Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
Igilligan

They are almost heavenly

For me it is the subtle Purple Fringing that sets the Pentax lenses apart from the others. Especially when it comes to the 'Limited' Primes.

It can cast an almost spiritual glow over your subject... turning a common blue jay into heavenly bird. I can only compare it to the beautiful halo's of the angels in Renaissance paintings.

Nothing like the PF of third party lenses, that almost look like a child took a blue marker and drew on the photo.

06-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
I can't commend much on Pentex's LTD range of lenses but I will be owning a few of them very soon. All you need to do is compare a conikon kit 18-55 to a new Pentax 18-55 lens.

Pentax lenses are normal cheaper for the same IQ as conikon. Saying the same this in a different way, Canon and Nikon glass isn't worse there just more costly.
obviously Pentax have a lot to offer for entry level as well

but "best glass" will usually not be in the entry level category in any brand
06-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #18

Take a look at the Takumar club

Ed
06-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #19
Inactive Account

The 77 ltd says, "Hi".

c[_]

06-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I prefer not to try to quanitify the matter but I own both Canon and Pentax and when I'm looking through the photos in lightroom and I get to an image I particularly like I can almost always tell if the image came from the Pentax and if I have the same image in both pentax and Canon I almost always prefer the Pentax image.

This assessment is quite seperate from the fact that I would go broke trying to stock up on Canon glass that I apparently don't like as much as Pentax anyway.

Having said that Canon does bring other things to the table and it is those other things that lead me to owning a Canon
06-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Howzit Guys

I have read in quite a few threads of members who swear that the Pentax lenses are in a league of there own and one of the main reason why they wouldn't switch to another brand of DSLR.
I use Pentax not because the lenses are vastly superior to Canon, but the price/performance is vastly higher. If money is no object, then I think you can get very good glass from Canon and Nikon. I know people who only shoot Canon 'L' glass and get great images, especially when combined with the 5D.

Of course, the Canon/Nikon wide angle lenses have no stabalization, which is a little sad. I had a great time using my 10-17mm fisheye in low light - with IS, I could hand hold slow enough to blur people in a place where tripods were not allowed.

If you compare the Pentax 55mm f1.4 with the Canon 50mm lenses, the indication is that the Pentax is superior, even to the f1.2.
06-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
PS: as all other brands Pentax lenses have strenghts and weknesses, it's just that people choose brands according to which weaknesses they are willing to overlook because if the strenghts...

BR
Peter
I'm agree. pentax lenses had character.
06-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I was a Nikon film person... but after seeing digital images then lenses by a Pentax user I have never looked back.

I just love Pentax glass especially the 2 x FA limiteds I have. I am now one of those that do not even look at or consider Sigma Tamron etc, it must be Pentax because it was the Pentax lens that converted me.

Neil

06-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For whichever forums you visited, people will tell you their lenses were the best. Every manufacturers have their share of great and poor lenses. As a Pentax users for 2 decades, I feel there are only a handful Pentax lenses which are truly awesome and rival others. If just considering what Pentax offer today, the Limited lenses are awesome on built quality, not bad but certainly not the best optically. Most others are just pedestrian optics with sugar coated bodies.
06-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
For whichever forums you visited, people will tell you their lenses were the best. Every manufacturers have their share of great and poor lenses. As a Pentax users for 2 decades, I feel there are only a handful Pentax lenses which are truly awesome and rival others. If just considering what Pentax offer today, the Limited lenses are awesome on built quality, not bad but certainly not the best optically. Most others are just pedestrian optics with sugar coated bodies.
I would argue that lenses like the 50-135 rival anything Canon or Nikon have, at a much better price.
06-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
I would argue that lenses like the 50-135 rival anything Canon or Nikon have, at a much better price.
Then you should try the EF70-200/4L IS which is a hallmark design.
06-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've not noticed such a difference in forum gallery images that makes me say, "oh I have to have that lens". There is much more involved in producing an image than the lens. People are led to believe what they want to :-)
06-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

If I would be willing to walk around with a HUGE slow white lens with a red strip on it I would be shooting canon

every day I look and my Pentax kit = K20D + 3 primes

and then the guy next to me at my office=5D MKII + 24-70 2.8

we both love shooting street ...

he have 5 years more experience then I do and I must say he is an amazing photographer

on a daily basis I get better results with approaching people on the street then he is... and it is purely BC its easier for me to walk around with my camera
walking around with his kit is a full time workout

image quality wise the 24-70 is an OK zoom... nothing that match the 31mm or even my F 50 1.7
he does have a real 24mm length with his kit which I am currently missing

bottom line it is very very hard to natch the IQ of the Ltd's and if a small amazingly sharp prime is what you need then Pentax is the kit for you.

if you don't mind walking around with the 70-200 f/4 you should consider Canon
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #29
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really the Best?

Before one can recognize the superlative one must define the normative.
06-25-2009, 05:49 AM   #30

Agreed - that is an great lens. Is it better than the Pentax 50-135? Possibly, but I don't think it is twice as good, and it is twice as much. (I realize it is a bit apples and oranges, as it is longer but lower f-stop)

I want to make sure that no one thinks I am saying that Canon and Nikon don't make some of the best lenses; they clearly do. And Pentax makes some cheap and crappy lenses to.

But, looking at similar price points, I found that Pentax was much better for my needs. Or looking at similar lenses (16-50mm f2.8), the Canon and Nikon were much more expensive.

Bodies will come and go, but lenses I will keep for a long time. And with body based IS, I can get better IS as technology improves without upgrading my lenses.

(As an aside, I much prefer Pentax's body ergonomics to Canon.)

YMMV, and I respect anyone who chooses Canon or Nikon. When I was looking for my first DSLR, I was told that any modern DSLR is capable of producing great images in the hands of a great photographer.

IMHO, the best upgrade you can make it so buy Amazon.com: The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos: Michael Freeman: Books

;}