Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Does the price hike of pentax lenses affect your purchase plans (new body)?
Iíd buy a new Pentax camera even with the lens costs. 4116.21%
Iím re-thinking my next body purchase. 249.49%
Lens costs don;t concern me. (I have all I need and will buy a new body). 4116.21%
Iím selling my gear and switching to another brand 62.37%
Iím on the fence and waiting to see if this settles down. 7128.06%
Iíll stay Pentax and buy 3rd party or used. 4919.37%
None of the above (post a reason please) 218.30%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I voted that I will change to another brand, and I cant change my vote. In reality, I'm fence sitting. I've only had my K200D just over a year and have only bought a couple of Tamron zooms, neither of which are top grade. I was planning to get a K-x and some decent primes over the next few months but if prices keep skyrocketing, I think I'll be moving to Nikon, where I can get what I want at a fraction of the pentax cost here in oz. damnation. The thing is, I probably wont sell the pentax gear... I'm kind of attached to it.

01-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll stay with Pentax. Compared to our Canon/Nikon/Sony brothers, Pentax lenses are still a good value. As for the new body, I'm still waiting (in vain?) for a K30D.
01-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Being that I've shot with pentax since the age of 12 I'd find it hard to jump ship now.

If i come to the point that I find another company a better product & better value I'll switch, but so far neither one has come true so I'm not worried
01-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
Being that I've shot with pentax since the age of 12 I'd find it hard to jump ship now.

If i come to the point that I find another company a better product & better value I'll switch, but so far neither one has come true so I'm not worried
Sadly the thing is, as far as HoyaTax is concerned, they don't care about customers like yourself, unless you are buying more lenses a few times a year and a new body every 18-months. To me that seems to be the difference between Pentax and the current HoyaTax way of doing things.

01-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #80
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote

+1, though my time with Pentax started a little later in my teens.
01-29-2010, 05:42 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

Switching would definitely cost more money than standing pat. Not rushing out to buy lots of lenses, but certainly not going away either.
02-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #82

I’m on the fence and waiting to see if this settles down.

Fence sitting because I was lucky enough to purchase the lenses I wanted before the price got stupid....
02-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #83
Veteran Member

does it affect purchase plans? yes of course!

I would have bought a Nikon.

02-03-2010, 04:00 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Sadly the thing is, as far as HoyaTax is concerned, they don't care about customers like yourself, unless you are buying more lenses a few times a year and a new body every 18-months. To me that seems to be the difference between Pentax and the current HoyaTax way of doing things.
I found out about brand loyalty when pentax USA wouldn't service my FA*300mm f2.8
02-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #85
Pentaxian

It certainly has because I ordered a D700 recently and I was shocked to find that I could equip it with some of the better glass for(almost) the same rate as Pentax's lenses. However... what bothred me even more was the looming SDM failure stories.

And though I won't blame my decision on lens pricing alone, it did play a role in my decision to jump brands this year.
02-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
It certainly has because I ordered a D700 recently and I was shocked to find that I could equip it with some of the better glass for(almost) the same rate as Pentax's lenses. However... what bothred me even more was the looming SDM failure stories.

And though I won't blame my decision on lens pricing alone, it did play a role in my decision to jump brands this year.
I believe the lack of an FF dlsr body is also another consideration. one of the major reasons I went Pentax is because of their Pentax glass' unique rendering, although I'm not aware of sure if there is an adapter mounting for those glasses to work perfectly or fully functional (including AF, metering) in a Nikon body.

I love the D700, and would consider it as another body for FF use. especially when the majority of my lenses are FF-capable. DX-mode would give me an additional versatility but find it quite short-handed at only 5MP resolution. I guess this is the advantage of the MP size resolution of the Pentax dlsr, for now. oh and yes, size and weight is an issue for me. anything bigger and heavier than the K-7 would be a big minus.
02-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #87
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't affect body purchase plans at all because I've already got one. Affects lens purchase plans though, means I'll buy less and I'll buy used/off brand.

I doubt whether it's news to anyone at pentax that higher prices means less sales. They're not stupid.

can you really blame them though, they're trying to survive. It means more profit.
02-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #88
Veteran Member

The kick in the butt though is that many of the off brands seem to have jacked their prices over the past year as well.
I am new to photography and I see reviews all the time from people who paid 900 less than 18 months ago for a lens that is now selling for over 1200!!

GRR
02-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
The kick in the butt though is that many of the off brands seem to have jacked their prices over the past year as well.
I am new to photography and I see reviews all the time from people who paid 900 less than 18 months ago for a lens that is now selling for over 1200!!

GRR
you can blame the Lehman Bros. for that.
02-17-2010, 03:17 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe the lack of an FF dlsr body is also another consideration. one of the major reasons I went Pentax is because of their Pentax glass' unique rendering, although I'm not aware of sure if there is an adapter mounting for those glasses to work perfectly or fully functional (including AF, metering) in a Nikon body.
I bought into the D700 purely for the high ISO capacity. I have a shoot coming-up in a few months that's going to be in low light and I really couldn't afford to take chances. My tests showed that 6400-128K would do perfectly and thus the justification.

Having said that, if I could of achieved the same with a Pentax I never would have bothered because I'd have all the lenses needed to get the job done. And in case someone thinks it, I did try with my wife's Kx btw, but... it just wasn't up to the task for this type of job. Though it could have worked with a different project, this one is a little more demanding.

Having said that, I was shocked at the much closer price difference between the Nikor and Pentax's lenses. I guess that's because I never looked at buying Pentax's glass since the price hikes took place.

PS. I'll probably sell the D700 after the project is finished