Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #1

question about old Nikkor lens

Hi all,
I got a Nikkor lens (50mm F1.4) today. It is bigger/heavier than pentax lens, feels very solid. But its focus/aperture rings are not as smooth as pentax's.
This is my first Nikkor lens. When I mount it ( I am not even sure if I mounted it in right way), I can only rotate it slightly. It seems stay on my pentax fine, but I really don't feel secure about it.
After I took a close look of the mount, I noticed that there's a screw which is above the surface. See the picture below.
I wonder if I need to remove or replace that screw.
Thanks.

Attached Images

06-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I modified a 105mm Nikkor lens and removed that screw. I don't think it's the limiting factor when mounting it on a Pentax body though.

What I did was sand down the aperture flange to get a closer fit and drilled a lock-hole in the proper position to get it to lock onto my k10d.
06-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply Nachodog. You have done nice work in converting the lens! I wish I have the right tools to do the same.
06-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Main tools I used are: Orbital sander (though maybe a belt sander would work better) and a dremel rotary tool.

06-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks like you may have the same lens I own, I think I have a Nikkor-S 1.4/50. I'll have to look if my copy has the same screw, but don't expect to be able to rotate any Nikkor very far on the K mount. Each version mounts differently on K mount bodies (in fact, I have a K mount Ricoh film body that won't accept any of my Nikon-mount lenses while several of them fit my K10D), so don't expect what works on Nachodog's 105mm to hold true for your 50.

Some Nikkors rotate far enough to lock in and others barely rotate (or don't mount at all). So long as the lens it is firmly held by friction on the body, you should be fine. I've not had a problem with any of my F mount lenses coming off of my K10D, but I don't swing around my camera trying to get them loose, either.

If you want to be sure it won't come off, you have to convert the mount or alter the Nikon mount like Nachodog did. That's not possible on every Nikkor (even among versions of the same type of lens, i.e. 50mm f/1.4 lenses, where there are many non-AI, AI, and AI-S versions out there). SOldBear has a lot of experience with Nikkors on K-mount bodies, perhaps you should PM him--if he doesn't find this thread on his own, of course.

Last edited by indytax; 06-26-2009 at 01:13 PM.
06-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

my Vivitar 24mm f2 in F mount fits so badly that it had fallen off the camera recently and now it won't mount any more at all! - that is not any more at the '2 o'clock' position, it does mount at the '6 O'clock position with the indications facing downwards, but there the aperture ring only can be moved between 3 middle f stops, I can't open wide nor close down completely ( it had fallen on a tiled floor from about 1 meter, the lens did not break but as a consequence the aperture ring had become very tight. Fortunately I am in Vietnam now where I got that fixed for little money )

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
I modified a 105mm Nikkor lens and removed that screw. I don't think it's the limiting factor when mounting it on a Pentax body though.

What I did was sand down the aperture flange to get a closer fit and drilled a lock-hole in the proper position to get it to lock onto my k10d.
the Vivitar does not have that screw, but I would be VERY grateful Nachodog if you could expound further on the other conversion steps, I really want to make this lens work!

thank you,
kuuan - andreas

Last edited by kuuan; 06-27-2009 at 12:48 PM.
06-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
mine is Nikkor-S-C, probably older than Nikkor-S.

Nachodog's conversion post is here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/58151-nikkor-1...n-ai-k10d.html
but his image links seem dead.

06-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I checked my Nikkor-S & it has the screw, too, but it doesn't appear to effect mounting in any way.
06-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

thank you idler, very kind, much appreciated!
06-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by idler Quote
mine is Nikkor-S-C, probably older than Nikkor-S.

Nachodog's conversion post is here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/58151-nikkor-1...n-ai-k10d.html
but his image links seem dead.
Yeah, I accidentally killed them... it was an accident I swear officer!

Anyways, I have a recently acquired micro-Nikkor-P 55mm that I'm going to alter soon. I'll make a new post with pictures along the way.

Be warned though, I'm nowhere near any kind of expert when it comes to these kinds of modifications. I'm just a guy with a dremel and some sense of how things work. I just do what seems to work, and most times it's quick-and-dirty.
06-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

oh that would be great Nachodog.

I am not confident yet to fiddle with my 24/f2 lens. I remember once having run across a thread in which someone expianed how he had altered / 'dremeled' the mount of his camera to make F mount lenses fit better and lock. I would not dare that, but sanding down the respective mount parts on the lens must work just as well.

I had tried to mount various F mount lenses and they all stayed put better than the one I finaly got, the Vivitar 24mm f2. As mentioned it does not stay on any more at all, so I have to do something about it.

best greetings,
kuuan - andreas