Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Does the price hike of pentax lenses affect your purchase plans (new body)?
Iíd buy a new Pentax camera even with the lens costs. 4116.21%
Iím re-thinking my next body purchase. 249.49%
Lens costs don;t concern me. (I have all I need and will buy a new body). 4116.21%
Iím selling my gear and switching to another brand 62.37%
Iím on the fence and waiting to see if this settles down. 7128.06%
Iíll stay Pentax and buy 3rd party or used. 4919.37%
None of the above (post a reason please) 218.30%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
My original plan the next lens will be the DA12-24 or DA15; scratch that now its the Sigma 10-20mm.

I'm glad that I bought the DA35 and DA40 before the April 1 price hike in Canada.
Hmmmm. As of 5 minutes ago, the DA 15 at B&H is the same price I paid for mine in May - 600 bucks. What's the DA 15 going for up your way?

Jer

07-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I put "Other" because while it didn't make me rethink my decision to buy the K-7, it did change my lens buying plans.

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a DA*16-50, as it had dropped to $639 and that was the lowest price I had seen it in awhile and I imagine the lowest it will be for some time if the prices do go up. Also, the 16-50 is one of the lenses that are eligible for a rebate with the purchase of a K-7. Put all of that together, and if I can sell my DA16-45, then making this decision now was more economical than waiting for later.

Another way it changed my mind is I will likely hold off on completing the telephoto part of my kit until I see what Pentax is going to do. If they release a weather sealed DA55-300, for example, then I'll jump on that rather than spending $800 plus for a faster weather sealed option. Or if I they come out with nothing else in this range and prices remain high, I will consider the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 as an alternative. In the meantime, if I need a telephoto lens, such as for a wedding I will be shooting in September, then I will rent one.

If worse comes to worse, and things backfire on Pentax and the company implodes into camera oblivion, at least I will have the K-7 and a bunch of lenses that I already like. In this doomsday scenario I would probably consider eventually adding another brand's system, and then migrating to that entirely if my Pentax stuff stops working.
07-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I put "Other" because while it didn't make me rethink my decision to buy the K-7, it did change my lens buying plans.

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a DA*16-50, as it had dropped to $639 and that was the lowest price I had seen it in awhile and I imagine the lowest it will be for some time if the prices do go up. Also, the 16-50 is one of the lenses that are eligible for a rebate with the purchase of a K-7. Put all of that together, and if I can sell my DA16-45, then making this decision now was more economical than waiting for later.

Another way it changed my mind is I will likely hold off on completing the telephoto part of my kit until I see what Pentax is going to do. If they release a weather sealed DA55-300, for example, then I'll jump on that rather than spending $800 plus for a faster weather sealed option. Or if I they come out with nothing else in this range and prices remain high, I will consider the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 as an alternative. In the meantime, if I need a telephoto lens, such as for a wedding I will be shooting in September, then I will rent one.

If worse comes to worse, and things backfire on Pentax and the company implodes into camera oblivion, at least I will have the K-7 and a bunch of lenses that I already like. In this doomsday scenario I would probably consider eventually adding another brand's system, and then migrating to that entirely if my Pentax stuff stops working.
70-200mm range is fantastic for weddings IMO (after playing with a 50-135mm of course :-P)

I think all the lens price increases is just b/c of (like what DamnBrit said earlier) just due to factories moving. I also read that smoeone here say that "IDC as long as PEntax is inline with other companies." I have looked at the prices for other Canon glass and it has risen just a tad (maybe like $20-100 increase). I am definitely one of those people that will wait and see wtf happens, although this does affect my lens buying options slightly, since I told my dad to EXCHANGE my 50-135mm instead of RETURNING it (thats what it said on the paper, although when it asked to describe defect, he wrote that he "MF ring broken blah.... i want to exchange but could not find option on website". Is the paper supposed to say ""return"? Because if it isn't and there was an option for exchanging, I am worried that the price of the 50-135mm will spike up so much by the time I get my money back that I won't be able to afford it!
07-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
... I think the only thing that could really move me from Pentax is Pentax Canada's P*SS-poor service. Why they have a "form" to contact them when they don't respond to it has got to be my biggest pet-peeve with them...
I searched around for their 1-800 number when I was asking about sending my K20D in for repair; can't remember exactly where I found it on their Canadian site, but I may have been re-routed a couple of times before I spoke to the right person.

Anyhow, I prefer phone numbers over online forms any day, and it seems this is the only way to get a quick response from Pentax Canada.

07-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #50

if my k10d would be broke tomorrow, i would get an used k20d and then wait for the k-7 successor.
right now i am fine with the lenses i got, but i feel like buying an old 300mm. i don't want to spend my money on a DA*300.
07-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Pentax do not have the service, support and coverage of the big boys. The main thing they have going for them is value for money. Lose that and they may as well pack it in right now, because no-one is going to pick them over the other companies. They have a hard enough time as it is!

The price increase is a deliberate ploy to get more revenue in the door. Some correction is needed due to the value of the yen, but nothing justifies the 100% increases in the UK, Canada, etc. Instead of hiking prices, Pentax should be playing the value card.

As I have calculated in another thread, for a few hundred quid more than a K-7 50mm setup I can get a superior full-frame Nikon rig. For 50% more than a dual zoom pro Pentax setup I can get the same in full-frame Nikon. A 50% premium may sound like a lot, but you get an awful lot more for it, including a company that will stand by you, the ability to rent gear no matter where you are, and so on. For a professional it's a no-brainer.

