Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 136
Your Current wish list ie "to buy"

Ok thoughts on mine and what are yours - try to keep it realistic, as in something you'd actually buy so everyone doesn't put down a 5000mm 1.8


Just starting out, awaiting the K7's release...

So far my lens list I'll check off as I acquire....

1. DA* 16-50mm 2.8
2. DA* 50-135mm 2.8
3. 77mm Limited 1.8
4. Asahi SMC 50mm 1.4
5. Kiron 100mm Macro 2.8

After that, some possibilities I'm pondering are...

1. Carl Zeiss Flektagon 20mm 2.8 for it's 5 inch focus distance, though I wish there was a decent/affordable 20-24mm 1.8 around - I'm boycotting Sigma (gee the one lens they actually get right is not available in a Pentax Mount LOL)

2. I'd also like to get a fast 2.8 10-12mm range wide angle, or something just a few mm wider than the 16-50mm for landscapes, architecture etc. I know there's the Pentax 14mm, but doubt a mere 2mm wider than the 16-50 is worth 650$...again, boycotting Sigma in this search.

3. I may also look into the Asahi 85mm 1.8 (or 1.9) (though it's confusing which version is best, most seem to like the auto).

4. I'd really like and want to gun for the 75mm Biotar 1.8, looks like it has great contrast and actually having a lens known for being great at 1.5

5. I may gamble on the 85mm Jupiters F2. Mixed reviews and doesn't seem like good quality control, but their only 40 bucks often on ebay. I like the saturated, but even and not overdone, color, and looks like butter bokeh is attainable.


Last edited by Psynema; 06-29-2009 at 10:18 AM.
06-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
Good luck with that

welcome to the painful world of LBA
06-29-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 136
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
Good luck with that

welcome to the painful world of LBA
LBA? Latin Banker's Association

Actually do videography for a living, and actually booked a few photo jobs this week for weddings in the fall/winter, so if all goes well I should have 1-5 by the end of the year checked off.
06-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by Psynema Quote
LBA? Latin Banker's Association

Actually do videography for a living, and actually booked a few photo jobs this week for weddings in the fall/winter, so if all goes well I should have 1-5 by the end of the year checked off.
Lens Buying Addiction...

Steve

BTW...Good luck on finding a good Flektogon 20/2.8 at an approachable price. I gave up a few years ago.

06-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 258
I ordered the 16-50 today.

Next: DA*300, Voigtländer 20mm, who nows...
06-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member
farfisa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,274
QuoteOriginally posted by Psynema Quote
Ok thoughts on mine and what are yours - try to keep it realistic, as in something you'd actually buy so everyone doesn't put down a 5000mm 1.8


Just starting out, awaiting the K7's release...

So far my lens list I'll check off as I acquire....

1. DA* 16-50mm 2.8
2. DA* 50-135mm 2.8
3. 77mm Limited 1.8
4. Asahi SMC 50mm 1.4
5. Kiron 100mm Macro 2.8

After that, some possibilities I'm pondering are...

1. Carl Zeiss Flektagon 20mm 2.8 for it's 5 inch focus distance, though I wish there was a decent/affordable 20-24mm 1.8 around - I'm boycotting Sigma (gee the one lens they actually get right is not available in a Pentax Mount LOL)

2. I'd also like to get a fast 2.8 10-12mm range wide angle, or something just a few mm wider than the 16-50mm for landscapes, architecture etc. I know there's the Pentax 14mm, but doubt a mere 2mm wider than the 16-50 is worth 650$...again, boycotting Sigma in this search.

3. I may also look into the Asahi 85mm 1.5 (though it's confusing which version is best, most seem to like the auto).

4. I'd really like and want to gun for the 75mm Biotar 1.8, looks like it has great contrast and actually having a lens known for being great at 1.8

5. I may gamble on the 85mm Jupiters F2. Mixed reviews and doesn't seem like good quality control, but their only 40 bucks often on ebay. I like the saturated, but even and not overdone, color, and looks like butter bokeh is attainable.
I got the 20/4 Flektogon and it focuses to 6 inches, is really sharp up close from f/5.6 and is also more affordable and has less distortion than the 2.8. I know, it's a "wish" list, but not bad to have alternates

Out of curiosity: which lens do you believe Sigma got right?

