Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

DA* 300mm focus ring

I received the DA* 300mm in the mail from prodigital2000 a couple of days ago, and have been testing it out. Great lens so far. But, I've noticed that the focus ring has a very slight wobble. I don't notice it when manually focusing, turning the ring either left or right, but I do notice it when I rest the focus ring on my left hand for support, and when removing my left hand. Can anyone else with the DA* 300 test theirs to see if theirs is the same? Is this normal, and if not will it affect weather sealing?

06-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Black Magic Quote
I received the DA* 300mm in the mail from prodigital2000 a couple of days ago, and have been testing it out. Great lens so far. But, I've noticed that the focus ring has a very slight wobble. I don't notice it when manually focusing, turning the ring either left or right, but I do notice it when I rest the focus ring on my left hand for support, and when removing my left hand. Can anyone else with the DA* 300 test theirs to see if theirs is the same? Is this normal, and if not will it affect weather sealing?
I have the same problem with my 50-135mm. I think you should go to them and get a refund for a defective product. If you can't, try going to the store and compare it with another 300mm.
06-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine has always had a little play also, and others have also said the same when the lens came out last year. You may be able to find the old thread, but I seem to recall the consensus was it was normal for the DA300 to have a little play. I'd guess the focus ring is turning a gear underneath that is coupled to the focus clutch and the gear is probably what has the seals. (just a guess though)
06-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Mine has always had a little play also, and others have also said the same when the lens came out last year. You may be able to find the old thread, but I seem to recall the consensus was it was normal for the DA300 to have a little play. I'd guess the focus ring is turning a gear underneath that is coupled to the focus clutch and the gear is probably what has the seals. (just a guess though)
I got my 300 about 7 months ago, and its always had the slight wobble too. I love the lens!!!

I think borno is right, it doesn't affect sealing because there likely is an inner mechanism that is sealed instead. Sealing that very large focus ring would likely lead to a lot of friction. But in any case it seems normal to me.

Phil

06-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't noticed any wobble in my focusing ring. I normally take the tripod mount off when I am hand-holding my camera and rest my hand on the part of the lens the tripod mount attaches to. The tripod mount comes off very easily and quickly - it is an excellent design. It seems like the lens and camera would be front heavy, but it actually balances very nicely like this. I love this lens. Look at the bokeh on this picture. This was handheld at F5.6: