Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2007, 03:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How to clean fungus?

Hello,

I have got couple of old but nice lenses. They are both Takumars and they both have fungus. Is there any way how to clean it ?

Thank you.

Fero

05-01-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I've done it on a couple, I clean them with ROR cleaner and then follow up with regular lens cleaner. During reassembly make sure all spacing is the same as disassembly. Note also that if the fungus has been there a long time it can etch the glass coating.
05-01-2007, 05:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
I've done it on a couple, I clean them with ROR cleaner and then follow up with regular lens cleaner. During reassembly make sure all spacing is the same as disassembly. Note also that if the fungus has been there a long time it can etch the glass coating.
What is the ROR cleaner and I where do I buy it possibly in UK ? Thanks
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #4

Permission to bump this one?

I also have a lens (M macro 1:4 100mm) with the beginnings of fungal growth on the inner surface of the front element.

Any advice on do-it-yourself cleaning would be appreciated.

05-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't have any fungal growth on it, but I've got an old Sigma 75-300 with some dust under the front lens. Is there any way to take it off and clean in there?

The camera repair shop said not to bother and that it won't effect anything, but I'll always wonder if I can improve the picture quality by just cleaning it
05-02-2007, 05:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

ROR is Residual Oil Cleaner, I get it at B&H, do a google and you should be able to find it in the UK.

Here's a link showing a teardown of a lens

Pentax 50mm f/1.4 strip-down instructions

I used this as a guide only to give me an idea how the lenses are put together. I
got my spanner wrench at Thomas Distributors (?). I only go as far as front or rear elements, any further and you can run into problems with lens alignment. I found this out on an old vivitar zoom which I had to redo because I reassembled it wrong.
On a difficulty level I'd rate front and rear elements as easy, any further and you need a good memory or photos :-)
Also a set of jewelers screw drivers is a must, small cheap screw drives can shear off tips if the screws are tight or corroded. Another tip, the spanner wrench will slip, use it Slowly or you can scratch the element.
I'm not an expert by any means, I just found that cleaning lenses and small rangefinder cameras a fun hobby and not as difficult as folks make it out to be :-)
05-02-2007, 06:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Home made...

Distilled vinegar (the white stuff) is the best fungus killer ive ever used. Swiped it once on one of my old m42 lenses and it completely removed all traces. Another which is very good is a 50/50 blend of Methylated sprirts and Distilled water. Leaves little to no cleaning marks as it dissolves into vapour.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 05-02-2007 at 06:33 AM.
05-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I don't have any fungal growth on it, but I've got an old Sigma 75-300 with some dust under the front lens. Is there any way to take it off and clean in there?

The camera repair shop said not to bother and that it won't effect anything, but I'll always wonder if I can improve the picture quality by just cleaning it
Listen to the shop. The affect on your pictures is nil, but the risk that the lens will be damaged during the repair, or won't go back together exactly right is not nil. Those spots have absolutely no effect on your pictures.
05-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks rfortson, I won't take it apart.
I just don't understand how it can't effect image quality at least a little.

If I sent it into Sigma to get cleaned it would probably cost me almost as much as a new lens, so it isn't worth it.
05-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
Forum Member

try taking a small piece of a postit note or something like it and place it on the front elements take a picture with it on and with it off see if you can see a difference.
05-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I just don't understand how it can't effect image quality at least a little.
Its impossible for the lens to focus on the dust as it is so close to the glass (in between the glass to be exact).

So (in my understanding of things), because it is too close to focus on and it is so small and out of focus, you wont be able to see it on your photos.