Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
May try DA*300mm from Cameralensrental.com

I found lots of references to that site but no actual thumbs up from anybody in the forum that has used them. My bad if I just missed it. So...anybody know of a reason its not a good place to try before I buy a lens? If not, I think its cheap insurance to see if it really increases the number and IQ of my keepers.

I especially need something that focuses faster when I am trying to stay with critters on the move.

06-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well, crap...I just uncovered an un-thought of trade off for switching to Pentax...no more rentals from LensRentals.com...piffle!! hehehehe....thanks for the name of a different service.

I have done the same thing with lenses before and just wanted a fast weekend rental to try things out. I completely agree it is very cheap insurance to see how good the lens might be for what it's wanted for...good luck, I have my eye on the 300mm myself. Won't be for a while but never hurts to start paying attention.
06-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #3

I have rented from cameralensrentals.com several times. They communicate well and ship items well packed. They make use of Pelican cases. It allow me to try a lens before committing to it. For example, I learned that I liked the DA 21mm but not the DA 70mm. Small price to pay, IMHO.

-Pat
06-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

I just recently rented the DA*60-250 from them to try before I buy. It was a very positive experience. They worked with me on the dates to enable maximum use of the lens (10 days over two weekends) and everything went smoothly and perfect. I would definitely do business with them again.

06-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #5

I agree with the above comments. They really do a great all around job.
06-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, thats good enough for me. Lets see if I can post some DA* 300 shots for July with my rental. If it rains every day, bu-ha-ha-ha-haaaa! I have weather sealed camera AND lens!

Thanks everybody.
06-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
OK, thats good enough for me. Lets see if I can post some DA* 300 shots for July with my rental. If it rains every day, bu-ha-ha-ha-haaaa! I have weather sealed camera AND lens!

Thanks everybody.
Not to mention for a few grand LESS...1D series bid >$3k, 70-200mm f/2.8IS ~ $1700 w/o rebate total >=$4700

K-7 <= $1300, DA* 300 rental for a week, $200(???) = $1500...

Plus...the lens is a RENTAL and you paid the extra for the insurance!! Kinda like driving a rental car in downtown NYC, LA or SF during rush hour in 100-degree weather...just yell out the window "ya best let me in...IT'S A RENTAL...AND I GOT THE INSURANCE!!..."

Sounds like it will be fun for you!!

06-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If I do it correctly, it will be like work since I really need to compare my results from an hour in the marsh with results from the 55-300mm. It needs to be a grand better. I will take a 3 week rental to be sure but if after that time I find my pics look only marginally better and I didn't really produce more keepers, I will have to pass on the buy. Maybe the money is better spent on lessons! Lets see if the LBA is really controllable once you have held the gold in your hand.
06-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sounds like a great plan for sure!

Since I am new to the whole Pentax world, but have long worried about the lack of more ruggedly built gear in my price range, I look at the sealing of the DA* series as worth a grand over the life span of the lens all by itself. This way one can drag your gear, as a hobby shooter, pretty much anywhere and know it is not gonna get ruined if dropped in a puddle or whatever mishap comes along in a wet and squishy form.

More important to me is the issue of dust and grit accumulation over the years. I sort of suspect that is the real reason many lenses do not have sealing these days...it keeps consumers dumping lenses after a couple years in order to avoid failure from simple ambient environmental crud buidling up inside the lens.

So, since I was ready to plop down $1100 on a 70-200 f/4IS then I can justify my switch and use that case to get one shorter sealed lens and couple other general use lenses. And later I will add either the DA* 300 or the 60-200 to go with the 50-135...it would be AWESOME if Pentax would add a 100-300 to the DA* line in the next few years. Even if it was $2k I would probably go for it. But I am warming up to the mostly primes idea that I NEVER would have with my Canon gear as the prices are, for the most part, ~2x more.

BTW, thanks for explaining your plan and sharing the results...it helps a lot!!
06-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #10

buying from cameralensrental?

Does anyone have any experience with actually purchasing a lens from cameralensrental.com? I know that their website says that if you rent a lens from them and then decide to buy it, a percentage of the rental fee is credited towards the purchase. Does anyone know what this percentage tends to be? And are their prices more in line with brand new street prices or with used market prices? I don't think I would pay retail for a lens that has been shipped around and used by who knows how many photographers, but being able to try it out first would be nice.
06-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Damn good question. Hope we have some answers on that, but if not I will ask when I rent.

edit- the answer is as follows from their FAQ:

I just rented a lens or body from you and I would like to buy it. Can I get any sort of rental credit?
You bet! Selling our lenses and bodies helps keep our inventory fresh and our lenses like new. A lot of people like to try before they buy. If you rent the lens or body and decide you like it you are more than welcome to purchase it. A percentage of the rental (to be determined) based on the length and cost of the rental will be applied. If you decide you want to purchase the lens or body just let us know and we will get you a price. If you agree to the price we will charge your credit card for the purchase amount. Once that is done we will email you a receipt and snail mail you all the rest. We will send you a copy of the original receipt, original packaging (still mint), and anything else that came with the lens or body from the time of our purchase.

Last edited by imtheguy; 06-21-2009 at 10:15 PM.
06-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE #1 - Its Rented!!!!!! Had to make sure no family events would interrupt my 3-week rental so its not until July 15 - August 5. Don't bother calling me, I won't be answering the phone. Lets see if I need a 1.7 TC to go with it now.....
06-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
If I do it correctly, it will be like work since I really need to compare my results from an hour in the marsh with results from the 55-300mm. It needs to be a grand better.
Very interesting plan. I've had two copies of the 55-300 and actually i really liked the lens.

Please report back your findings, and post some pictures!