Photos: Gallery
Finally, it seems I have LBA too...

Two months ago, I had

Sigma 17-70
Vivitar series 1 70-210
SMC-A 50 f1,4
Takumar bayonet 135 f2,8
Takumar bayonet 28 f2,8

I found a nice deal on a F-50 f1,7, so I purchased it and sold the A f1,4. So far so good. I also ended up with a Pentax-A 28-80 and a Vivitar A 70-210 (and a P30t body).

Then I found a great deal on a SMC-M 150 f3,5, so I purchased it.

Then I found a good deal on a FA 100-300 so I purchased it.

Yesterday I found a deal on a FA 50 macro so I purchased it...

I refrained from buying the FA 28 f2,8 that came with it, at least.

Now I have three tele zooms, two medium tele primes, two standard zooms, soon two fifties (arguably one macro). The wife is starting to breathe fire...

I can convince myself to sell the Pentax-A 28-80 and the Vivitar A 70-210 easily. I can't decide if I want to sell either the 135 or the 150 (I'll be keeping at least one). I'm having a hard time convincing myself to sell the series 1 even though I got the 100-300 to replace it. Strangely the easiest lens to sell was the A 50 f1,4, although a part of me misses it.

I still look at listings on Craigslist and Kijiji. Maybe I need to stop doing that

07-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Two months ago, I had

Strangely the easiest lens to sell was the A 50 f1,4, although a part of me misses it.

Anytime you decide to vacation in Virginia Beach you can borrow the 50mm back for a few days and even tuck it under your pillow at night. Your bride does not have to know why you wanted to come to THIS beach for vacation.

If you had picked up that 28mm I would have been happy to take it off your hands.

Still can't believe you sold that A 50mm f1.4 for $1.44!

Last edited by imtheguy; 07-02-2009 at 10:14 PM.
07-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Two months ago, I had

Sigma 17-70
Vivitar series 1 70-210
SMC-A 50 f1,4
Takumar bayonet 135 f2,8
Takumar bayonet 28 f2,8

I found a nice deal on a F-50 f1,7, so I purchased it and sold the A f1,4. So far so good. I also ended up with a Pentax-A 28-80 and a Vivitar A 70-210 (and a P30t body).

Now I have three tele zooms, two medium tele primes, two standard zooms, soon two fifties (arguably one macro). The wife is starting to breathe fire...

I can convince myself to sell the Pentax-A 28-80 and the Vivitar A 70-210 easily. I can't decide if I want to sell either the 135 or the 150 (I'll be keeping at least one). I'm having a hard time convincing myself to sell the series 1 even though I got the 100-300 to replace it. Strangely the easiest lens to sell was the A 50 f1,4, although a part of me misses it.

I still look at listings on Craigslist and Kijiji. Maybe I need to stop doing that

You are one sick person!
Who the heck needs all those lenses!
07-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
You are one sick person!
I can think of lots worse illnesses to have.

Bring on that LBA!

07-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Two months ago, I had

Sigma 17-70
Vivitar series 1 70-210
SMC-A 50 f1,4
Takumar bayonet 135 f2,8
Takumar bayonet 28 f2,8

"Hey buddy, wanna see something really cool?"
07-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
...Still can't believe you sold that A 50mm f1.4 for $1.44!
That is some kind of joke I don't get, right. $1.44?! The A 1.4 is a beautiful little lens, in fact it's on my camera right now. Wouldn't know why anyone would sell it. At least not for any smallish amount.

Edit: Congrats on the LBA to the OP.
07-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thomascdk Quote
That is some kind of joke I don't get, right. $1.44?! The A 1.4 is a beautiful little lens, in fact it's on my camera right now. Wouldn't know why anyone would sell it. At least not for any smallish amount.
Its only a joke if someone laughs. Otherwise it was a bad joke.
07-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I gave a fair price for the lens, but it certainly was not 1,44$... I'm not THAT crazy

QuoteQuote:
You are one sick person!
Who the heck needs all those lenses!
Sick? I don't think so.

I don't NEED all those lenses. A nice set of primes (wide, normal, tele) makes sense. a pair of zooms also make sense, if only for convenience. A macro lens makes sense too.

Duplicates don't really make sense, but as I said two of those duplicates were purchased in a package that included the 50 I wanted. for the price I paid, you could consider them free.

The extra lenses will go, of course. But using different lenses makes me work at my photography differently. Focusing manually gives me time to think about the composition, for instance. using a prime makes me work harder.

Saying nobody needs more than a few lenses is like saying a carpenter is all set once he has a hammer...

07-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks so much worse when you cant admit to your illness. The first step in a cure is admitting you are sick. You DO want a cure dont you? Once cured, you can share all those extra lenses with your breathren here on the forum.

Mr. B, I think it would help your case if everyone knew how your acquired many of your lenses, like the 50 f1.4....not full retail from the camera shops thats for sure. Suddenly it looks like smart investing instead of just reckless spending

REMEMBER...YOU started this thread!

07-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I gave a fair price for the lens, but it certainly was not 1,44$... I'm not THAT crazy

Sick? I don't think so.

I don't NEED all those lenses. A nice set of primes (wide, normal, tele) makes sense. a pair of zooms also make sense, if only for convenience. A macro lens makes sense too.

Duplicates don't really make sense, but as I said two of those duplicates were purchased in a package that included the 50 I wanted. for the price I paid, you could consider them free.

The extra lenses will go, of course. But using different lenses makes me work at my photography differently. Focusing manually gives me time to think about the composition, for instance. using a prime makes me work harder.

Saying nobody needs more than a few lenses is like saying a carpenter is all set once he has a hammer...
Great post bdery!

A few "hammers" is all I need at the moment, but nice hammers are a choice that a few Newbs chose to make.

I chose to get a few "good hammers" (as a Newb to digital imaging) and don't regreat it one bit.
I still have a lot to learn but good lenses make the job so much easier.

Ray
07-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

...Saying nobody needs more than a few lenses is like saying a carpenter is all set once he has a hammer...
I own way too many lenses, but lenses aren't the only thing I have too many of. Here are most but not all of my motley collection of chisels:

07-04-2009, 05:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for that chisels shot, Dave. These probably have great stories to tell. for the record, once renovating a cabin with my father, I would a chisel that someone had fortoggen inside the wall some 50 years ago. It was simply there waiting for me...

QuoteQuote:
Mr. B, I think it would help your case if everyone knew how your acquired many of your lenses, like the 50 f1.4....not full retail from the camera shops thats for sure. Suddenly it looks like smart investing instead of just reckless spending

REMEMBER...YOU started this thread!
Yeah. So far my LBA has cost me about 50$, net. The 50 f1,4 was purchased at a flea market, for a ludicrously slow amount of money (I never bargained, just asked for the price and paid it as fast as I could...) The package including the F 50 f1,7 that I wanted was at a price that I would have paid for just the 50... The 150 mm was 30$ canadians. So when I do sell a lens, I can easily sell it a little below market value, making someone happy and funding future purchases

I am not complaining about expenses, far from it. I just realized two days ago that I really was part of the LBA club.