Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
Da 55 is much sharper all the way to F4, on F5.6 is it close, and F8 might have an advantage to the FA, mainly because the DA is starting to lose it there. F1.7 make almost no difference for the FA but it is a huge improvement for the DA.

Again this is pixel peeping on a 15Mp camera. It does not make FA a bad lens ( I still like it a lot), it just shows that the DA is an exceptional lens.
ok just to make things clear. I was referring to the FA 50 1.7 and not the FA 50 1.4 at 1.7. there are 3 FA 50s and the 1.7 is considered the sharpest compared to the FA 50 1.4 and they seem to equalize the same around f4 or f5.6. I hope that you made a test on it as well.

06-27-2009, 05:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
FA50 is very soft on the larger apertures. It actually needs F5.6 or F8 to get very sharp. This even causes problems for the AF system, and it is known to be one of the slowest focusing lenses.
You don`t know what you're talking about there. I have that lens and it focuses REALLY fast. Faster than the 77 1.8 for that matter. Also it's pretty sharp at 2.8, no need to stop down THAT much.
06-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
ok just to make things clear. I was referring to the FA 50 1.7 and not the FA 50 1.4 at 1.7. there are 3 FA 50s and the 1.7 is considered the sharpest compared to the FA 50 1.4 and they seem to equalize the same around f4 or f5.6. I hope that you made a test on it as well.
Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood. I know of that lense of course, but unfortunately I do not have it so can't test it in the same set-up.

I actually start to doubt that any old lens can match the resolution challange of 15Mp on APS-C. I did compare the DA55 with the FA*85 (which I thought was my absolute sharpest lens at F4), on sharpness the DA55 (at 15MP resolution) was significantly sharper. My comparaison is at

http://www.fotosidan.se/forum/showthread.php?t=109271

, in swedish but DA first FA second in every picture pair.

I haven't done the tests yet, but my impression is that the DA*200 and probably also the DA*300 will also win over FA*85 on sharpness (15 Mp).

This is of course only relevant if you actually use all 15Mp, which I seldom do, but still.

Edit: Of course I use all 15 Mp, but I don't print in sizes or have screens big enough to really need them most of the time.

Last edited by quarc; 06-27-2009 at 02:05 PM.
06-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have FA50 but I do have F50/1.7 and DA40.
They are two VERY different lenses and you should not directly compare them. For many 50 is too tight on APS-C (as it's my case). I use my especialy for portraits, sometimes for street shots. Shots' at shallow f stops are not to everybody's taste, so don't feel bad just because you don't like it.
Many people rave about some lenses, and many dislike the same lenses.
If it's not for you it's not for you, don't worry about it and enjoy using the lenses that suits your style...

BR
Peter

06-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
So for Christmas I got the FA 50mm f1.4 and for some reason, I don't have good results with it. It is hard for me to get used to the very shallow DOF. I have the 40mm f2.8 and I love that lens... it is so sharp and I have never had any issues with it. If I focus on a subject's nose with the 50 at F2 the eyes are blurry. My husband uses the 50 and has no problems... what am i doing wrong? I want to love this lens because it is so fast and I wanted the nice bokeh but seriously.. I want sharp pictures too sometime...

help!!
I don't think I've used my FA 50/1.4 since I got a DA 40 about three years ago. Some people delight in the FA 50/1.4, but my copy focuses slowly and with irratic accuracy and it's so soft wide open, I have to stop it down to get a usable photo (which obviates the purpose of such a lens). Perhaps I have a poor copy, but I share your feelings about this lens.

Jer
06-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Is that a preview shot of the 2010 Edsel?
06-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #22
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
You don`t know what you're talking about there. I have that lens and it focuses REALLY fast. Faster than the 77 1.8 for that matter. Also it's pretty sharp at 2.8, no need to stop down THAT much.
I agree. Dpreview tested the FA50 and found that at 2.8 it's sharper than the DA16-45/4 at any aperture.

Just don't use it wide open unless you absolutely have to.