Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Oops...another one bites the dust.

This is what happens to your plastic-mount Sigma 28-80 when you trip as you're slinging your camera bag over your neck/shoulder and it hits the wood floor from about 5 feet: (click it)

M50 2.0 @ f/11, 1/180s, ISO200. No PP either...sharp little lens.

Anyone know how hard it would be to swap the mount for a good one? I hate to get rid of the lens just because the mount broke. As an added bonus, I could get a metal mount instead...

Last edited by Volvo244T; 06-27-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Changed pic to a clickable thumbnail.
06-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cullen, if you can find a cheap (ugly, for parts, etc) lens, I'd get it and try it. The worst case scenario is that it's very difficult to do and you are out the price of the ultra cheap lens and what ever time you spent. If on the other hand it works, then you've got your lens back. Be careful and disassemble the broken lens first, take notes if you need to. Above all remember that it is always easier to take something apart then it is to put it back together again

NaCl(and be sure there are no parts "left over" after the repair is completed )H2O
06-27-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Base on a number of lenses I have repaired modified previously, you will be VERY lucky to find a lens with a mount you can exchange without modification (unless you get hold of the same model but then why bother with the repair?). Although the modifications tend not to be too compklicated they need to be prety accurate and a lathe and associated precision tools are generally required. Is the damage minor enough that you could get away with supergluing the broken bit back on?
06-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It would probably be wiser to get the kit 18-55... chances are - it will outperform you old Sigma and these are dirty cheap nowadays.... especially with the arrival of the w/sealed version...

06-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
It would probably be wiser to get the kit 18-55... chances are - it will outperform you old Sigma and these are dirty cheap nowadays.... especially with the arrival of the w/sealed version...
Problem with just getting the kit lens again (even though I do admittedly miss 18mm at times) is that I'll have a gap from 55-70. I also don't like the vignetting wide open that the kit lens has...I'll just get another Sigma most likely until I can afford get a DA or Sigma 17-70.

I've located a couple Sigma 28-80s on Ebay with a metal mount, so I'm going to snap one of 'em up.
06-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've seen several of these plastic mounts break in my time at a camera store. If you can find another of the same model, it should be fairly easy to swap out (I took one of the broken ones apart for fun).

that being said, I'd get a 18-55. the difference between 55 and 80 isn't huge, but between 18 and 28 is. the 18-55 is a great lens- I have both a sigma 28-80 w/ fake macro and the DA 18-55, and the only time I use the 28-80 is if I need it's macro mode. Course, I prefer wider lenses in general, so YMMV.
06-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone should point out that the plastic mount on the lens probably saved your camera body.

I have a Sigma 28-80 that I picked up for $20 brand new and I love it. Don't get me wrong, for the money the 18-55 is a great lens, but so is the Sigma. It's sharp, it's contrasty, and the bokeh isn't too bad either. Color, contrast, and sharpness wise it is very similar to the 18-55. I've used it for a couple of portrait sessions and the only bad side of it is that the DOF is too long on the narrow end.

Yes sir, the Sigma 28-80 is worth every penny!
07-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Volvo244T Quote
Anyone know how hard it would be to swap the mount for a good one? I hate to get rid of the lens just because the mount broke. As an added bonus, I could get a metal mount instead...
At one point I had both a Sigma and Quantaray 100-300mm zoom. The Quantaray had a metal mount and the Sigma was plastic. Swapping was not possible because the Sigma had three screws and the Quantaray had 4.

07-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Volvo244T Quote
You could always send the lens in to Sigma and get it fixed (correctly) - and they do free estimates last I checked with them.