Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Does the price hike of pentax lenses affect your purchase plans (new body)?
I壇 buy a new Pentax camera even with the lens costs. 4116.21%
I知 re-thinking my next body purchase. 249.49%
Lens costs don;t concern me. (I have all I need and will buy a new body). 4116.21%
I知 selling my gear and switching to another brand 62.37%
I知 on the fence and waiting to see if this settles down. 7128.06%
I値l stay Pentax and buy 3rd party or used. 4919.37%
None of the above (post a reason please) 218.30%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
None of the above...

I'm quite happy with my K10D and have no plans to buy a new body any time soon, regardless of the prices of lenses.

But I had plans to buy DA 12-24 and DA* 300 (or maybe 60-250 instead) and those plans are affected heavily by the price hike. I still want that glass, but it will take me much more time to save up for it.

12-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #62
Site Supporter

None of the above...
My K20D is only just a year old! I'm still in the midst of lba never mind cba!
I dunno if the price rises on lenses will stop me getting a K7 in 6 months or a year from now but it sure is hampering my 'new' lens collection. My 2 zooms were bought new but all my other lenses were 2nd hand. I will buy the 35mm or new 100mm macros new however, have to give Pentax some sales been feeling a bit guilty.
Should the lens price rises make you think about purchasing a new body? Well:
if you're just coming into the system then why do you need a new body?,
if you have an older body like say the K10D and maybe a small collection of lenses? why affect? the new bodies seem reasonably priced and the kit prices are better so you get a new body and 1 or more new lenses to play with.
If you still need to get by on a more frugal means then go 2nd hand. You can still get fantastic and in some cases legendary equipment for good money and the new prices don't matter
12-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's another "none of the above" voter and vintage glass user like Nesster and Raymeedc.

The Pentax K-X looks interesting so I might give in to her charms one day.

Hoping for similar astronomical price hikes to sell some Takumars...
Georg
12-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Hoping for similar astronomical price hikes to sell some Takumars...
Georg
Heretic!! +1

12-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

I have carefully acquired all the glass I think I need (everything covered from 10 to 300) and its the best quality I can afford. I kept my K100 when I upgraded to the K20 when the price dropped substantially. My most recent acquisitions have been "structural and mechanical" in nature, a much better tripod, ball head and pano head. I do need a second battery for my K20, but really when it comes down to it, I do not really need anything else. The K20 has basically everything that I need, and is a wonderful camera - and overshadows my skill level. I just saw an ad for a brand new K7 down in the marketplace by a person who said that they made a mistake with the K7 because the K20 is all they really need. I really can not think of anything that I can't shoot now (well - I don't do flash). So, my acquisition mode is going into abatement at least for the foreseeable future.

The K8 or what ever the K7's replacement may be called, will hopefully have some additional features not on the K7, and I may feel the need to seriously look. But, the bottom line is, the K20 currently surpasses my skill level by a large margin, so all I need to do is to be happy and go take some pictures....

That said, I do peek at the marketplace, evilbay to some degree and a used camera site, and if a stupidly priced item comes along - I may be tempted......
12-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #66
juu
Veteran Member

Well, "I知 re-thinking my next body purchase."

I've budgeted to upgrade the camera and get an ultra-wide angle zoom before my next longer vacation. If before I'd have only looked at Pentax then now I will definitely evaluate other systems as well.

The Pentax 12-24mm is literally $1400 where I live, and that's excessive.

No matter what is their intended positioning (if there is one), their execution is terrible and whoever is in charge of their marketing needs to be let go.
12-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #67
Site Supporter

I'm one of those waiting to see how things work out because, while I own no Pentax primes right now (and I would love a full set of FA or DA Limiteds) , my zooms do cover everything from 16 to 300mm (24-450mm in full-frame terms). I even have the 18-250 for vacation use. And if the SDM in my 16-50 and 50-135 ever give me trouble, my 16-45 and 55-300 will still cover the range while maintaining quality a clear step up from kit lenses.

Yes, I'd also like a K-7 and a K-x, but my K200D is still working fine and I might be able to swing a K-x body only in a few months while still keeping the K200D. My point is, while I'd like to have the primes and the latest cameras, I don't really have to have anything new anytime soon. So time is on my side.

But I'll say this: If there's no relief on Pentax lens pricing in, say, the next 18 months or so (that's halfway through 2011), I may very well change systems at the next natural opportunity. I wouldn't do it right away because everything I have works. But the next time I need to upgrade the body or require a major camera or lens repair, I could switch.

And, frankly, I don't find myself looking in the direction of Canikon. I find myself drawn to micro four-thirds (specifically the Panasonic G1 and GF1) or maybe the new Samsung NX (provided image quality meets expectations). And there may be similar cameras with APS-C sensors from other brands in the next 18 months. Given advances in sensor technology, micro four-thirds may not be at a disadvantage at higher ISOs much longer.

But there could be safety valve in the form of more third-party lenses for Pentax. I've personally tried to keep my lenses all Pentax. But there are some better Sigmas and Tamrons that I would consider. Here's what I'd like even more: new auto-focus lenses for Pentax - particularly primes - from a company like Voigtlander. Currently, it's pretty much all manual focus from them and I don't know if I trust my eyes that much any more. But if Voigtlander ever offers good, auto-focus lenses for 30 percent less than the expensive Pentax DA* and Limited lines, I'm there.

Given the price of some of Voigtlander's manual-focus lenses right now, I think this is very doable. Many of them already have KA-mounts and CPUs for metering. They don't even have to offer in-lens SDM-type motors at first. They can use the screw drives that are still in all Pentax bodies. They can upgrade later. There's clearly a market hole that needs to be filled. If Voigtlander steps up, they could then offer the same lenses for all other mounts. I'll bet they'd sell all the lenses they could make.

