Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Does the price hike of pentax lenses affect your purchase plans (new body)?
I’d buy a new Pentax camera even with the lens costs. 4116.21%
I’m re-thinking my next body purchase. 249.49%
Lens costs don;t concern me. (I have all I need and will buy a new body). 4116.21%
I’m selling my gear and switching to another brand 62.37%
I’m on the fence and waiting to see if this settles down. 7128.06%
I’ll stay Pentax and buy 3rd party or used. 4919.37%
None of the above (post a reason please) 218.30%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Nope I just checked again. $1049.95 and whoop-dee-do, free shipping.
It is $699 with the "special put in the cart" to see the price.

07-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Checked again and now it's $699. But it was 1050.00 2 hours ago. Regardless, the worldwide price increases are coming.
07-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Checked again and now it's $699. But it was 1050.00 2 hours ago. Regardless, the worldwide price increases are coming.
The weird part is that now it is straight $699 without having to put the $1049 in cart to see the special price. That is at least 3 price changes in a few hours.
07-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #19
Damn Brit

I've said this before. I think Pentax have run down their lens stock for whatever reason, moving factories, possible new lenses, K-7 production. The price hikes are to get top dollar for whatever they do have available.
Here's an example, Amazon have had no new stocks of the 77 Limited or the 40 Limited for at least a couple of months, that's unusual to me.
I'm thinking that when the K-7 comes out, there will be rebates on lenses and then after the initial rush (if it happens) prices will go back down but not as low as previously.

07-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It would certainly be nice for JCPentax (or any Pentax rep) to step in and share some official word on what's going on. Because looking at Adorama, B&H and Amazon all I see is one big clusterf**k. Whatever is going on isn't pretty and wasn't handled properly at all. I actually feel a bit badly for the retailers because from the looks of things they don't know what the f**k is going on either.

I honestly do not know what I'll end up doing if Pentax does push a 40% price hike on their lens lineup. But one way or the other it would very likely preclude further PENTAX-DA purchases.

Gary, I voiced my suspicions of "rebate pricing" myself this afternoon. I certainly hope they (Hoya) aren't pulling a stunt like that; Pentax doesn't have the market share to make ultimatums with their customer base.
07-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #21
Closed Account

... Regardless, the worldwide price increases are coming.
ARE coming? In Canada, they already came in March. Please don't tell me that Pentax is planning for more in my country! Then I might jump ship for sure!!

Last edited by enoxatnep; 07-05-2009 at 10:14 PM.
07-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I'm well aware that the prices have risen in every market including Canada. The USA prices have gone up a little as well.

My take on the Adorama situation is these retailers have been told of a coming price increase and either the date wasn't fixed (doubt that) for the new prices or Adorama jumped the gun assuming the others would do the same and hoped to do some profit taking on existing stock at the old wholesale costs (likely). The reps from all these shops watch the forums (we've seen their posts) and they quickly reversed direction when B&H and others stayed at the current prices (which are up 10-15% from a couple of months ago).

So that little price hike is a warning that in a month or so we'll see that and similar, across- the - board lens increases that Canada, Europe and everywhere else already has seen.

07-02-2009, 06:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
35 years ago, when I moved to bayonet mount, I remember picking Pentax becasue the quality/price ratio was better than Nikon or Canon. It has always been a big selling point for Pentax. The price now for the limiteds hasn't made me switch brands for the body (I have too much K-mount glass already), but it kept me from buying the 31mm ltd and the DA* 55mm. I've been spending more time on Ebay looking at older substitutes.

If they were not making a profit on the old price, then I guess this is just the way it has to be, but if not, as a marketing move this stinks.
07-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Seeing as though Canada has already been burned with the April 1st increase, I don't find it likely that we'll get nailed again. If we do, then I'll cross that bridge at that time.

I think the only thing that could really move me from Pentax is Pentax Canada's P*SS-poor service. Why they have a "form" to contact them when they don't respond to it has got to be my biggest pet-peeve with them. I think if I'd have known they were so shut-off from their user base before I dove into Pentax gear several years ago, I'd have gone with Canon or Nikon as both of those companies actually respond to on-line inquiries on the first inquiry as opposed to a follow-up (or TWO).
07-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I had a thousand pound budget to get 3 lenses, I was planning on getting 2 of them second hand and one new. The new one (77mm) has gone up in price, so I'm looking abroad to find cheaper ones.
07-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Man, I thought things had settled down and they seem to only point to getting worse. Glad I got the bulk of my new additions to my lens kit done late last year/early this year...
07-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #27
Site Supporter

I'm well aware that the prices have risen in every market including Canada. The USA prices have gone up a little as well.

My take on the Adorama situation is these retailers have been told of a coming price increase and either the date wasn't fixed (doubt that) for the new prices or Adorama jumped the gun assuming the others would do the same and hoped to do some profit taking on existing stock at the old wholesale costs (likely). The reps from all these shops watch the forums (we've seen their posts) and they quickly reversed direction when B&H and others stayed at the current prices (which are up 10-15% from a couple of months ago).

So that little price hike is a warning that in a month or so we'll see that and similar, across- the - board lens increases that Canada, Europe and everywhere else already has seen.
To Pentax, hike the prices baby, and see what it gets you. Pentax has no ~200mm macro in their line up. The beef I have with Pentax if the jack prices is the fact that they have moved their manufacturing facilities to the Philippines and Vietnam. Does that mean they will be paying those exploited workers better than present?
07-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Prices are going up everywhere, and it sure is annoying...
On the other hand I have my lens needs covered for the foreseeable future. At least the more expensive ones. During the next couple of years I will probably be buying one more lens at the most. Therefore it is not such a big deal after all.

Actually I have already made up my mind. Waiting anxiously for my K-7 to arrive...
07-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Market of course will sort this out - but on our end I think we should actively create a negative impression on all fronts to hurt their sales as much (and not matter how small our impact will be) as possible ... let us start with bringing RH back
07-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the poll Peter. I had already decided to put off the purchase of the K-7. Body prices only drop. I'll pick it up for the same price I paid for my ist DS, K10D, and K20D, ie around $700 in a year's time or so. That being said, if I had been in the market for the K-7 this lens price hike would have made me wait. There are a few lenses I still want to get, FA 31, DA* 60-250, DA* 55. Maybe a few others. With the prices as they are now, to use a Brooklyn expression "fahgheddaboudit"
The other thing I'm watching is the price of second hand lenses. If they raise high enough, I may sell my pentax gear and jump to Nikon.

NaCl(to say I'm not happy is an understatement)H2O