Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
When is a Pentax bayonet not a Pentax bayonet

Recently i took a plunge on nice Tokina - sight unseen via THAT auction site- the ad said "Pentax bayonet " etc and it sold for about USD6- nice, i thought.

Cheap enough.

But the darn thing wants to fit but just wont turn and engage.
Any thoughts?
Will list it for sale once i know what the "fit " is

It appears to be the same diameter as my other bayonet lenses and fits down into the three slots but just wont twist and lock into place-

Any info will be greatly received

06-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #2

Might be a Nikon mount.

They have almost the same bayonet size as pentax. Some lenses will actually mount, others will not.

Actually, now that I think about it, I bought a Vivitar zoom recently that was on a Pentax P30n film camera, but I couldn't get to mount on either of my digitals.

Turns out the protruding metal that protects the aperture lever was a lot longer than it needed to be. I took that little ring off with 3 small screws and it fit (and worked) fine. I'll dremel some of the metal off later for completeness.

Check the aperture lever protector length.
06-27-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Had the same problem with a Vivitar from pawn shop, check the flanfes to see if it has v
been dropped and one is slightly bent in. Only takes a fraction of a mm. to cause it to bind. jim
06-27-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I made surgery to my Vivitar series 1 when I first got it. I suspect your lens has the flange problem, as stated above. Compare the area protecting the aperture lever on a working lens with the new one and see if it's different. I took mine out, with the three scews, then dremeled off the excessive metal, painted it black, and mounted it back. Works like a charm

06-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I had an old sigma "For Pentax-K" that would fit on a K1000, but not a DSLR. Had to trim off the phlange with a tin snips, then it worked fine.
06-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks ALL
- about to wander down to shed and perform surgery- there is a metal protector adjacent to the aperture lever that is about to go!

A trap for a young player.
06-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Had to do that with my Vivitar S1 70-210mm too. Just took the Dremel to it and covered the exposed metal with a magic marker to reduce any reflections/flare. Just make sure you remove the ring from the lens before you start cutting .