Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Does the price hike of pentax lenses affect your purchase plans (new body)?
I’d buy a new Pentax camera even with the lens costs. 4116.21%
I’m re-thinking my next body purchase. 249.49%
Lens costs don;t concern me. (I have all I need and will buy a new body). 4116.21%
I’m selling my gear and switching to another brand 62.37%
I’m on the fence and waiting to see if this settles down. 7128.06%
I’ll stay Pentax and buy 3rd party or used. 4919.37%
None of the above (post a reason please) 218.30%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, since I've only been shooting Pentax since January, but don't the prices of the Limited series lenses tend to fluctuate based on supply since they're only made and shipped in smaller batches (hence the "Limited" label)?

07-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
... let us start with bringing RH back
Only if his screen name is changed to R. Low.
07-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PrimeObjectif Quote
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, since I've only been shooting Pentax since January, but don't the prices of the Limited series lenses tend to fluctuate based on supply since they're only made and shipped in smaller batches (hence the "Limited" label)?
To some degree yes. However, doubling and halving in a matter of a few hours with a "special sale price" in between is unprecedented.
07-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
... That being said, if I had been in the market for the K-7 this lens price hike would have made me wait. There are a few lenses I still want to get, .... Maybe a few others. With the prices as they are now, to use a Brooklyn expression "fahgheddaboudit"
The other thing I'm watching is the price of second hand lenses. If they raise high enough, I may sell my pentax gear and jump to Nikon.
Pretty much sums up what's rolling around in my head now; and I suspect quite a few others.

I've been happily "Pentaxian" since 1982 and never even once cast a disparaging word towards the brand. Nikon was always out there and desirable but not for the cost. But if Pentax closes the price gap too much they won't be the "best bang for the buck" anymore and there will be no incentive for me to maintain a k-mount system.

Having said all that, it is my sincere hope that what transpired yesterday was what it appears - a communicaions clusterf**k - and things will return to rationality. If not, well there are many ways I can "celebrate my independence"...

07-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I'm in a situation where I've got my basic shooting needs covered, so I'm not terribly worried about it from a buyer's perspective. There are a couple more lenses that I'm considering picking up, but if I do, it'll be sometime down the road before I'll be able to afford either one of them (Sigma 10-20 & Tamron 70-200), as I've got other things that are ahead of lenses in line for my gear money. As with my other lens purchases, when I get ready to buy something that can be had new, I'll check the used market first with the hope of saving money.

As for the K7, I honestly don't know whether I'll upgrade or just wait out for it's successor.

Heather
07-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of this hysteria has pushed me to pull the trigger on a DA15 Limited: $550 including shipping from Adorama via Amazon. I think we need a few months to go by before we'll really know what's going on.

The sky falls yet again!
07-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Maybe it's a trick to sell out their lenses now, at the old prices. A lot of people who wouldn't be in the market for a lens might just impulse buy one now if they think prices will rise in the future

I'm done with lenses so I just look at the prices of bodies...

07-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #38

it is interesting to note that while the da* 55mm and 15mm are higher in price, perhaps foreshadowing a rise in lens price, but the k-7 is similar in pricing to the k20d....
07-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #39

price increases are no problem for me as long as they are proportional to other companies' increases. as long as pentax prices are competitive compared to the big two, no worries. this does not seem to be the case for pentax......

my next new lens purchase was going to be a weather sealed da* but i was holding off until i got a weather sealed body. i might have to buy one soon if its going to go up....

with this recession and all the hype of the competitively priced k-7, this could be a great time for pentax to show people the quality of their lenses/cameras for a very reasonable price.

if prices do go up with no light at the end of the tunnel for any relief, i too would think about jumping ship.... (something i would not like to do) or maybe just buying more nice MF vintage lenses. i chose pentax for their great value and small sexy primes.

PENTAX STAY COMPETITIVE.

Last edited by eyou; 07-02-2009 at 11:22 AM.
07-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #40

I voted None of the Above. I don't have the money for either a new body or lenses at the moment (and probably not for at least 6 months unless I win the lottery or something), so price changes now don't affect anything for me, as any purchases of new equipment are relatively far in the future.

Although Wally World having a deal on the K20 is making my credit card itch, darnit.
07-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I am not buying more DA lenses anyway cos I have more than what I need. K7 looks nice but cannot justify the price, well the Km will have to do since I need SR mostly for my FA*200/2.8 which has been collecting dust.
07-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #42

40mm

i just got my da 40mm for 289.00 plus free shipping ...that was the cheapest i could find it now ....if i would have ordered it a couple months ago i could have got it for 269.00....unreal ..pentax's website they have it for 499.00.....glad i got my 70mm and my *50-135 last year
07-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #43
Kei

My original plan the next lens will be the DA12-24 or DA15; scratch that now its the Sigma 10-20mm.

I'm glad that I bought the DA35 and DA40 before the April 1 price hike in Canada.
07-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks for the poll Peter. I had already decided to put off the purchase of the K-7. Body prices only drop. I'll pick it up for the same price I paid for my ist DS, K10D, and K20D, ie around $700 in a year's time or so. That being said, if I had been in the market for the K-7 this lens price hike would have made me wait. There are a few lenses I still want to get, FA 31, DA* 60-250, DA* 55. Maybe a few others. With the prices as they are now, to use a Brooklyn expression "fahgheddaboudit"
The other thing I'm watching is the price of second hand lenses. If they raise high enough, I may sell my pentax gear and jump to Nikon.

NaCl(to say I'm not happy is an understatement)H2O
Are the prices not climbing on Nikon lenses?
I'm curious whether this is a Pentax only phenomenon. I have really seen a spike in the prices of older Pentax lenses.
07-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #45
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Pentax has no ~200mm macro in their line up.
I stand corrected on my poll entry - that one I want...