I love the Pentax IQ and the primes. But if I can no longer afford lenses I will seriously consider selling out. I'll wait until the replacement for the D700 hits the shelves and scoop up the current camera for cheap. I won't be able to afford too many lenses, but who cares? Lenses on my shelf do not make me a better photographer.

At this rate, I figure I'm out of here within 12 months.

I voted "none of the above" since I wouldn't be buying a full-price body anyway. That's a very bad investment. If I had any cash I'd be snapping up those lenses that haven't already gone through the roof.
07-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #52
Pentaxian

I would have no issues buying another Pentax camera although I'm not shopping right now. The K7 looks real nice and maybe in a year or so.....

I don't see where the other brands lenses are any cheaper. One can always buy Tamrons, Sigmas, or others and there are lots of used lenses out there waiting for homes. I have always shopped around for the best prices and if they are too high, I wait. The 100% increase seem to be happening oputside the USA so I must admit to not being as affected by it as some others. The prices I have looked at on lenses I have on my wish list are up around 20%. I also have no problem buying used.
12-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
None of the above:

Anytime I make a major purchase (which now includes most Pentax lenses) I evaluate the situation. I almost switched to Nikon (new) instead of picking up my K20d used.

12-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #54
Veteran Member

With 50 odd lenses I don't really need more although for the right price I'll always adopt another lens. Bought the good lady a K7 for Xmas so I answered with my actions I suppose. Reading about all those SDM failures is making me hesitant regarding buying the current Pentax lenses as well.
12-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I'm waiting until late or the end of 2010 before deciding whether to stay Pentax or go Canon. Not just because of price hikes of Pentax themselves, but because Canon can provide proper CS and QC as well as lenses that are Made in Japan at the same price of what Pentax is trying to offer.

Pentax at the moment is trying to somehow "price-match" Canon's L glass that has good QC and great USM with a proper repair factory and prices that proves it is worth the "Made in Japan" label. While Pentax with the same pricing has lenses that's made in Vietnam with a chance of SDM failures, 16-50 decentering defect, no proper repair factory (CRIS), and with this type of service, a price-hike is definitely not a smart idea especially considering a lot of people went with Pentax in the first place because of pricing. Not because of pricing that is going to make me stay with Pentax or not, it's just the quality of service and the quality of equipment for the pricing compared to the competitor.

We will see when the time comes, no later than 2011 will I see. Canikon is not afraid to announce their mistakes and recall their mistakes and fix their mistakes, while at the same time we haven't even seen a slightest of an idea of what Pentax is going to do with its SDM. Only giving Pentax time and waiting it out instead of swapping right now, is because of the success of the K-x and K-7 which has given Hoya profit. With this profit, I am waiting it out to see if they are going to spend it properly and have a plan to improve the concerns above. They don't need to get it all done by the end of 2010 because it's hard for that to happen and I understand that. I Just want to see improvement. If they can improve at a rate that's good enough for me, then I will stay otherwise Canon is my last resort.

With improvement, it shows the future of Pentax and that they really care. But without much improvement or without any at all, that shows the image of Pentax's future on top of the unresolved problems that continue to spread and plague. I love Pentax and I want to stay, but I don't want to stay if the future isn't bright.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-21-2009 at 10:55 PM.
12-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #56
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll stick around, not for loyalty, but for practicality - an array of lenses I'm happy with that'll be as good or better on more advanced APS-C bodies in the future.

I'm in no rush at all to go FF.
12-22-2009, 01:47 AM   #57

While i think the prices have gone up a fair bit in the last year ive been with pentax i dont think they're getting that ridiculously high. With the economy like it was im not surprised theres been price hikes but im willing to wait for it to stabilise. Funding for R&D and customer service has to come from somewhere after all, and id rather there be some sort of price hike and a bunch of new lenses be released than pentax keep the same pricing they had before and then stay with the same old bodies and lenses.
12-22-2009, 05:33 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem is that no one else offers the type of bodies and primes that I enjoy using. Sure, I could get similar quality sticking an L prime on a Canon 50D, say, but the package definitely would not inspire me to take it along and shoot with it a lot. I may buy fewer lenses with prices going up, but I am certainly not switching away from Pentax.
12-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #59
Site Supporter

I voted "none of the above" because in general I have all the lenses I need for the moment. Recently I bought few lenses mainly in order to have two sufficiently distinct lens line ups - one for my daughter and one for me. But prior to that I haven't bought a lens for quite a while. Having recently bought K-7 and having K10D for my daughter I don't forsee any big Pentax purchases in the near future.
12-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The price hikes do affect my buying decisions. I'm not rich and I now can't afford to buy any new lenses, since all the ones I was interested in (35/2 for example) have gone up drastically in price. However, like Rondec said, the main reason I'm into Pentax in the first place is because of their bodies and primes. I've used bodies from Canon, Nikon, and Sony, and I know what I'm "missing" -- it's nothing, for me personally. Pentax bodies consistently are the best-handling, most comfortable to use, with the best features. The selection of high-quality primes, as well as the huge back catalogue of lenses is really a huge boon to me. And most of the lenses I own, besides Pentax primes, and older lenses, are third-party lenses that are compatible to most mounts, so why not choose Pentax? So I have