Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

Help me choose a WA

I am having a bad time trying to find a WA lens.
To make the story short, I own a DA40, M28, M50 1,7 & A50 2, M135 3,5. As a prime shooter, I realized 90% of my shots are out of the DA40 which is a perfect lens (at least for me). I like its angle, and find the autofocus convenient in most situations. I do use my other lenses, but way less often.
I'd like to change my point of view and go wider. So I chose the DA21 because it was DA40 little brother. I first found out it is really hard to find here, only on order and really expensive. Other users (like all ppl I met) let me know this lens is hard to find and the "weakest" limited prime. I have to admit this is in line with reviews
So I am now thinking about the DA15, but reviews I read where really not stellar. I like the size, but if I get better quality with the 12-24 ... I think it is hard to accept. The DA14 is to big and I am not really looking for 2,8 ...
So now my choice is between 15 and 21, which are both expensive (15 less than 21 ... weirdly) or forget about wide and try to go for DFA100 ... which would be good for macro and portrait.

Anybody has an advice or a suggestion? (I do know I am a sever lba case).

06-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Julien Quote
I am having a bad time trying to find a WA lens.
To make the story short, I own a DA40, M28, M50 1,7 & A50 2, M135 3,5. As a prime shooter, I realized 90% of my shots are out of the DA40 which is a perfect lens (at least for me). I like its angle, and find the autofocus convenient in most situations. I do use my other lenses, but way less often.
I'd like to change my point of view and go wider. So I chose the DA21 because it was DA40 little brother. I first found out it is really hard to find here, only on order and really expensive. Other users (like all ppl I met) let me know this lens is hard to find and the "weakest" limited prime. I have to admit this is in line with reviews
So I am now thinking about the DA15, but reviews I read where really not stellar. I like the size, but if I get better quality with the 12-24 ... I think it is hard to accept. The DA14 is to big and I am not really looking for 2,8 ...
So now my choice is between 15 and 21, which are both expensive (15 less than 21 ... weirdly) or forget about wide and try to go for DFA100 ... which would be good for macro and portrait.

Anybody has an advice or a suggestion? (I do know I am a sever lba case).
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 16mm f2.8 Fisheye

...and you can defish in programs like PTLens.
06-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
I second that inexpensive and tremendously fun lens

Zenitar 16 FE- presentation and samples: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

These are long lists of happy users

Daniel
06-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Julien, I actually find the DA 21mm to be indispensable. Even if I'm not sure I'll be using it for a particular situation, it is usually in the bag because it is so small. Optically it does show some barrel distortion but it is sharp and contrasty enough for my needs.

If you're looking to go wider, either the DA 14 or compact DA 15 primes will do the job. But if you're ok with the size of the DA 14 and want something more versatile, then a ultra-wide zoom the DA 12-24 or third party alternatives might fit the bill.

06-24-2009, 03:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
hum, not sure. My goal is to get either the da21 (if I can find it at an affortable price) or the da15.
I am only concerned about bad comments about both lenses (including reviews). I d like to have real field comments about them.
06-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For *any* lens, someone somewhere won't like it and will give it a bad review. But the majority of reviews for both of those lenses have been very postive - the DA21 in particular sometimes being cited as the best reason to shoot Pentax in the first place. I wouldn't be concerned about the small minority of dissenters.