Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What next?

Currently I have the kit lens, 18-55, FA 35mm f2 and FA 50mm f1.4 for my K10D. The 50mm was a pre-birthday present or so I thought!

Hubby has other ideas and he said that he would get me another lens (within reasonable limit of course!) for my birthday.

So what should I get? I'm thinking of a zoom lens now since I already have 2 primes. Budget is no more than AUD600.00 . I was thinking Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. It's about AUD589.00

Give me some suggestions, please!

04-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If Hubby has unlimited wealth I think you should ask him for the widest wide angle lens made or at least 10mm. They are hard to come by for digital cameras.
Zooms and teles are a dime a dozen.

Mickey
04-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sigma EX DC 10-20mm

=P
05-01-2007, 01:37 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
If Hubby has unlimited wealth I think you should ask him for the widest wide angle lens made or at least 10mm. They are hard to come by for digital cameras.
Zooms and teles are a dime a dozen.

Mickey
I wish!

Obviously I have no experience with wide angle apart from the kit lens at 18mm which I hardly ever use. So I am not sure if I will go the wide angle route though. Anyway, food for thought.

05-01-2007, 03:02 AM   #5
baw

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSwans Quote
Obviously I have no experience with wide angle apart from the kit lens at 18mm which I hardly ever use. So I am not sure if I will go the wide angle route though. Anyway, food for thought.
I started with the kitlens and some old primes. First bought the Sigma 70-300, so I had the range from my Nikon 5700 back.
Next bought Pentax 12-24mm. Great lens imo. Presently my most used lens.

Have a look at this album.
I only took the 12-24, forcing myself to think wideangle. Love it.

Last edited by baw; 05-01-2007 at 03:51 AM.
05-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX?
05-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sigma 10-22, 17-70 and 70-200 are all good choices.
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #8

I am totally satisfied with my Sigma 17-70 f2.8 DC

Would highly recommend it. Great for both Macro and Image Quality in my opinion.

05-03-2007, 04:56 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies. Appreciate it.

I did consider the Sigma 17-70 but then like the Tamron 28-75, it already covers the range that I have.

So I told hubby that he can get either the Pentax 50-200mm or the Samsung equivalent, Tamron 90mm macro or Pentax 100mm macro.

He couldn't get it on time for my birthday so hopefully I'd get it for Mother's Day!
05-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #10

Tell the Hubby that a pre-birthday present is great, but you get to choose which birthday to apply it towards. Go find the Guinness book of records and get the age of the oldest living person. That becomes your age from which you work back from. You should have a great collection and not sacrifice your next real birthday.

Just a suggestion.

Jeff
05-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you all for your replies. Appreciate it.

I did consider the Sigma 17-70 but then like the Tamron 28-75, it already covers the range that I have.

So I told hubby that he can get either the Pentax 50-200mm or the Samsung equivalent, Tamron 90mm macro or Pentax 100mm macro.

He couldn't get it on time for my birthday so hopefully I'd get it for Mother's Day!
I can highly recommend the Tamron 90mm macro. It's a great macro, but also triples up as an excellent short tele and an decent head shot portrait. The nice thing about the portrait part is you don't have to be in someone's face to get the shot. I use mine a LOT.
Almost everybody but me raves about the 50-200. Don't get me wrong, it's a good enough lens, but I have owned two different copies of it and both had problems. The first copy had bad front focus problems, and was decidedly unsharp at 150mm and longer. The second copy doesn't focus out to infinity at 200mm and therefore anything further away than about 300 meters or so is a bit soft. But otherwise it's a good lens, so I've kept it. (the first got returned) It's pluses are that it's light and small, and it's relatively inexpensive, and of couse if you get a good copy you'll be amongst the ravers also.
If you can get hubby to spring for 2 for the price of one, I go with the 50-200 and also get a Zenitar 16mm fisheye. I love mine! It's quite inexpensive, well made and fun! fun! fun! I've used mine much more than I though I would. Mine cost $125 USD plus shipping and customs, IIRC total cost was under $150 usd.

NaCl(the "Z" and the 50-200 should come in under your hubby's budget)H2O
05-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Tell the Hubby that a pre-birthday present is great, but you get to choose which birthday to apply it towards. Go find the Guinness book of records and get the age of the oldest living person. That becomes your age from which you work back from. You should have a great collection and not sacrifice your next real birthday.

Just a suggestion.

Jeff
What a fabulous idea! Anyway, I told him that from now on, any presents (birthday, christmas etc...) for me should be camera or any PP software related!

I found a used Tamron 90mm macro at Ted's camera store near my office. The asking price is more than AUD400.00 I think. Don't know what the condition is like. Hmmm...very tempting.
05-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What a fabulous idea! Anyway, I told him that from now on, any presents (birthday, christmas etc...) for me should be camera or any PP software related!

I found a used Tamron 90mm macro at Ted's camera store near my office. The asking price is more than AUD400.00 I think. Don't know what the condition is like. Hmmm...very tempting.
hi, I'd grab the tamron and while your at teds ask them if they have any samsung 50-200's (same as the pentax 50-200). just after christmas they were doing them for around $190 (easily best $190 i've spent on camera gear) then you get 2 lenses for his $600. (they are also doing the sigma 14mm for $399 at the moment)

rgds
Phil