Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #61
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FA 35

I'll always recommend an FA over a DA due to it's guaranteed backwards and forwards compatibility. It will also hold value better over the years. Most FA's have increased since their original retail price. When it's time to dump it or upgrade, you won't lose much cash.

07-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #62

Having both the FA 35 and the DA 40, the FA wins for my uses.

Wide aperture is always useful for me - I shoot a lot of portraits, and a lot of low light stuff. The DA 40 is an awkward focal length for my purposes, being not quite as intimate as a 50 but not quite wide enough for a normal.

Additionally, although the DA 40 certainly focuses fast, in most situations where focusing is troublesome, light isn't great either. The FA 35 is just about as fast at focusing, and that full stop of additional speed can frequently make the critical difference in getting a usable shot.

I really admire the construction and style of the 40, and I wanted to love the lens, but the FA 35 was wow-ing me from the moment I put it on the camera and it hasn't stopped since. Even though the FA 35's construction is ugly as sin compared to the 40, I can't argue with the sharpness and speed.

In the DA 40's favor, though, it is truly one-of-a-kind, and it won't set you back much to pick it up. Even though I haven't used mine as much as it deserves, I can't bring myself to sell it either. Go figure.

If low light performance isn't important to you and you can tolerate the focal length, go for the inexpensive and beautiful 40, but if you want a real workhorse lens the FA 35 has it where it counts.
09-15-2009, 11:38 PM   #63
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A while ago, after reading this thread and trying out the DA35 and FA35, I decided to take the FA35. Was briefly taunted by the FA31 but I resisted.. for now.

Anyway, the FA35 finally came in yesterday.

Impressions so far:
Jaw-dropping sharp even wide open, fast both optically and mechanically, I like the bokeh and the rendering so far... this lens at first sight seems like a pure winner and is already getting to me more than the FA50/1.4 (never thought that would be possible).

Excellent lens... can't wait to see more of what it can do.
09-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #64
Veteran Member

FA 35 is quite special indeed... I find it has just a bit more life with the K10D than the K100D

FA 31 is still something else though, The images from it just seems magical. The 35 is a great lens and a total bargain, but I still covet the 31

09-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Having both the FA 35 and the DA 40, the FA wins for my uses.

Wide aperture is always useful for me - I shoot a lot of portraits, and a lot of low light stuff. The DA 40 is an awkward focal length for my purposes, being not quite as intimate as a 50 but not quite wide enough for a normal.

Additionally, although the DA 40 certainly focuses fast, in most situations where focusing is troublesome, light isn't great either. The FA 35 is just about as fast at focusing, and that full stop of additional speed can frequently make the critical difference in getting a usable shot.

I really admire the construction and style of the 40, and I wanted to love the lens, but the FA 35 was wow-ing me from the moment I put it on the camera and it hasn't stopped since. Even though the FA 35's construction is ugly as sin compared to the 40, I can't argue with the sharpness and speed.

In the DA 40's favor, though, it is truly one-of-a-kind, and it won't set you back much to pick it up. Even though I haven't used mine as much as it deserves, I can't bring myself to sell it either. Go figure.

If low light performance isn't important to you and you can tolerate the focal length, go for the inexpensive and beautiful 40, but if you want a real workhorse lens the FA 35 has it where it counts.

Though I am a well-known FA35 public fan, I had to recently buy the DA40 because of its size (and some pure LBA issues)... and I very much share the same opnion as Eigengrau above: I want to use the DA 40 as much as possible, I love its size and rendering, it is a nice little piece of metal, BUT the FA 35 is such a great lens and better FL!! The only real issue with it, is its looks! What a damn ugly lens!!! ha ha ha ha!!

So now I have (2) FA 35 (a brand new extra lens, just in case $hit happens!) and a DA 40mm....

Geeez... LBA sucks!!
09-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Though I am a well-known FA35 public fan, I had to recently buy the DA40 because of its size (and some pure LBA issues)... and I very much share the same opnion as Eigengrau above: I want to use the DA 40 as much as possible, I love its size and rendering, it is a nice little piece of metal, BUT the FA 35 is such a great lens and better FL!! The only real issue with it, is its looks! What a damn ugly lens!!! ha ha ha ha!!

So now I have (2) FA 35 (a brand new extra lens, just in case $hit happens!) and a DA 40mm....

Geeez... LBA sucks!!
You need to update your signature then to add the DA 40. Hey, I have the DA 40, FA 35 and the DA 35, and they're all worth owning for one reason or another, and all awesome lenses.
09-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I won't call the FA 35 ugly... it's utilitarian

With the lens hood reversed I actually find the lens pretty cute...

09-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #68
Inactive Account

They say "three's a crowd" and that's definitely going to be the case shortly when a new DA 40mm joins the collection. I "know" that the FA 35mm is supposed to be the bees knees but I've never really warmed up to the lens with its utilitarian form factor and after seeing how much I've been using the DA 40mm that Jon graciously lent me over the past few weeks, I decided to pursue that path.

Looking at my lineup, I'll probably look at moving the FA 35 soon and possibly the FA* 24mm at a later date to better distribute my coverage...
09-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
You need to update your signature then to add the DA 40.
he he he... there is actually a few more lenses that need to go in the sig... Geeez... seriously, I should NOT be buying that many lenses!!

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
Hey, I have the DA 40, FA 35 and the DA 35, and they're all worth owning for one reason or another, and all awesome lenses.
It is always GREAT to hear there are people with less control than ourselves!!

If you had the 31mm as well, i'd say you have the worse case of LBA!!
09-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mirek Quote
A while ago, after reading this thread and trying out the DA35 and FA35, I decided to take the FA35. Was briefly taunted by the FA31 but I resisted.. for now.

Anyway, the FA35 finally came in yesterday.

Impressions so far:
Jaw-dropping sharp even wide open, fast both optically and mechanically, I like the bokeh and the rendering so far... this lens at first sight seems like a pure winner and is already getting to me more than the FA50/1.4 (never thought that would be possible).

Excellent lens... can't wait to see more of what it can do.
try it under lowlight !
09-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote

Geeez... LBA sucks!!
since when did you saw a pretty looking beast?

honestly, it's not the looks that counts, it's what is able to do what counts the most!
09-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #72
Veteran Member

I used to laugh at the idea of LBA, but, 8 months after buying my first Pentax DSLR, I know that it is a reality. At that time, I was certain that all I needed was the DA 18 - 250, but since then I have become a wreck. The FA 50/1.4, bought on a whim, taught me a big lesson about primes, and started the disorder that I now have.

I wrestled with the DA 40 vs DA 35 choice, and went for the DA 40 Ltd. and ordered it last week. It hasn't even arrived yet, and already I KNOW that I NEED the DA 12 -24, and Christmas is coming, and I owe myself a treat and.... Well, at least I didn't get sucked into buying derivates.
09-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
honestly, it's not the looks that counts, it's what is able to do what counts the most!
You mean the FA limiteds are not coveted because they look cool?
09-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
You mean the FA limiteds are not coveted because they look cool?
. what I meant was you don't need to look cool inorder to become coveted. as far as LTD lenses are concerned, they are puny compared to other lens brand. but that doesn't mean that just because they are puny, that they can't put up a fight.
09-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I won't call the FA 35 ugly... it's utilitarian

With the lens hood reversed I actually find the lens pretty cute...
Isn't saying the lens is cute with the hood reversed kind of like a "bag over the head" scenario?