Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #1

Metering Screw-mounts

I've haven't been able to find a post on this (I'm sure there's been one though)... how is the metering handled with screw-mount lenses on the K20D? I use several SMC-M lenses, and I'm familiar with the green-button metering. I wanted to try an old Takumar since I don't have one in my bag already.

Last edited by wildboar; 06-21-2009 at 07:25 AM.
06-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Green button in M mode, right?
I was using M mode and green button with K-mounts.
With M42 I'm using A mode, since I manually stop down before pressing the shutter. Interesting though, in M mode the metering is accurate with green button, while in A mode I need to compensate EV up to +2, to get the same exposure time.
06-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes... M mode... use aperture ring... green button to stop-down meter... shoot.

With the Takumars, does the aperture actually close down when you turn the aperture-ring (visible in the viewfinder)? Or, does it work like the M and A lenses where the aperture doesn't actually change until you hit the shutter or the green button?
06-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Taks (maybe not all of them) and a few other M42 lenses have a mechanical switch Auto-Manual.
I use it to preset the aperture (an preferably keep it for a few shots). Then manual focus (obviously), and use the switch to stop down. In A mode (with previously mentioned EV adj), the camera will automatically adjust the exposure time. If I find it inadequate (exposure time that is), I can change the aperture or the ISO.
Oh, I forgot to mention, Taks are sure bet.