Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Filters

I have a K-10 with the kit lens 18-55 and a Pentax 55-300 lens. The 18-55 takes a 52 mm filter and the 55-300 takes a 58 mm filter.

Hoya has a filter I'm interested in that is a UV-CPL combo. I'm also considering a 6 star filter from Hoya. What I'd like to do is use these two filters for both lenses and use a step down ring to go from the 58mm to the 52mm to save money and reduce the gear I need to carry.

I'm sure there are those on this forum who can give me some good advice on the way I should proceed.

Thanks for your help.

06-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

Probably not an advice but tip - if you want those "stars" on lights, for example, you just need to stop down your lens - any light will appear as a star then. The more you close your lens, the "bigger" the star. The number of "legs" a star has depends on number of aperture blades your lens got.
06-25-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have step-down rings for my expensive CPL filters to fit my smaller lens that dont often need CPL but I wanted to be able to fit one if the need came up. Its quite acceptable but make sure it still fits inside the hood if you want to use the hood. If not, you can get a cheap ($6) screw-in rubber collapsible hood to screw into the 58mm filter for when its on the 52mm lens.
06-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

Also, I'd say you'll probably only use CPL on the wide lens - the long one is slow already and I don't think there's much of a point...

06-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Also, I'd say you'll probably only use CPL on the wide lens - the long one is slow already and I don't think there's much of a point...
Well, you can use the CPL to slow things down like having another ND filter but typically the CPL is to cut the glare of bright sky, water, leaves, etc. I am strictly an outdoor, daytime shooter and I agree, it adds more than a stop to the speed but if you need it, you need it. Ever looked at the clouds with/without a CPL on a bright day? One has white and one has bluish tinge. The leaves drop glare and are more colorful and warmer. Below shot with my 55-300mm at 55mm f/5.6. No PP.

First is no CPL, second is with CPL.
Name:  skywithout.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  7.1 KB Name:  skywith.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  7.4 KB

Last edited by imtheguy; 06-26-2009 at 12:06 AM.
06-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Thread moved from General Photography to Lens forum.