Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cannot resist the Helios temptation!

Picked up a mint condition Helios 44M-4 at a local camera shop early this week. It is sharp even at wide open. Have nice bokeh and overall rendering. I am impressed and quite enjoying this lens. Oh, I also did the modification on the aperture pin for stop down metering. Very easy and took less than 5 minutes. Hey, I think Helios should have its own club.

Here are some shots I took the other day, all at f2 & slightly sharpened and contrast.

Attachment 37700

Attachment 37701

Attachment 37702

Attachment 37703

Attachment 37704

Last edited by IS050; 06-21-2010 at 09:30 PM.
06-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Igilligan

Ain't She Sweet
06-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lucky you!

I have been doing some low-key shopping for a Helios, but had not had any luck locally. May I ask where you found yours?

Steve
06-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Ain't She Sweet
Yes, very nice lens indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Lucky you!

I have been doing some low-key shopping for a Helios, but had not had any luck locally. May I ask where you found yours?

Steve
@ Steve, Let me give you a hint, this place is in your own back yard and a fine establishment own by Mike Knight!

06-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote

@ Steve, Let me give you a hint, this place is in your own back yard and a fine establishment own by Mike Knight!
I was in Knight's on my lunch break and actually asked Mike about a Helios. He said that he thought he sold one recently on eBay, but said that he knew little about the lens. Too bad I did not happen in there a few days earlier!

As it is, the trip to Knight's was a fruitful one. They had a rather rough looking Pentax everyready case that fit my newly acquired KX. Mike let me have it for $5. Once I got home, I applied a little Kiwi black shoe polish and it literally looks good as new. It was such a good deal that I genuinely regret having Eric do the CLA and repair on the KX rather than letting Mike do it. Mike would have done a good job, but it needed parts and I knew Eric was the man.

Steve
06-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry I beat you to it..
Sound's like Mike is a nice guy and can do good repair work, I should play him a visit someday and see what other treasure I can find there.

David
06-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Sorry I beat you to it..
Sound's like Mike is a nice guy and can do good repair work, I should play him a visit someday and see what other treasure I can find there.

David
Well, I can tell you this much...he has a mint Pentax H3 with sit-on-top meter and fitted leather case on the shelf...

Forgot to ask how much money...

Steve
06-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Ain't She Sweet
I should have put my schnaportrait from yesterday. Shot with my helios 44m