Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mount dilemma

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've got myself a Pentacon lens, and the seller has an M42 adapter fitted, and since i have a K10, i thought i'd get a Pentacon / K adapter.

I have since been told that it will not fit, and that i have to buy an M42 > K adapter, thereby having 2 adapters. Isnt this going to throw up some problems ?

Here's what the lens and M42 look like - with M42 fitted and then removed

And here's the adapter i bought ( on its way from China ) but which i've been told will not fit the above lens ??

Any ideas welcome

06-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't see any reasons for the Pentacon-Pk adapter not doing the job. Buying a M42-k adapter should work too, but I see no reasons to use two adapter when one will do the job. When using too many adapters, you can end up with accuracy problems.
06-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Igilligan

That is a big lens

That is huge... what pentacon lens is it? It looks like the Pentacon to PK is too small for that lens... but that flanged part on the m42 adaptor might work on the PK to pentacon...

let us know what happens when you get the adaptor. I think the M42 to K would work fine with the M42 mount, but wow that looks like a heavy lens.

-edit- on second look it looks like it would work...
06-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys - well looking at the M42 adapter, its seperate from the mounting ring, as you can see from the photo where it is de-mounted.

But look at the Pentacon > K adapter, it kinda looks like all one piece , so i'm a little concerned.

Well its gonna take about 2 weeks to get the K adapter from China, so i wont know for a while.

The lens is a Prime 500mm F5.6. ..3.3 Kg i'm told... Ouch !

06-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm guessing it's the Pentacon 300/4. Anyhoo, the problem you have is that the Pentacon-PK adapter you're thinking about is a Pentacon Six mount to Pentax K mount adapter.

Your lens, made by Pentacon, has an interchangeable mount, and is currently fitted with an M42 mount. The problem is, you unscrew that and you have no mount left. Those lenses also come in the Pentacon Six flavor, but that is another type of mount that needs to be screwed onto that base system. Kind of like Tamron Adaptall system.
06-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh hell - i've just bought an adapter thats going to be useless.

Trouble is, I searched for Pentacon to K adapter, and thats what i found. If I want an adapter to fit, how am i going to search for one - by that, i mean what words would i use ? Words like Pentacon to K adpater searches, all point to the same adpater, like the one i bought, so thats why i bought it.

Last edited by Squier; 06-22-2009 at 11:33 AM.
06-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There's a bit of info here ... this guy reckons he has a 6TL adapter which i've never heard of, and M42 mount, and that others are available, but other than the one i just bought, which could be wrong, i havent yet found any other adapters

Fuwen's Web Site - Zeiss / Pentacon 500/5.6

06-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
There's a bit of info here ... this guy reckons he has a 6TL adapter which i've never heard of, and M42 mount, and that others are available, but other than the one i just bought, which could be wrong, i havent yet found any other adapters
This is a summery of what I have read in the twenty minutes or so:

The 6TL was a Pentacon camera model which had a large bayonet lens mount which became known as the Pentacon-6 mount.

Your lens seems to have a large screw mount for which adapters were available.

You have a lens to M42 adapter and a Pentacon-6 to Pentax K adapter.

"this guy" has a lens to M42 adapter and a lens to Pentacon-6 adapter. He also has a Pentacon-6 to M42 adapter.

Your fastest option seems to be an M42 to Pentax K adapter. There are several available on ebay UK.

A better option may be a lens to Pentacon-6 adapter and your Pentacon-6 to Pentax K but it might take some finding.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
06-23-2009, 03:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think Alfa... has got it right (welcome to the forum BTW).

Squier, don't put that P6-adapter away, it is very useful and worth about 30 pounds Sterling upwards. You can put the legendary CZJ Sonnar 180/2.8 on it (that's Hinman's "football lens").

As has been said before, your Pentacon is an M42 lens (with the extension you are having), so you just need an M42 to Pentax-K-mount adapter. However, there is not much seat area on that particular extension. Still worth a try I think and then you have an M42 adapter which will pull you fast into the LBA-abyss :-)

Best, Georg (the other)
06-23-2009, 04:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info guys.

I have emailed a seller called Grizzlybear in Czechoslavakia and he has informed me that you guys who said i need an M42 > K mount adapter are correct.

The one i bought from China is NOT the right adpater. So it looks like i will have to use 2 adpaters in the end, which is something i didnt want to do, but apparently there is no Pentacon to K mount adapter.

So no choice but to buy an M42 > K mount. Also i will buy the genuine Pentax item, as reading up here about 3rd party m42 - K adapters, they are not that good.

Last edited by Squier; 06-23-2009 at 04:28 AM.
06-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My guess is the thread at the wider end is M62, easy to measure with some verniers. That adapter at the narrower end is probably M42 and the genuine Pentax M42 adapter is the one you will need to mount it. That's assuming it has a 1 mm thread pitch. If the thread pitch is different it's T mount and they have Pentax bayonet adapters as well. A thread gauge is needed there to measure the thread pitch, a cheap buy in engineering supply shops.
Once you get the adapter sorted we want some decent pics btw.
06-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #12
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
... in Czechoslovakia...
Not a recent seller I suppose as Czechoslovakia split up to Czech Republic and Slovakia in 1993.

All these different mounts and adapters can be a pain. I only have one M42 lens and one Adaptall-2 lens (with the PK/A adapter) and I'm seriously thinking if even M42's worth the trouble. (The "trouble" being having to separately remove the lens and the adapter, which is quite slow compared to switching K mount lenses)
06-23-2009, 04:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi again...yes, as soon as i can track down an adapter, i will shoot some pics and post up.

EMR, yes correct - he's in the Czech republic. Very good reputation too, from what i've read. He messaged back real quick too. Very helpful

eBay My World - grizzly33bear
06-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

M42s are definetely worth the minimal worry. Take out a batch of them for the day with the mount sitting in the camera and the lens swap is as easy as opening or closing a jam jar.
06-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd only need the 1 adapter - i dont have any other M42 lenses, so it would be even easier for me. Just leave the adpater on the end of the lens