Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 12:13 AM   #1

What 77mm hood for DA 16-45 + 67-77 + 77mm CPL

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

After my very nasty experience of removing the CPL (a kenko pro1d slim) from the already hooded DA 16-45, I started using the lens without the hood when I needed the CPL. It sometimes flares or looses contrast this way, so I started thinking about a screw-in hood for the polarizer - it has to be the non-flower/petal shaped type. Of course, there's a 67-77 step-up ring involved in all of this.
Did any of you guys run into a similar situation? Have you found a hood that doesn't cause vigneting, preferably metal? I haven't tried anything yet, but I have a feeling that that the regular straight hoods might cause vigneting...
Thanks!

06-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My DA 16-45mm lens came from B&H used w/o a hood but that got me a $35 discount so I bought an eBay plastic petal hood and through some trial and error, shaped it with a small grinder so it no longer vignettes. Probably not the solution for everybody but I enjoy tinkering and hopefully still have an effective hood for less than $10 and 15 minutes of labor.
06-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have to admit I wouldn't have thought of that, it's not a bad idea. It's going to take a lot more than 15 minutes with sandpaper though, but it is the solution if all else fails, thanks!
06-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zorobabel Quote
After my very nasty experience of removing the CPL (a kenko pro1d slim) from the already hooded DA 16-45, I started using the lens without the hood when I needed the CPL. It sometimes flares or looses contrast this way, so I started thinking about a screw-in hood for the polarizer - it has to be the non-flower/petal shaped type. Of course, there's a 67-77 step-up ring involved in all of this.
Did any of you guys run into a similar situation? Have you found a hood that doesn't cause vigneting, preferably metal? I haven't tried anything yet, but I have a feeling that that the regular straight hoods might cause vigneting...
Thanks!
check hoods/rings here

CameraFilters.com - Official Site
eBay Store - Heavy2stars Photo Gear: Step Rings, Other Brand Hoods, Nikon Camera Lens Accessories