Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #1

Stupidly basic question about a lens.

Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can help me out here. I was going to buy a second hand lens this morning, but I noticed that when I tweaked the lever thingie on the back of the lens (the bit that would normally be inside the camera when mounted) there was no discernable difference to anything inside the lens. I am probably mistaken, but I would have assumed when I moved that lever that I would see the aperture close and then open again when released - is that right?
It's an old Tamron with a Canon adaptall2 mount on the back if that makes any difference.

can't believe I'm asking something so basic

Cheers!

06-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At what setting was the aperture ring, if at the widest value then that lever is going to do bugger all.
06-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never play with lever thingies. Have you tried turning the actual aperture ring?
06-26-2009, 06:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
I did try turning the aperture ring and I didn't see anything happen inside, but I wasn't sure what I was expecting to see to be honest, whether I would need to be fiddling with the lever whilst turning the ring to see a result or whether adaptall2 mounts work 'differently' in some way. I don't know. It's a Tamron 90mm SP2 f/2.5 52B and it's only £15 so perhaps I should take a punt on it and see how it goes?

06-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
At what setting was the aperture ring, if at the widest value then that lever is going to do bugger all.
I was under the impression that it was opposite, that the lever closed the aperture.

If you're allowed to handle it, can you just put it on your camera to see if it works okay?
06-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
That's a good idea, but I would need to swot up on adaptall mounts first. I do have an old Tamron zoom with an adaptall2 mount, so I would have to work out how to get that off there and onto the new one before I could test it - I really am clueless about this older kit! lol
06-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
I'm glad I took a punt on that lens, looks like it was the Canon adaptall mount that was shafted, I put my Pentax one from my zoom lens on and it appears to work perfectly! Man these images are beautiful!
Now I just need to work out how to do the whole stopping down thing on a manual lens...

06-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a great lens at a great price - enjoy, and share pics!
06-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, that's a steal. Enjoy the lens!