Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Please watch up for your lenses

In a market like Pentax lenses where everything is rare.
There is a good chance that one day your lens will be very much wanted by someone else (me?)
Its so annoying to finally find the lens that you want for sale knowing that the previous owner did not keep the lens in the best conditions

please be kind to the future owners of your lens

06-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent point, redpigeons. I know some people hate the notion of any extra piece of glass between the lens and the subject, but I'd ask those people if they were to have the chance to buy a used lens would they prefer that the lens was used by the previous owner with or without a filter.
06-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
In a market like Pentax lenses where everything is rare.
There is a good chance that one day your lens will be very much wanted by someone else (me?)
Its so annoying to finally find the lens that you want for sale knowing that the previous owner did not keep the lens in the best conditions

please be kind to the future owners of your lens
True, but I didn't buy into system to pass my lenses on... I'm keeping them until the bitter end or Iuntil I'll go blind...

BR
06-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great lenses deserve great filters, so don't cheap around. I like the German brands.

I always using a yellow-green filter for black-and-white and a polarizer for color,
which allows me to neatly sidestep the UV/Skylight filter for protection issue.

Chris

06-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #20
Pentaxian

There is no question that in some conditions, you'll probably be better off with a coated filter. But as for an uncoated filter affecting your typical photographs with your lenses, it's relatively easy (and inexpensive enough with digital) to experiment and decide for yourself.

Paul
07-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
Here is a UV filter test of a good selection of what is available - top, bottom and middle range - in UV filters. Bottom line is all filters have some effect on IQ. How much is acceptable is up to you to decide.
Wow. That's some fairly definitive results. Thanks for the link.
07-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a hood and somehow my UV filter has a scratch on it. Glad it wasn't the glass that counts.

07-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Wow. That's some fairly definitive results. Thanks for the link.
Yes, I like their thoroughness in showing how each filter performs under less than ideal conditions. Plus I’m a sucker for filter curves – comes from years of doing UV & IR measurements. I miss having access to a decent spectrophotometer. Maybe in next year's budget...
08-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

UV Filters

Hi Pentaxians. I am surprised that the Pentax SMC Filters have been ignored in this thread.
I have a couple of SMC (Super Multi Coated) Pentax filters - UV, Skylight, Morning-Evening, Cloudy, and they are superb.
In fact I did some tests with the SMC Filters high up in the mountains of Darjeeling India, and I found improvements in the color balance with the filter on than off.
Did not see much degradation in sharpness either. Ofcourse shooting into the sun did cause extra flare.
Nanhi
08-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Several years ago I happened to stop in one of the local gear supply shops just after our big city newspaper had dumped all of their old Nikon film gear there including their manual focus prime lenses. Everything was battered, scratched and worn to the metal and the lenses had numerous scratches on the front elements. The effects of this damage were never readily apparent in the photos in the newspaper each day so a person can only wonder about the overall effect of damaged lens elements.

Sure, filters block light from the film/sensor and can add detrimental flare but I wonder if all of this really matters that much to the final image. Maybe the best benefit from using a filter would come when you drop the lens and the filter threads aren't damaged.
08-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
Sure, filters block light from the film/sensor and can add detrimental flare but I wonder if all of this really matters that much to the final image.
It does matter. Just had a wedding shoot and used a lens, which I use not very often. I got heavy flaring in all the bride/groom shots, caused by a flash gun to the side of the couple - until I realized, I had forgotten to remove the UV filter on that particular lens (a Kenko/Hoya Pro1 Digital filter with very good coatings). After I removed the filter, the flaring was gone. All the images with the flaring are unusable. That could have been a disaster!

Ben
08-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Using B+W MRC UV filters on most of my glass, with few exceptions that happened before i did a research on filters.

Never scratched or broke one but there had been a *LOT* of greasy fingertips on them
08-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #28
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Extensive review of UV filter

Here is a comprehensive FAQ and review on UV filters and how and by how much they degrade IQ, mainly dependent on the level of multicoating:

Canon Digital Photography Forums - View Single Post - Protective Filter FAQ
08-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Digital provides a new challenge for filters, the sensor surface is very reflective and reflects light back on the inner surface of a filter which in turn can be reflected back to the sensor.

A simple test is to take a shot of a bright object against a darker surface, the moon against the dark sky for instance. Set the object (moon) off center in the frame and take the shot (or use live view). Unless the filter is very good you will get a double (or more) image. This will be happening to some degree in all your shots.