Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #1

DA 35mm Macro problem

well I see why prodigital2000 is so much less money.
I just recieved the DA 35mm limited and there is a grinding noise when you turn the focusing ring --- even when it is not mounted on the camera. My DA70mm does not exhibit this behavior. So I called Pentax USA and they said send it in for repair. I did not mention that it was from canada. I have not called prodigital2000 because I really do not have any experience with them on returns. Or maybe someone here knows a quick fix for this??? as they say bummer dude !!!! Suggestions and opinions are all welcome

Kman

06-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear this about such a great lens.
I'm wondering, does it have any trouble focusing compared with your DA 70?
Is the grinding noise associated with difficulty adjusting focus, or does it sound like there's loose parts within the lens?
I don't have a DA 35, but could it be normal for the lens?
06-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sorry to hear this about such a great lens.
I'm wondering, does it have any trouble focusing compared with your DA 70?
Is the grinding noise associated with difficulty adjusting focus, or does it sound like there's loose parts within the lens?
I don't have a DA 35, but could it be normal for the lens?
I have not really shot many images with it ---but it seemed to be ok with what little testing i have done ---

according to pentax usa it is not normal for any noise when it is not on a camera body

I also just spoke to the retailer in Canada and they said to ship it back and they will get me a new one. Whew, that it is good, I still like my friends up north in Canada ( especially the Molson folks LOL )

kman
06-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Prodigital2000 (should be? was?) an authorized dealer so if you bought it there you'll still have your 1 year international warranty anyway. Glad to hear they're taking the appropriate measures though.

Talking about grinding noise, my 10-17 have some grinding noise when turning the focusing ring, but I have heard reports that it's normal with this particular lens. Never heard of such a thing with da 35 though.

06-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
I understand your frustration, but are you saying that their low prices reflect inferior quality goods? I've bought a K100D, a K20D, a DA*16-50, DA*50-135, DA*200, DA*300, DA10-17, AF540FGZ from them with no problems. I wasn't sure about the edge softness wide open with the 16-50 so they took it back without hesitation (at their expense) for examination. They have always been very helpful with any billing or shipping issues that have happened.

Lemons are bound to crop up from time to time, but I don't think Prodigital has any higher failure rate than any other retailer. Sorry to hear about your problems, I hope Prodigital and/or Pentax does what's right for you.
06-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
I just recieved the DA 35mm limited and there is a grinding noise when you turn the focusing ring --- even when it is not mounted on the camera. My DA70mm does not exhibit this behavior. So I called Pentax USA and they said send it in for repair. I did not mention that it was from canada. I have not called prodigital2000 because I really do not have any experience with them on returns. Or maybe someone here knows a quick fix for this??? as they say bummer dude !!!! Suggestions and opinions are all welcome

Kman
Kman: I have a DA 35mm and there is absolutely no noise with the turn of the focus ring. I would have it checked out.

OT: It is nice to see another Pentaxian from the "The Fort." I was born and raised there and since moved on down South.

Let us know how it goes with your dealings with Prodigital.
06-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
I understand your frustration, but are you saying that their low prices reflect inferior quality goods? I've bought a K100D, a K20D, a DA*16-50, DA*50-135, DA*200, DA*300, DA10-17, AF540FGZ from them with no problems. I wasn't sure about the edge softness wide open with the 16-50 so they took it back without hesitation (at their expense) for examination. They have always been very helpful with any billing or shipping issues that have happened.

Lemons are bound to crop up from time to time, but I don't think Prodigital has any higher failure rate than any other retailer. Sorry to hear about your problems, I hope Prodigital and/or Pentax does what's right for you.
It was an apparenty bad joke ---- I am not that much of a moron, unless you ask my wife LOL ( this another BAD joke --- sorry )

kman
06-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Kman: I have a DA 35mm and there is absolutely no noise with the turn of the focus ring. I would have it checked out.

OT: It is nice to see another Pentaxian from the "The Fort." I was born and raised there and since moved on down South.

yes I am going to return it for a new one --- oh well stuff happens --- at least the good folks at prodigital 2000 are cool about it

oh yes the "Fort" I have been here for 50 years --- when did you live here??
you should probably PM me though

kman