Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #31
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Is the FA 31mm f/1.8 Ltd not an option? I have that, and the DA 40mm Ltd f/2.8. I love the size of the 40 but the faster 31mm seems to win out despite being larger.
How often during day shoot you need your lens to be faster then f2.8?
I do own both 31 and 40, and though I was contemplating selling my 40 I soon realised it would be a huge mistake.
Say you are going out with 70-200 (as I did today) or something else of similar size/range. You're not bothered with bag or other stuff like that, but you want to have wide option, just in case, one neverknows....
I couldn't/wouldn't put 31 to my trouser pocket, 40?? no problem. In the end I didn't use it, but it sure felt good to know it's right there in the pocket if I needed it.
As for rendition, with nowadays PPing techniques I doubt you'd see big (if any) difference between those two at f4 or 5.6. I mean having pics side by side at 100% you'd see difference for sure, but If I'd show you 10 pics one after another I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference...
By no means I want to degrade reputation of 31, it's the greatest lens I own, hands down. It's capabilities are amazing, but you'd kind of expect it. On the other side 40 is probably biggest underdog (along with 21) in current Pentax line up (if not in history).
People keep moaning it's slow, but nobody minds f2.8 zooms or DA35 being only f2.8. It's even distribution of sharpness accross the field is unmatched by anything, the only lens with less distortion accrding to photozone is DA35, and from f8 onwards 40 is sharper than FA35, DA35 and even FA31. This lens deserves a lot more credit it's given....

06-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #32
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
DA40 is lauded as being one of the lenses to end all lenses on this site (like the FA31 and FA77), unfortunately anyone I've spoken to in person who has used it (myself included) don't really like it. Yes, it focusses quickly, yes it has a unique focal length, yes it has nice sharpness across the frame (as does DA70 and DA21), but it's incredibly small and can be difficult to handle. YMMV, but everyone I've spoken to (outside of this forum) isn't really impressed with it.

Any are fine choices, and really the differences are only subtleties. It comes down to this...do you want f2, do you want macro, do you want extremely small?

c[_]
first highlight:
speaking to yourself doesn't count .... just tongue in cheek
second highlight and part of first:
I don't think you've met the right people then... you want to go for drink? we can discuss the lenses.
red highlight:
totaly agree with you here, it's all about what one needs/wants, not what others say about lenses...

BR
Peter
06-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snaaark Quote
@alex
im not that much convinced about the superiority of the 16-45 vs the 18-55 kit. sure the 16-45 is has better quality and a nicer build quality but it is still f4 and im not sure if its worth upgrading (exept for the extra wideangle). what do you think?

anyway would it be wiser to get a superior zoom instead/before getting a standard prime or the other way round?

i was looking at the tamron 17-50 f2.8 before i thought about investing the money in a prime. it is said to compeet with the pentax glasses @f4 but still has the extra stop for lowlight. but then thought it would be a much more interesting experience to limit myself to a standard prime. not sure about that anymore but i dont think i have the money for both of them.
Well... to begin with, you'd be surprised how much 16-45 is better than the kit lens... no vignetting at wide end, sharp wide open, etc... However, if you can get the 17-50 for the same price - i'd get one. 2.8 is nice to have if you shoot in low-light more often than you don't... and 16-45's bokeh is somewhat harsh at the long end... What do these Tamrons go for nowadays?

As far as zoom vs prime... that my friend is up to you to decide... It all depends on you personal preference, shooting subjects... and budget... Primes will always have better IQ then zooms, but you need only 1 zoom lens to cover 3-4 primes...

That being said... limiting your-self to only one prime... well, that' s a heck of a decision... make sure to pick something in the 30mm range in this case... Though, personally i'd invest in a decent standard zoom... I don't like to be too limited...
06-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
What do these Tamrons go for nowadays?
the tamron goes around 330+ € and the pentax around 290+ €

QuoteQuote:
That being said... limiting your-self to only one prime... well, that' s a heck of a decision...
yeah that would give the pentax limited series a whole new meaning

QuoteQuote:
make sure to pick something in the 30mm range in this case... Though, personally i'd invest in a decent standard zoom... I don't like to be too limited...
well that was why my preselection included the da35, fa35 and da40...
i thought about the tamron in the first place but then thought to keep my kit (selling it didnt make no sense anyway) and getting a nice prime. but im not that sure now..

