Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote

Looking at your pictures,I wonder what made the AF screw drive stick out the way it did?.
Clad you got it dismounted.

Cheers. Mike.

Why wouldn't the screw drive normally stick out? Is it only supposed to when its engaged? Never noticed its normal state.

Lesson I learned is to make mounting the Rok with its 6" metal hood a 2 step process. That way I will pay more attention to what I am doing and will feel any resistance that I missed when doing it with two hands full of lens. I do not recommend the 10 hrs of aggravation it took to remove it once turned the wrong way.

07-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure what makes it engage, it definitely is recessed with the lens dismounted.

Cheers. Mike.
07-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
Banned

Why wouldn't the screw drive normally stick out? Is it only supposed to when its engaged? Never noticed its normal state.

Cheers. Mike.
unless the camera is set to AF, the screwdrive should be recessed into the body.
07-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"unless the camera is set to AF, the screwdrive should be recessed into the body."

You would think so, specially if the camera is powered down.

Cheers. Mike.

07-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #20
Banned

"unless the camera is set to AF, the screwdrive should be recessed into the body."

You would think so, specially if the camera is powered down.

Cheers. Mike.
no thinking about it. the screwdrive should stay recessed if set to MF. the drive is on a spring. power on or off is irrelevnt because the switch from MF to AF (engaging the drive coupling) is purely mechanical. it operates with or without power. if your drive is out while set to MF then something is defective.
07-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are absolutely correct.
Stupid me, I just checked it and it is operated by the switch( mechanically coupled to it)..

Cheers. Mike.
07-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another Way to Stick a T-Mount

Had a similar occurence. I often don't think much when dismounting lenses --- just push the release, twist until it stops, then lift off. In a hurry to dismount a T-mount lens I turned and it didn't stop, just turned with more friction. I thought the T-Mount may have been loose, so I turned some more and ended up sticking it in exactly the same way as ImTheOne.

After a couple hours no joy, deduced that the problem flange was less than a millimeter too large to slip out, and figured that rotating it back was hopeless. Since the T-mount was aluminum, and the mounting plate on my K200D was steel, I decided to hold my breath and try ITO's brute force technique. Didn't want to use too much leverage, so I just lifted the bottom of the T-mount with my fingers and pried it up. Popped out after I had moved the bottom of the T-mount about an inch above the camera. About a millimeter on one side of one flange on the T-mount was bent and the aluminum scrapped up, but the camera mounting plate was unmarked and firmly seated (whew!).

Didn't measure things, but just eyeballing it the problem T-mount appears no different than my other T-mount. Only apparent difference with the mounting plates on any of my other lenses is that it's aluminum rather than what appears to be steel.

Wouldn't necessarily recommend to others, but I needed the camera and couldn't afford to wait the 5-6 weeks for repair. Needless to say, I'm Mr Careful now when removing or seating any lenses.

09-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hahahahahahahahaha, I'm a muppet!

I just bought my first reverse mount k -> 49mm adapter (a genuine Pentax one from ebay), pootling around with a Pentax 28mm (wow great magnification) and then I can't get it off. OMG, but it's all Pentax stuff, what have I done wrong?? ARGH, panic! I can just imagine posting about it, what a noob!

Then I remember the little black thing you have to press to get lenses off.

Problem solved.

*bonks self with mallet*
09-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can assure you the mallet is much less painful than the 10 straight hours I spent working and agonizing over it when it happened.

Glad to know the pain of anticipation is at least international.