Last edited by Biro; 12-26-2009 at 11:16 PM.
12-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #68
m8o
Veteran Member

Nice, timely poll; I'm kinda surprised more people aren't in-line with my selection. This could have been a multi-selection poll as my thinking is in-line with a few of them; they're not all mutually exclusive.

A big part of my decision to start with Pentax over Nikon was overall cost and value (bang for my buck). Imagine my surprise when after all the research I did in selecting what body I wanted to start my SLR journey with, I found my lack of researching what lens I'd want for the safari I was going on left me with practically nothing before I left due to the lack of long fast glass options for Pentax in the summer of '07... I've had an innumerable share of struggles with AF on my K10D, and practically have no shots of anything on the move -- and spend a ridiculous number of hours post processing trying to get a good clean noise free line of any detail that is at the boundary of a shadow -- and now we have this.

I'm actually thinking of picking-up a K-x now instead of K-7 due to a number of issues, cost one of them.

On the other hand, I want Pentax to survive, and know they have to increase margins to do that. I just wish AF was reliable and could actually catch something on the move. With the K-7 still using the same basic hardware I'm really hesitant to get it for the price I have to pay + the lenses I still want/need to pick-up to make my kit complete. I'd be very open to the increase if this platform was up to par with the competition when we're talking about things in motion.

-steve

12-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm really interested in what Pentax is going to be coming out in the coming year from a glass standpoint. There was really minimal movement in 2009. I don't particularly need more lenses at this point, although I would look seriously at the 60-250 and the DA 15. I don't see great deals out there on high quality glass from any company. The only thing you can say is that maybe Nikon and Canon take better care of you for the same price.
12-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #70
Site Supporter

Yes, it's not just lens pricing... it's lens availability. There are huge holes in Pentax's lineup that one can drive a Mack truck through.

The sorest point - and I believe there's a general consensus on this - is the lack of a cheap fast prime in the 28-35mm range. Almost every Pentaxian is screaming for this and the screams are (apparently) falling on deaf ears. Currently it's the FA 31mm f/1.4 Limited at $900+, the somewhat flawed Sigma 30mm f/1.4 at $439 - or nothing.

There are other holes in the lineup as well. There should be faster DA Limiteds. There need to be more fast telephoto options. It's very frustrating. Perhaps 2010 will give us a few pleasant surprises. But weatherizing the current lineup won't be enough.
12-31-2009, 02:17 AM   #71
Pentaxian

We bought into Pentax specificaly for the ability to share gear and shoot vintage glass(which we do). So other than the cost of kit lenses(18-55 & 55-300), it's all manual and third party glass for us

So it's all good
And, were definitately looking forward to the K8!
12-31-2009, 02:31 AM   #72
James S

I'm fairly content with my lenses currently, my next purchase is likely to be a body + grip. The only lenses I see on my horizon are maybe the DA40+DA70.
12-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #73
Forum Member

I just ordered a K-X and it should arrive on Saturday. In my decision making process I nearly went with Canon/Nikon due to the lower what you might call 'entry level' lens prices.

For example both Nikon and Canon have a fairly nice 50mm 1.8 for right around 100 USD. Pentax could use something in that range to compete for the just leaving point and shoots market share (like me).

In the end I decided to go with Pentax because of the vintage lenses that everyone has been mentioning. I have a good friend who apparently has quite a bit of glass from his film days lying around and is willing to loan it out. If that weren't the case I'd have probably went Canon.
01-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadAmos Quote
I just ordered a K-X and it should arrive on Saturday. In my decision making process I nearly went with Canon/Nikon due to the lower what you might call 'entry level' lens prices.

For example both Nikon and Canon have a fairly nice 50mm 1.8 for right around 100 USD. Pentax could use something in that range to compete for the just leaving point and shoots market share (like me).

In the end I decided to go with Pentax because of the vintage lenses that everyone has been mentioning. I have a good friend who apparently has quite a bit of glass from his film days lying around and is willing to loan it out. If that weren't the case I'd have probably went Canon.
You made a better choice if what was drawing you to Canon was their plastic fantastic 50/1.8 because that might be the most overrated lense in the Canon line up. I used several copies on my 40D and the thing was merely adequate on it's best day. Canon shooters like it for one and only one reason, it is cheap and they can treat it like crap not caring if they break it....I always got the sense the reason Canon still makes it was for pure PR reasons just for giving users the novelty, and option, of a cheap lense most Canon shooters consider disposable. Every single Pentax 50mm, from my old SMC Tak 55/2 $30 copy to modern $350 versions, are superior to that lense. The real sleeper in the Canon line-up is the EFS 55-250IS (the newer 4-stop IS no less) for just over $200 most days. It should really be their kit lens for the nice price/IQ performance. It easily compares to the DA 50-300 for about 30% less and that DA is super even when not considering the reasonable price.
01-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #75

I bought a K200D last summer because I had already a great set of Pentax lenses.
But also because euro 400 for a body built like a battle ship was a good deal I thought.
Ad the fact that I always could intutively work with pentax bodies without reading the manual,
and there was no doubt in my mind I was making the right choice.
Now, I don't have almost any lens I had then (in fact only the m28/3,5 I still own),
though their is no recret at all.
To fill the wide-angle-gap I bought the DA16-45 (euro 309) and for tele snapshots the DA50-200 (euro 99). There is so much good old glas out there that I did not have to spent to much on newer, higher priced primes. When prices in the future will drop I would like to ad a FA43 or FA77 or 100mmmacroWR to my collection, but untill then its nice working with FA- A- m- and K-lenses too!