Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
anyone pre-order the new wr kit lenses?

I couldn't resist... $200 for a wr 18-55 is just too much of a bargain so I'm in line at Amazon. I've only heard a couple vague reports of this lens being of better build quality and having a bit better image quality than my first gen 18-55, but weather sealing is just great for peace of mind when the weather gets sketchy.

I know having the 50-135 was great to go fearlessly into the snow this winter, so having something wide will be a nice addition. I'm a little torn as to whether I want to get the 50-200 wr for $250 since I already have the 50-135.

It's amazing to me with used k10d's going for around 300 that a person could get a very good wr setup for around $500!

06-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm in the opposite situation, I have the weather-sealed 16-50, but would like a weather-sealed telephoto as well. Might opt for the 50-200 wr while I save up for either the 50-135 or 60-250. I would love to see the 55-300 in a wr design, though! Or some more primes...
06-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
I would love to see the 55-300 in a wr design
I´m with you there, much more flexibility than the 55-200mm.
06-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
personally, after this wide wr, I think I'd like to have a wr macro. I really like the look of rain in close-ups!

06-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My plan: stop being afraid to use my existing 18-55 and 50-200 in the rain if I feel like it. If/when they fail, then replace them with WR versions. No, I'm just not concerned about so much water coming in that it ruins my camera - I don't shoot in that kind of rain!
06-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
personally, after this wide wr, I think I'd like to have a wr macro. I really like the look of rain in close-ups!
You know you can fake it with a spray bottle?
06-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
You know you can fake it with a spray bottle?
Yeah, I know of many people who do this, but my I don't really have a garden so when I take pictures, it's usually at someone else's house. I'd feel a bit uncomfortable walking around w/ a spray bottle I tend to like to grab my picture and go...

06-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
My plan: stop being afraid to use my existing 18-55 and 50-200 in the rain if I feel like it. If/when they fail, then replace them with WR versions. No, I'm just not concerned about so much water coming in that it ruins my camera - I don't shoot in that kind of rain!
I am with you Marc. If I buy a K7 or if my current 18-55 quits, I will get the WR version. If appearance is correct, it is a significant quality upgrade from the current 18-55.

Steve
06-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #9

I already got mine- Just arrived today!

I'm in western Canada and I ordered the 50-200 WR from Vistek on line on Friday and got it today (Tuesday). I'm pretty impressed by that as I wasn't even sure that they would have stock yet. I'll post a review after I've had a chance to spend more time with it, and I never tried the previous non-WR version to compare to, but my first impressions are:
1. Nice feel, not heavy but not really cheap or flimsy feeling either. Fairly tight but smooth zoom ring.
2. Has a 49mm thread with a hood that has a little panel that comes out (like a battery compartment lid) to be able to turn a circular polarizer or such.
3. Barrel extends on zoom and focus but front element does not rotate.
4. Did not come with any kind of case or bag (no biggie)
5. Haven't had a chance to assess IQ but a few quick shots revealed mild CA/PF on high contrast edges but only noticeable on 100%+ zoom

For me, this lens was a no-brainer. I have the K10D with only an UWA zoom (Sigma 10-20) and a few primes- 28, 35, and 50mm- and even though I don't often shoot in inclement environments, the focal range, lightweight aspect, and price (CA$329) were almost perfect for me (only maybe something like a lightweight WR 70-300 might be better). The weather sealing is just the icing on the cake. Way to go Pentax! Now if I'm shooting outdoors and it starts to rain I don't have to get all paranoid.
07-01-2009, 02:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by F8&Bthere Quote
I'm in western Canada and I ordered the 50-200 WR from Vistek on line on Friday and got it today (Tuesday). I'm pretty impressed by that as I wasn't even sure that they would have stock yet. I'll post a review after I've had a chance to spend more time with it, and I never tried the previous non-WR version to compare to, but my first impressions are:
1. Nice feel, not heavy but not really cheap or flimsy feeling either. Fairly tight but smooth zoom ring.
2. Has a 49mm thread with a hood that has a little panel that comes out (like a battery compartment lid) to be able to turn a circular polarizer or such.
3. Barrel extends on zoom and focus but front element does not rotate.
4. Did not come with any kind of case or bag (no biggie)
5. Haven't had a chance to assess IQ but a few quick shots revealed mild CA/PF on high contrast edges but only noticeable on 100%+ zoom

For me, this lens was a no-brainer. I have the K10D with only an UWA zoom (Sigma 10-20) and a few primes- 28, 35, and 50mm- and even though I don't often shoot in inclement environments, the focal range, lightweight aspect, and price (CA$329) were almost perfect for me (only maybe something like a lightweight WR 70-300 might be better). The weather sealing is just the icing on the cake. Way to go Pentax! Now if I'm shooting outdoors and it starts to rain I don't have to get all paranoid.
Looking forward to a review with some sample photos
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #11

About 90 shots during Canada Day festivities today and so far nothing stellar with this lens yet nothing to complain about either. It's about right for my expectations, good value. Only new observations to add to my last post are that it like other screwdriver lenses with long focal ranges is quite noisy and not all that fast in focusing. Here's a shot that shows it off a bit- I only boosted exposure, saturation, contrast and sharpness mildly in post processing, shot with K10D. You may wonder what an old turkey has to do with Canada Day, but there was a petting zoo at the park for the kids.
Attached Images