Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Switch problem on Sigma 70-300mm APO

I bought this lens recently and was told the switch was for using 300mm as a psuedo macro lens. I moved this switch yesterday from Full to Normal and back to Full, but today when I tried to move it to back to Normal, the switch wouldn't budge. Is there a trick to moving it?

Sorry mods, wrong forum, could one of you move it to the lens forum?

06-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always had problems with the switch on mine. I never used it enough to remember the best method of getting it off macro. Usually involved pushing back and forth, twisting left and right, and swearing.

That lens finally died of aperture blade-failure - only noticed when being examined by potential buyer :-(
06-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Ari
Site Supporter

Had the same problem (on a non - APO). I would have to unmount the lens, bring it to the lowest focal length in the macro range, then it would switch easily.
06-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I found the answer. I simple contacted the gentleman that sold me the lens and he pointed me to the solution.

What one needs to do is, make sure the lens is set to at least infinity. Then the switch will move.

Here's the link he gave me to find my answer:

[Lens] Sigma 70 - 300 APO Macro. Sticking switch - dslreports.com

06-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

Just a quick adding - switch won't budge because your lens is focused at its macro distance range - you can sort of see on the barrel, markings 1:10.... 1:2. Whenever you see those markings, it means your lens is focused closer than it *can* focus normally. So, it's totally normal that you cannot bulge the switch - it's just not supposed to bulge because your lens is not focussed in "normal" range, but closer. After all, focus limiter is added there for a reason. Also, you don't have to focus to infinity to move the switch - you just have to make sure the lens is focused within its "normal", not macro, range. So just focus on, say, something that's more than 2 meters away, or just switch to manual focus and turn the ring yourself.
06-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I am not sure how I managed to move it then. I focused on Infinity, moved the zoom to 300mm and it let me move the switch. Btw, my cameras are always set on M/MF.

And maybe I didn't have to do it this way, but since you came in after I saw the answer on that other site, that's what I did.
06-26-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Mine did that, I undid the two little screws and sorted the little sliding bit that had come adrift

Pete
06-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Mine did that, I undid the two little screws and sorted the little sliding bit that had come adrift

Pete
I thought about removing the little screws, but I was afraid of what would happen if I did.

06-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I thought about removing the little screws, but I was afraid of what would happen if I did.
Don't worry , there is just a little sliding contact thing, nothing springs out
Pete
06-26-2009, 02:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, that's exactly why I didn't remove them. Afraid I'd have some very small spring jump out and I'd lose it.