Also, I think the Biotar is 1.5 and the Asahi 85's are 1.8 and 1.9.
06-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
forensicscientist's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: DFW Texas and Maine - I commute :)
Posts: 889
I wish....

For a FA 31mm.......

Having just rented one from Camera Lens Rental for 2 weeks.....I found it absolutely wonderful.

Now, if only I hadn't spent all my $$ on vacation.....

mark
06-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 136
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I got the 20/4 Flektogon and it focuses to 6 inches, is really sharp up close from f/5.6 and is also more affordable and has less distortion than the 2.8. I know, it's a "wish" list, but not bad to have alternates

Out of curiosity: which lens do you believe Sigma got right?

Also, I think the Biotar is 1.5 and the Asahi 85's are 1.8 and 1.9.
Ah you're right, got the number's mixed up....

150 macro is the only lens of theirs that seems to be unanimously considered great.....and only thing of theirs I'd want to buy. Alas, Canon and Nikon only.

F'em.

06-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
dcmsox2004's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rhode island
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,331
i don't have such ambitious desires... just a SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM...
i've started the first LBA support group in rhode island.....
you can't believe how many have signed up to date.......lol
06-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 136
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Lens Buying Addiction...

Steve

BTW...Good luck on finding a good Flektogon 20/2.8 at an approachable price. I gave up a few years ago.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARL-ZEISS-Jena-FLEKTOGON-MC-20mm-f-2-8-ULTRAWIDE_W0QQcm...lenotsupported

This is the same lens we're talking about right?
06-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 136
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
For a FA 31mm.......

Having just rented one from Camera Lens Rental for 2 weeks.....I found it absolutely wonderful.

Now, if only I hadn't spent all my $$ on vacation.....

mark
I was looking at that earlier today - about just shy of normal eyeball focus distance on APS-C...How was it? Not sure I'd want to spend 1k on it, but convince me

which reminds me, I could use a 30-35 1.4/1.8 lens to add to that list perhaps...but I'll keep things simple for now.
06-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,333
A DA*400 f/4 or more better would be a DA*500mm f/4.
06-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
Zav
Pentaxian
Zav's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,339
Voigtlander 20mm, Voigtlander 40mm. Why am I still buying autofocus camera?... + funny stuff like the biotar 75mm f1,5 or the takumar 17mm f11 fisheye.
06-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
emr
Guest




If I'll buy another Pentax lens, it'll be the DA 15mm ltd. Or the DA 21mm ltd if I get a good price. Most likely nothing more.









(Another story is if I end up getting the Nikon D700 I'm more and more tempted to get...)
06-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
Site Supporter
robbiec's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cork, Ireland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,220
Well I've only been in this game 7 months and I am already starting a little collection...
In no particular order I want a Super Takumar 105 f2.8, a Super Takumar 120 f2.8 or the Super Takumar 135 f2.5
I also want before the years out 2 of the following: an A* 85 f1.4 or FA* 85 f1.4
or DA* 55 f1.4 or the Voightlander 58 f1.4 ...decisions decisions
There is also another but ....
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
16-50mm, 85mm, asahi, da*, k-mount, lens, list, pentax, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Official Pentax Forums "Pixie Dust" Lens List Winnie Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 40 10-24-2016 03:52 AM
K-7 has graced the cover of the September issue of Pop Photo as a "Best Buy!" Matjazz Pentax DSLR Discussion 33 11-04-2012 11:57 AM
amazing results in dpreview's current "quick poll" mattdm Pentax News and Rumors 64 10-18-2010 06:45 PM
Suggestion BB Code List "option" and "value" Aegon Site Suggestions and Help 2 09-17-2010 07:32 PM
"Cameras" in Header does not list Screwmount Pentax tedwhite Pentax Film SLR Discussion 3 12-31-2009 03:32 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top