Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vandamro Quote
So I have the FA* 24mm and the FA 50mm. But I definitely need something in between. I'm definitely not going with the FA 35mm because I bought it and didn't like it. I ended up using the money to get a FA 77 limited.

So now I seriously need to fill out the 24 to 50mm range. I have four options:

FA 31mm limited
DA 35mm Macro
DA 40mm
FA 43mm.

I really don't know what to do. And I might end up getting two lenses. Right now I'm leaning FA 31 and then get the DA 40 for its convenience. Thoughts?
if you still have the 35 and dont want it, you could send me a pm and give it to me for a discount !

06-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you like macro, then the DA 35 is a no-brainer. But I've been enormously impressed by it's capabilities in all situations (including landscape and people photography). I would say it's the nicest lens I've ever used. I chose it over the FA 35 because I already have a fast lens with my FA 50 f/1.4. But if Pentax ever goes full-frame, then you have a leg-up with the FA 35 and a nice, fast f2.0.

As for the DA 40, I'd choose it over the others only if macro didn't matter to me and if I didn't care about ever getting a FF body, if one is ever even produced.
07-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #48
Banned

As for me DA35 LTD is the worst lens I ever used.
Not very sharp, bokeh is like cotton wool.
But it's good macro lens and rather sharp for close distances/ special macro.

For me
1. FA31
2. FA35
3. DA40
4. DA35
07-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #49
Banned

FA 31mm limited
DA 35mm Macro
DA 40mm
FA 43mm.
FA43 - no doubts.

07-01-2009, 02:26 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
FA43 - no doubts.
I think the 43 is a bit too close for comfort of the fifty... the FA 31 or DA 35 would probably do better. Maybe sell the fifty, get 43 and 31?
07-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #51
Inactive Account

"DA40 is lauded as being one of the lenses to end all lenses on this site (like the FA31 and FA77), unfortunately anyone I've spoken to in person who has used it (myself included) don't really like it. Yes, it focusses quickly, yes it has a unique focal length, yes it has nice sharpness across the frame (as does DA70 and DA21), but it's incredibly small and can be difficult to handle. YMMV, but everyone I've spoken to (outside of this forum) isn't really impressed with it."....

???????? mmmmm...sharp as a tack, super quick AF, superb build and performance, very light, unique focal length......how can you not like it????

Difficult to handle????? Are you serious??? This lens is a DREAM to use!!!

Have you actually tried one?...I think not.
07-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackbullet Quote
"DA40 is lauded as being one of the lenses to end all lenses on this site (like the FA31 and FA77), unfortunately anyone I've spoken to in person who has used it (myself included) don't really like it. Yes, it focusses quickly, yes it has a unique focal length, yes it has nice sharpness across the frame (as does DA70 and DA21), but it's incredibly small and can be difficult to handle. YMMV, but everyone I've spoken to (outside of this forum) isn't really impressed with it."....

???????? mmmmm...sharp as a tack, super quick AF, superb build and performance, very light, unique focal length......how can you not like it????

Perhaps it doesn't look impressive enough.
07-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #53

Original Poster
i chose the da35 and was lucky to still order one with the old pricetag. cant wait to get it and put it on my camera.
thanks for all your help..

07-15-2009, 04:32 AM   #54
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I have the FA* 24mm and the FA 50mm. But I definitely need something in between. I'm definitely not going with the FA 35mm because I bought it and didn't like it. I ended up using the money to get a FA 77 limited.

FA 31mm limited
DA 35mm Macro
DA 40mm
FA 43mm.

I really don't know what to do. And I might end up getting two lenses. Right now I'm leaning FA 31 and then get the DA 40 for its convenience. Thoughts?
tough choice.
My combination is 24, 31, 40, 50.
But to be honest I mostly treat it as 2 couples:
24 + 40 and 31+ 50.
if you only want to get one lens to fill the void I'd say 35 is the best focal length. But from my personal experience I can't say a bad word about 24, 31, 50 combination.
40 and 43 are too close to 50 IMHO.
as I said togh choice...

good luck
BR
Peter
07-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jackbullet Quote

Nice comment . My post clearly states that I have used it and wasn't impressed with it. I also clearly said YMMV because the lens on this forum is well spoken of by many. Next time you want to make a smart ass comment - read what is posted before you begin typing.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Perhaps it doesn't look impressive enough.
No - it's too small for me to use - which I also clearly stated.

Do you folks not read what is written before you assume and spout off?

Unbelievable.

c[_]
07-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #56
TKH
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
As for me DA35 LTD is the worst lens I ever used.
Not very sharp, bokeh is like cotton wool.
Yes, its a f*cking peace of glass...

Sorry,
Rainer
07-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Nice shots with this great lens!
07-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #58

i've tried out the da35 (all 10min) but haven't had a chance to try the da40 (store didn't have it in stock). is the auto focus on the da40 that much faster? da35 seems to be a better buy because i don't currently have a dedicated macro. this feature is nice but it also carries a cost of 280$ Cdn more.

any thoughts?
07-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Wow... I am in the same crap you are as well. I even recently put up a "wanted normal prime" thread up and got two pms (technically 3 but one recently was sold) for either an FA 35mm or DA 35mm macro. Neither have replied yet so I still have time to think about which one to get...
07-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by teetoeb Quote
i've tried out the da35 (all 10min) but haven't had a chance to try the da40 (store didn't have it in stock). is the auto focus on the da40 that much faster? da35 seems to be a better buy because i don't currently have a dedicated macro. this feature is nice but it also carries a cost of 280$ Cdn more.

any thoughts?
When I made my post earlier on in this thread, I had the FA 35 and DA 40. I recently came upon a chance to pick up the DA 35, and bought it.

I just took a quick look back in the thread, and honestly, the posts from various people in the earlier part of this thread really do spell out what the deal is. In some instances, the DA 35 is really quite slow to focus, making several rotations before it settles. But in other situations, it will snap focus quite quickly, similar to the DA 40. Personally, I wouldn't let the focus speed dictate your decision. In the current marketplace (even across other brands), with the DA 40 and DA 35, you are really looking at lenses that are somewhat one-of-a-kind. And both are outstanding.

Having owned the DA 35 for a couple of weeks now, I must say that it is a really amazing lens, and great fun to use. You're walking around with your "normal" 35mm lens, that just happens to be a Pentax DA limited (build quality, etc.), you see a cool-looking flower, you stop, and you have the macro capabilities to get an amazing photo.

But still, the DA 40 rocks, and so does the FA 35. Just buy them all! Seriously though, in your case, without a dedicated macro, I think the DA 35 is the one for you to buy if you must choose just one.