Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Does the price hike of pentax lenses affect your purchase plans (new body)?
Iíd buy a new Pentax camera even with the lens costs. 4116.21%
Iím re-thinking my next body purchase. 249.49%
Lens costs don;t concern me. (I have all I need and will buy a new body). 4116.21%
Iím selling my gear and switching to another brand 62.37%
Iím on the fence and waiting to see if this settles down. 7128.06%
Iíll stay Pentax and buy 3rd party or used. 4919.37%
None of the above (post a reason please) 218.30%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I bought into the D700 purely for the high ISO capacity. I have a shoot coming-up in a few months that's going to be in low light and I really couldn't afford to take chances. My tests showed that 6400-128K would do perfectly and thus the justification.

Having said that, if I could of achieved the same with a Pentax I never would have bothered because I'd have all the lenses needed to get the job done. And in case someone thinks it, I did try with my wife's Kx btw, but... it just wasn't up to the task for this type of job. Though it could have worked with a different project, this one is a little more demanding.

Having said that, I was shocked at the much closer price difference between the Nikor and Pentax's lenses. I guess that's because I never looked at buying Pentax's glass since the price hikes took place.

PS. I'll probably sell the D700 after the project is finished

Don't worry, it'll not be the end of High-ISO upgrade. in fact, in the near distant future, I was thinking that the camera manufacturers would create a dslr with a High ISO, high enough to illuminate a pitch black setup into a daylight one, but as clean as being shot at ISO 50.

I'm also shocked by the price hike as well. February of last year, I was so excited of shifting to Pentax. the FA50/1.4 costs $200, the DA40 at $300 and the DA* zooms at $650 (before I got disgruntled with the SDM failures). not to mention that the old FA35 at $200, FA100 and FA135 were selling at $200-$300. Pentax gears were a tasty bunch and were within easy reach back then. and then suddenly Pentax went cuckoo, the same as the resellers. nice timing and what a bummer.

some Nikkor 50s, 85s, and 100s are even cheaper now actually. but the absence of VR on those lenses somehow made them less appealing. I do say that those are great lenses in their unique way. very sharp or even sharper than their Pentax counterparts but lacks the colors that I was looking for.

02-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #92

Photos: Gallery
None of the above

Most of my reasons have been posted (by others) elsewhere in this thread. Not in the market right now, I am covered with what I have at present, etc.

I have been guilty of jumping brands the last 3.5 years. While I am not made of money, I have been very lucky in the results of purchasing on sale, and not losing much (in some cases not at all) on the resale.

I originally (digitally speaking) started with the Canon 300D and a 28-135mm IS lens. Not that I was looking to buy into the whole dslr thing. A friend was upgrading and offered it to me for a fantastic price.

It only took a few shots to get hooked.

Over time I upgraded in the Canon line, tried a Sigma SD14 and some assorted lenses, sold off everything and made a (albeit hasty) snap decision to try the Nikon D90, and finally moving into the Pentax system I have been with for over a year.

I shot Pentax (Spotmatic) back in the 70's before marriage and children (And yes, I am REALLY kicking myself about some of the stuff I could have hung unto for present use) so when I read about the K20d and saw the value in the Pentax lens line up I made (what I thought would be) a final move into the Pentax system.

I still believe that dollar for dollar their is no camera that matches up to the K20d feature set and abilities.

But the lens pricing has me thinking about the future. That is a component that does have an impact on future purchasing concerns.

I have also been working as 2nd photographer on wedding/event shoots. The position is more of a gopher/can't be in 2 places at once so take a shot for alternate perspective, etc. so the pay is minimal. The photographer is using a Canon 5D MkII and a bevy of "L" glass and has suggested that if I ever were to switch back to Canon I would have the opportunity to utilize some of her lenses. This is more of a running line of humor between us.

So I am not holding my breath over that offer. The friend who sold me his 300D made the same comment and while there was some lens swapping going on initially, it always was with angst over what would happen in the event of beakage.
And eventually we both started shooting in different areas so our inventory was just not compatible for swapping.

But it does get me thinking about future equipment purchases.

And it also makes me wish I would have forgone eating 15 months ago when I could have bought a DA* 50-135mm AND a FA 50mm f/1.4 for less that what the damn 50-135mm goes for right now.