Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
FA 35 f/2 hands down.

You won't find anything wider and faster for that price range.
You're right......it does look like pretty much what I'm looking for.....but finding one might be kinda tough!!

vmax84

07-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You might review how you compose scenes; some of us (me for example) tend to tightly frame a subject, in which case a 50mm lens might be appropriate (it is for me).

Dave in Iowa
07-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #18

The Best Lens is Not a Lens - IMHO

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I have the K100D body (really enjoy the camera) and the standard kit lens (18-55?) which I use for indoor use, but will have to use the flash if the room is too dark................which lens would be best for this situation? I've heard of the "fast 50", but honestly don't know much about it.

Suggestions or links? Thanks.

vmax84
In my humble opinion, you will be much better off with a good flash that has swivel and bounce. Pentax AF540, Sigma, Metz. Many will disagree with me on this one but even fast lenses have limitations. If you try to use the FA50 at f1.4, it is very hard to get focus right because of the small depth of field. In fact, at f1.4, you can't really get a person's whole face in focus. This can be great as a style but it can also be quite limiting.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for natural light photography and I have many fast lenses (check my signature), but when there is not enough light, there is not enough light.
07-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
In my humble opinion, you will be much better off with a good flash that has swivel and bounce. Pentax AF540, Sigma, Metz. Many will disagree with me on this one but even fast lenses have limitations. If you try to use the FA50 at f1.4, it is very hard to get focus right because of the small depth of field. In fact, at f1.4, you can't really get a person's whole face in focus. This can be great as a style but it can also be quite limiting.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for natural light photography and I have many fast lenses (check my signature), but when there is not enough light, there is not enough light.
I do have an old (1984 or so vintage) Sunpak Thyristor (or something like that) I use to use on my Pentax MG film camera (it has the adjustable flash head on it), but am afraid of using it on my K100D in fear of screwing up the electronics of my nice K100D.

vmax84

07-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no flash low light means using high ISO and a fast lens ( a lens with a small max. aperture number )

if manual focus: Takumar or Pentax 'M' or Pentax 'A' 50mm f1.4
if wider coverage needed: 35mm f2

if auto focus the FA 50mm f1.4 and FA 35mm f2
07-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #21

Have a Volt Meter?

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I do have an old (1984 or so vintage) Sunpak Thyristor (or something like that) I use to use on my Pentax MG film camera (it has the adjustable flash head on it), but am afraid of using it on my K100D in fear of screwing up the electronics of my nice K100D.

vmax84
If you have a volt meter, you can test the trigger voltage. There is debate as to what voltage is safe but in general, under 10V is not a problem.
07-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
no flash low light means using high ISO and a fast lens ( a lens with a small max. aperture number )

if manual focus: Takumar or Pentax 'M' or Pentax 'A' 50mm f1.4
if wider coverage needed: 35mm f2

if auto focus the FA 50mm f1.4 and FA 35mm f2
I guess that's how I shoot most of my shots.........try and "get away" with the lowest ISO I can, a decent shutter speed so the subject doesn't blur, and let the camera pick the aperature (shoot in Tv mode).

vmax84
07-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
If you have a volt meter, you can test the trigger voltage. There is debate as to what voltage is safe but in general, under 10V is not a problem.
I just don't know if I could put a 25 year old flash on my camera........should probably start shopping for a newer one.

vmax84