Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
problem autofocusing with 77mm 1.8 limited

hi there everyone, wanted to check with you guys before i ship my beloved 77mm off to pentax for repair...

got the lens 3 months ago, two days ago it was still as sweet as usual, yesterday when i took it out to shoot i noticed that it refuses to focus on anything beyond 3 feet... so, i checked the camera settings (k200d) all fine, i cleaned (gently) the contact sensors, i checked the lens itself to make sure aperture ring was on auto, everything seems fine... but the lens will not focus on anything farther than 3 feet, both, in auto and manual focus... any ideas? suggestions? something i might have missed?

and no, i didn't drop it, lens, mirror and sensor are clean, and yes, fresh batteries are loaded and a working sd card inserted... all my other lenses, including the old manuals work without a glitch...

anyone else has had similar problem? anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated...

kora

06-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You say that it fails to focus manually as well? Sounds like something is broken and binding inside the lens and sending it off for service is your best option.

Steve
06-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
well... the mechanism of the lens itself seems to be functioning fine... no abnormal motion or sound...
06-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by korafotomorgana Quote
well... the mechanism of the lens itself seems to be functioning fine... no abnormal motion or sound...
If the focus ring does not move freely, lock-to-lock, with the lens off the camera, the focus mechanism is either damaged or there is some sort of debris jamming the mechanism. From your description, this sounds like a serious issue that is unlikely to "fix itself" and definitely not something you want to take on as a do-it-yourself project.

Steve

P.S. Oh! BTW...I just noticed that you are a new member. Welcome to the forum. Hopefully your future posts will not involve such dire situations!

06-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
you're right steve... i was hoping to rule out everything but the obvious... took the lens off the cam and seems that as long as i'm holding the lens pointing down i get a free range motion, holding it straight there seems to be some obstruction in the mechanism... oh well.. off to pentax repair facility it goes... i guess i'll just slap the manual 24mm and forego candid night bar scenes and street shots for the next few weeks... thanks for your time

k
06-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had much the same problem with my 77 when about six months old. The internal focussing ring had decoupled from the lens. Pentax Australian agents repaired it and returned in two weeks. No problems since.

Good Luck

David
06-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
ha! you figure with a limited glass they would take more care... then again... i throw my camera in the bag everyday... and i've been shooting with that lens 99% of the time since march... i thought with all metal construction i'd be safe bouncing around the city with it... you give me hope david

06-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

you're right steve... i was hoping to rule out everything but the obvious... took the lens off the cam and seems that as long as i'm holding the lens pointing down i get a free range motion, holding it straight there seems to be some obstruction in the mechanism... oh well.. off to pentax repair facility it goes... i guess i'll just slap the manual 24mm and forego candid night bar scenes and street shots for the next few weeks... thanks for your time

k
We are a helpful bunch here! Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious. Glad to help.

Steve
06-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
many thanks steve... i wanted to explore all before i parted with the babe... thank you
06-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

hi there everyone, wanted to check with you guys before i ship my beloved 77mm off to pentax for repair...

got the lens 3 months ago, two days ago it was still as sweet as usual, yesterday when i took it out to shoot i noticed that it refuses to focus on anything beyond 3 feet... so, i checked the camera settings (k200d) all fine, i cleaned (gently) the contact sensors, i checked the lens itself to make sure aperture ring was on auto, everything seems fine... but the lens will not focus on anything farther than 3 feet, both, in auto and manual focus... any ideas? suggestions? something i might have missed?

and no, i didn't drop it, lens, mirror and sensor are clean, and yes, fresh batteries are loaded and a working sd card inserted... all my other lenses, including the old manuals work without a glitch...

anyone else has had similar problem? anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated...

kora
Had a similar thing happen with my Sigma 10-20. Out of the blue I lost only the AF infinity focus. I could dial it in manually but AF never went beyond, coincidently, 3ft. I just sent in and they did a fast repair and viola is was perfect just in time for me to decide to switch gear...niiiiiice.

The had to replace the drive assembly and some related stuff. Nice part was it came beack even sharper than before it went wonky.
06-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Probably just some screws weren't tightened & threadlocked well enough from the factory. Not exactly uncommon and it will be a quick fix.
06-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
thanks guys... i'm so infatuated with that glass i'm probably going to take a sabatical from shooting... lol... or reintroduce myself to the 24mm... but that's a whole different relationship right there...
06-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

thanks guys... i'm so infatuated with that glass i'm probably going to take a sabatical from shooting... lol... or reintroduce myself to the 24mm... but that's a whole different relationship right there...
Isn't that called stalking?

Mine should be here this week, but I will have to just look at it sitting on the shelf until the K-7 arrives. I am currently in-between camera companies...selling all my Canon stuff to move to the K-7 setup. Worse yet I have also ordered the DA 35mm macro and a DA* 50-135mm...all of which will just sit and mock me until I have a body on which to mount them. So, look at it this way, you could be in my situation!
06-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #14

Original Poster
stalking? you know me... don't you? lol sadly i won't be doing any stalking unless i use the tamron 18-200... which by now probably rusted from lack of use... lol

i think you got some masochistic tendencies... to allow yourself to be in that situation... i go to the store, buy the glass, promptly mount it on the cam before i leave the store... start shooting as i step out... lol... i've read the k7 reviews... pretty good, finally a decent ui with the menus... although honestly i could care less for the video option...
06-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

hahahaha....takes one to recognise one it seems!! hehehehe....

I know, it is going to be a test of patience about just looking though the lenses at the brightest light in the room.

I am also with you about the video option, I can tell ya that is the one feature I never see myself using other than out of curiosity. I am sure it works great, the video in the 5D MkII is pretty amazing from what I have seen. Still, other than spontaneous video moments I just don't consider it a positive feature.

For me the K7 is why I am switching to Pentax from Canon. I liked the K20D last year but for there were things, like Liveview that were not quite fully gestated that were to be had on the 40D. Still it came down to a choice between the two. Not sorry i went Canon but I do not see any reason to now stay with the brand.

The weather sealing is amazing in what, to me, is a very important feature. One that I can only wonder why other brands to not already have in all their bodies.

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-20-2009 at 12:22 AM.