06-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
im not that much convinced about the superiority of the 16-45 vs the 18-55 kit. sure the 16-45 is has better quality and a nicer build quality but it is still f4 and im not sure if its worth upgrading (exept for the extra wideangle).
I would not say the DA16-45 has better build quality than the kit, but it does have better IQ plus the constant aperture. And 16mm is a lot wider than 18mm. I found it a substantial upgrade and considering the bargain price it was well worth it.

Unless you want to skip directly to the DA12-24mm then the DA16-45 is a great lens to get.
06-28-2009, 05:06 AM   #36
Veteran Member

At the risk of stating the obvious...

You should check the reviews on this site and elsewhere, not just for the content, but for the sample images. Flickr also has groups for most lenses, so it's easy to find lots of lens-specific images there too.

My DA40 is by far my favourite lens, but I haven't tried the other two. The DA35 is definitely on my wish list though: the images I've seen here and elsewhere from this lens are breathtaking.
06-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #37

Original Poster
the more i thought of it the more i really really liked alexs setup with the 12-24 and the 35 ltd. i think this setup could feed my needs quite well too although i would also through a 55-300 for telephotos in the box. the only problems is to get the d*mn money
06-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #38
Veteran Member

the more i thought of it the more i really really liked alexs setup with the 12-24 and the 35 ltd. i think this setup could feed my needs quite well too although i would also through a 55-300 for telephotos in the box. the only problems is to get the d*mn money
That's always a problem... especially with the last price increase... Another problem with my setup is that it's kinda asking to be complimented by the 50-135... I can't afford one just yet... but the 77lim does the job for now...

06-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
That's always a problem... especially with the last price increase... Another problem with my setup is that it's kinda asking to be complimented by the 50-135... I can't afford one just yet... but the 77lim does the job for now...
the 50-135 seems to be an absolutely gorgeous portrait lens from what ive seen but im sure the 77ltd is too. unfortunately both are out my pricerange.
one reason i looked at the 35s is that the da35 seems to rise in price and the fa35 beeing discontinued soon seem to be a great investment.
06-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #40

i guess what he ment was if getting enough light (for the AF to hold on to) seems to a problem sometimes. or do u think it is not that much of an issue most of the time.
Yes, that was exactly what i meant. I am not shooting interiors but insides. What I realized is that I dont have anything wider than my FA43 when shooting insides (fairs, etc.), except for my DA16-45 but it is f4 and high ISO is always needed. So I thought about DA35 (macro ability is nice to have) but the AF hunting can be a bit annoying after a while.

FA*24 and FA31 are also in my list.
06-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #41
Forum Member

Similar problem: 31mm vs 35mm vs 40 vs. 43mm

So I have the FA* 24mm and the FA 50mm. But I definitely need something in between. I'm definitely not going with the FA 35mm because I bought it and didn't like it. I ended up using the money to get a FA 77 limited.

So now I seriously need to fill out the 24 to 50mm range. I have four options:

FA 31mm limited
DA 35mm Macro
DA 40mm
FA 43mm.

I really don't know what to do. And I might end up getting two lenses. Right now I'm leaning FA 31 and then get the DA 40 for its convenience. Thoughts?
06-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vandamro Quote
So I have the FA* 24mm and the FA 50mm. But I definitely need something in between. I'm definitely not going with the FA 35mm because I bought it and didn't like it. I ended up using the money to get a FA 77 limited.
What didn't you like about the FA 35? It's one of the sharpest Pentax lenses even wide open, superb bokeh for a short FL, nice colours and contrast, decent construction. I love mine.
06-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #43
Forum Member

Well I'm beginning to question my judgement on this. At the time, I thought its colors were a bit dull/flat. But it could have been my LBA whispering the 31mm in my ear.
06-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Just ordered the DA40

I have been pulling my hair out trying to decide which lenses to buy and one of my decisions was between the DA35 macro or DA40. In the end i went for the 40 mainly because in Australia the 40 is half the price compared to the 35 macro. After doing much reading i figured that image quality with both these lenses were excellent. It is forums like this one that proved to be SO MUCH help to me.
cheers.
06-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vandamro Quote
Well I'm beginning to question my judgement on this. At the time, I thought its colors were a bit dull/flat. But it could have been my LBA whispering the 31mm in my ear.
I haven't used it enough to tell how contrasty it really is but flat colors? no way :b