Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Care to elaborate? And which of these things were both made and designed in Vietnam?

Made in Vietnam

What a beauty

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Contradictory. In theory, sending manufacturing/assembly to a country where the average wage is $40 USD/month enables Hoya to spend more effort (time) in manufacturing the product. As far as QA, I know a company that cuts diamonds in Vietnam & the product is top notch. The Vietnamese are extremely hard working and in general are very good at learning the skill sets required to assemble or manufacture product well. Also, companies that set up operations like this will Q&A with someone who has done this for years by relocating them from an existing operation. I believe the bad lenses in the case of the new 31mms are just a batch that got through.
Good point

08-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
which has absolutely nothing to do with the human workers of any specific nation, but the quality of the quality control process.
Who do you think decides whether a lens is good enough to be sold?
Like it or not, countries develop reputations from majorities. Sure you can say you have gotten a perfectly good product out of Vietnam but im sure that there's 3 other people that can say they didn't
03-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #63
Veteran Member

I wonder why Pentax uses "Assembled in" instead of "Made in" ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Few weeks ago I received my FA 31mm Limited and took a photo just to test it wide open.

The bellow images are 100% crops at f/1.8:

I just expected better IQ wide open from this lens, especially when everyone on the Pentax forums rave about it being sharp even wide open.

I returned the lens and requested for exchange with another one. The second lens I received today looks much better wide open. I can even see clearly the texture of the scratches on the box in the 100% crop below.

So I'm wondering is the lens assembled in Vietnam just a bad luck or is it a trend. Can someone else who bought the 31mm Limited assembled in Vietnam recently post the same photo of the box just to see if there is any difference.

Thanks in advance.
03-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Probably most or all of the parts for a specialty lens like this were made in the original facility in Japan. One way to avoid retail delays and backorders would be to make extra parts in Japan while that line was still working, meanwhile setting up production in Viet Nam. The most expensive lens parts to make are the glass elements, and they are frequently made in large batches, then held in stock until needed. I think as long as some parts were made in Japan, they'll use "Assembled".

My theory is that after the Hoya purchase, they did a complete inventory. They appear to have found enough parts to make a substantial supply of Pentax-A 50mm f1.2s, Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapters and maybe other lenses. It only takes a little internet awareness to find out how much these items sell for today, and I bet it looks a lot better on the balance sheet than keeping them in a parts inventory.

03-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holy Necromancer Batman!