Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2007, 04:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Macro Lenses

Hi, im new to Pentax (K10D) and dslr photography (sort of) and i was wondering if there are any high quality macro lenses for around £500, the sort that would be good for Insect photography. I have been trying to read up and search but im just getting confused.

Thanks for your help.

04-30-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't shoot many macros, but the 3 lenses that seem to get the most accolades are:
Pentax smc DFA 100mm f2.8 macro
Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro
Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro
04-30-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

first read this topic https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/5920-best-macr...telephoto.html
04-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by omegav6i Quote
Hi, im new to Pentax (K10D) and dslr photography (sort of) and i was wondering if there are any high quality macro lenses for around £500, the sort that would be good for Insect photography. I have been trying to read up and search but im just getting confused.

Thanks for your help.
The best that Pentax offers is the FA 100mm macro, but you could buy two of those for 500 pounds

There's also the FA* 200mm, but it's just about impossible to find...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a novice with macro, having just picked up a DFA 100 (rebate check was back in 5 weeks). I'm enjoying it, but others know these things in and out.

I will say NaClH20, a frequent poster, does some great stuff with the Tamron.

Jer
04-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for your help.
There are a number of good macros out there to chose from. No matter who you talk to you will get a recommendation and you will probably do well. Before plunking down your pounds check for reviews on macros.

If I could get my hands on the Pentax FA 200 macro for whatever amount I would get it. But I have had no luck in a year of trying. I bought the Sigma 180/ 3.5 APO, EX DG IF and believe the lens to be quite ouststanding. The Sigma 150 and 105 are also fine. You can check their review out at Photozone.de and use that as a starting point.

Virtually all macros made today are capable of taking truly outstanding pictures with the right person behind the camera. Good luck with your decision.

Stephen

Stephen C. Gushue's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
04-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
I don't shoot many macros, but the 3 lenses that seem to get the most accolades are:
Pentax smc DFA 100mm f2.8 macro
Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro
Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro
I'm sure these are all fine. But I don't think any of them are great lenses.

I think they all have too much purple fringing. The Pentax has way too much chromatic aberrations at wider apertures. If I were to rank them according to pleasant bokeh, it would be (1) Pentax, (2) Tamron, and (3) Sigma - although they're all (like sharpness) within a very narrow range.

When I first got the 100mm Pentax macro, I took some insect photos. I all of a sudden wished I had a longer lens, like Stephen's 180mm Sigma. (Check out his galleries - WOW.) But the longer you get, the higher shutter speeds you need, and the harder it gets to hand hold much. (You'll surely need a flash, even if you think you don't.)

Now I realize that I don't do too many insect shots and I'm leaning towards the 50mm end of the macro range. Maybe the Pentax 35mm macro will be the one.

Anyway, some others to consider are the Vivitar/Kiron/Lester A Dine 100-105mm macros and some of the older Tamron 90mm ones. I'm casually looking for an old Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro.

Until then I'm getting decent results from my Pentax DFA 100/2.8 and my K-mount converted Nikon 55/3.5 Micro.

05-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I think they all have too much purple fringing. The Pentax has way too much chromatic aberrations at wider apertures. If I were to rank them according to pleasant bokeh, it would be (1) Pentax, (2) Tamron, and (3) Sigma - although they're all (like sharpness) within a very narrow range.
Hi Sean. I did not find much purple fringeing with DFA 100 macro and neither on Joel's Tamron 90mm macro. In fact, I have examined most of my photos shot at f3.5 by DFA 100 macro and none of them have this fringeing problems.

Just clarifying whether this is a once off problem with occasional shots or ...
05-01-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hi Sean. I did not find much purple fringeing with DFA 100 macro and neither on Joel's Tamron 90mm macro. In fact, I have examined most of my photos shot at f3.5 by DFA 100 macro and none of them have this fringeing problems.

Just clarifying whether this is a once off problem with occasional shots or ...
It depends on the subject, certainly. I've seen it with multiple samples (and with the Tamron, even multiple brands) and I'll admit that it doesn't show up in the vast majority of typical shots.
05-01-2007, 05:39 AM   #10
Inactive Account

What about a diopter?

Please see at the shot taken with K100D+DA50-200+Canon 250D. Thanks!
Attached Images

05-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

i've got a 140usd vivitar 105mm f2.5 macro. it's not AF but it's rated as one of the best ever produced. i have NEVER! had any purple fringeing with this lens. not EVER.
AF is nothing but HYPE when doing macros unless you use a tripod. for me, off camera flash is much more important. here's a shot with the 105mm +63mm extention tubes + 2x teleconverter, & off camera flash. it's a magnification of 3-4:1. handheld
05-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #12

Original Poster
Hey thanks for all your help, i was looking at the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG HSM but i saw somthing about needing a tele-converter for the pentax, is it needed? and....what?

Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG HSM - Sigma macro lenses | Devon Camera Centre
05-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #13
Forum Member

The Pentax D-FA 50mm often gets overlooked in favour of the 100mm, but it's a fantastic lens. I've seen reviews that rate it significantly better than the 100, but all I can say is I'm not disappointed with mine. It's quite expensive though.
05-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[QUOTE=omegav6i;53290]Hey thanks for all your help, i was looking at the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG HSM but i saw somthing about needing a tele-converter for the pentax, is it needed? and....what?

Nothing is needed for the Sigma 180 to be mounted to your Pentax except having the lens itself

The lens is made in a Pentax KAF mount and it works. However, true macro work with bugs and stuff is simply most effective foucusing manually.

I have not seen any CA or fringing with this lens at all. SO far, a truly stellar performer.

Stephen
05-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hey thanks for all your help, i was looking at the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG HSM but i saw somthing about needing a tele-converter for the pentax, is it needed?
Lucky if you can find one. No longer in production line for some time with pentax mount.