Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 04:47 AM   #1

Question about the DA 14mm for very low light

Hey guys,
I need a lens for exclusive club use for promotions. I have a job that i tried to use a 3.5 fisheye and it just hunts too much. I was thinking about the DA 14 mm 2.8. Has anyone had this lens and if so how do you like it? I need the wide angle due to the close confines of the areas ill be shooting. Any suggestions would be great!

Wesley

06-30-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never even held DA14 but I'm not too sure if 1/2 stop will make big diffence.
Generaly I'd say 2.8 is not fast enough for VERY low light, even if you manage to focus...
BR
06-30-2009, 05:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
I would also love some suggestions on a good alternative.
06-30-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why use auto focus with an ultra wide lens? Just set the camera on MF and have a look at your distances. Then focus the lens to that approx distance. Even wide open an ultra wide lens has so much DOF that everything is in focus anyway. Boost the ISO, add +0.3 Ev and stop the lens down a couple of notches. Everything will be as sharp as the shutter speed allows.

That being said, I use a DA*16-50mm for receptions a lot and it doesn't have much trouble finding focus in any light. I've also used the DA 12 -24mm the same way and it's not been a problem. There's a trick to it IMO. Put the camera on spot focus and find as much contrast as you can, like a white shirt at the waist of dark pants. Or dark hair against light skin. That helps the lens focus. Also put the camera in AF.C and just keep tracking your subjects. You'll have lots of keepers. Pentax lenses are the best for this though with the quick shift as you can MF the lens in a second.