Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 11:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tetrode Quote
What is the difference between the Rikenon 50mm f/2 and the Rikenon XR 50mm f/2?

Are the XR series better in some way?
Someone would have to resurrect this thread

This much I think is correct:
  • The XR series preceded the the non-XR lenses by several years
  • There were both 50/1.7 and 50/2 non-XR versions
  • The non-XR lenses were standard on the lower end bodies
  • Both XR and non-XR lenses used several different body castings
  • The early XR lenses were all metal, while the XR S, XR L, and non-XR series were plastic (my best recollection)
  • The XR 50/1.7 and XR 50/2 shared the same optical formula of 6 elements in 5 groups with multi-coating on the 1.7 only (at least for the early versions)
  • I believe that there was a change in the optical formula for the XR 50/2 L
  • The non-XR lenses were not multi-coated
  • I was not able to find the optical formula for the non-XR lenses
  • The Rikenon-P series was apparently derived from the XR lenses
The advice I give regarding these lenses is to give them a try to see if you like them, but to not pay a premium price.

I have two copies of the XR 50/2. Both have very nice metal construction and both are very sharp, optically. Both also suffer from somewhat "busy" bokeh at some apertures. See this thread for recent photos taken with my lens.

Steve

01-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Rikenon 50/2

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Someone would have to resurrect this thread

[*]The Rikenon-P series was apparently derived from the XR lenses

Steve
I did indeed reply to an old thread, there seems to be limited information about the specific details of these lenses online.

I've been looking at a Rikenon P 50/2, and others in the P series, and was just curious if the optical qualities and performance were equal to that of the XR series. I don't mind if the P series are plastic, or can possibly become jammed on AF SLRs, just wanted to know if the performance of the beloved Rikenon XR 50/2 is similar enough to the Rikenon P 50/2. Thanks!
01-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #18
Site Supporter

I did indeed reply to an old thread, there seems to be limited information about the specific details of these lenses online.

I've been looking at a Rikenon P 50/2, and others in the P series, and was just curious if the optical qualities and performance were equal to that of the XR series. I don't mind if the P series are plastic, or can possibly become jammed on AF SLRs, just wanted to know if the performance of the beloved Rikenon XR 50/2 is similar enough to the Rikenon P 50/2. Thanks!
Yes, the information is very limited. I would expect that the Rikenon-P 50/2 would be essentially similar to the XR Rikenon 50/2. Your question did not mention the Rikenon-P, so I assumed you were asking about the non-XR Rikenon 50/2.

Steve
01-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Yeah, I was just trying to throw 2 stones at one bird, haha. I've read of 4 variations of this lens, and couldn't distinguish the variances in optical performance. Which, is I why I phrased the question, what are the differences in the non XR lenses, to cover all bases. Thanks for your help and information stevebrot, sorry for digging up buried threads!

01-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Yeah, I was just trying to throw 2 stones at one bird, haha. I've read of 4 variations of this lens, and couldn't distinguish the variances in optical performance. Which, is I why I phrased the question, what are the differences in the non XR lenses, to cover all bases. Thanks for your help and information stevebrot, sorry for digging up buried threads!
Oh...please forgive me! Welcome to the forum! I just noticed your post count!

There is no problem with digging up old threads. You have are in good company in being confused by Ricoh lens labeling. There is little information on the Web and Ricoh documentation from the time is also very vague. Take the XR Rikenon 50 S lenses. Those were sold with the XR-S while the amost identical XR7 had the regular XR lens. Are they different? Who knows.

Steve
02-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #21

How about their Sears 50mm lenses? Where do they fit in?
02-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brianmquinn Quote
How about their Sears 50mm lenses? Where do they fit in?
It depends on the Sears lens. The M42 lenses were rebranded Rikenon with the exception of those branded as Sears/Sekor which were made by Mamiya/Sekor. Through the early 70s and early 80s, I think they were still generally Rikenon. The key is whether the body the lens would have been sold with appears to be the same as a Ricoh of the same vintage.

Steve
03-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #23

Ricoh K mount XR lenses

I have an XR-2 with the 50mm XR Rikenon f2 lens. According to my Ricoh manual, the camera was available with three lenses. One was the 50mm f2, 5 groups, 6 elements. The others were: 50mm XR Rikenon f1.7 (multi-coated), 5 groups, 6 elements, and 50mm XR Rikenon f1.4 (multi-coated), 6 groups, 7 elements. I purchased this camera from B&H in NYC in person in February 2010. It has given good performance. I am looking to upgrade to the f1.4 lens. According to the manual "…the camera is designed to accept any lens with the "K" type bayonet mount. One of my photography instructors recommends only original manufacturer lenses for a camera of this date (circa 1980), since the aftermarket lenses of that era were of shoddy quality. I feel any Pentax or Ricoh lens would be acceptable, but must shy away from aftermarket lenses. There are not many to be found on the market today. I understand that KEH is a very reliable source of price and quality information.

03-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeorgeRicoh Quote
I have an XR-2 with the 50mm XR Rikenon f2 lens. According to my Ricoh manual, the camera was available with three lenses. One was the 50mm f2, 5 groups, 6 elements. The others were: 50mm XR Rikenon f1.7 (multi-coated), 5 groups, 6 elements, and 50mm XR Rikenon f1.4 (multi-coated), 6 groups, 7 elements. I purchased this camera from B&H in NYC in person in February 2010. It has given good performance. I am looking to upgrade to the f1.4 lens. According to the manual "…the camera is designed to accept any lens with the "K" type bayonet mount. One of my photography instructors recommends only original manufacturer lenses for a camera of this date (circa 1980), since the aftermarket lenses of that era were of shoddy quality. I feel any Pentax or Ricoh lens would be acceptable, but must shy away from aftermarket lenses. There are not many to be found on the market today. I understand that KEH is a very reliable source of price and quality information.
Hi, welcome to the forum! Your XR-2 is a fine camera and the XR Rikenon 50/2 is a fine lens. It is very sharp with its main failings being harsh bokeh and single-coated optics. Your camera is compatible with any K-mount lens having an aperture ring including currently available Pentax-FA auto-focus lenses. As an upgrade to your XR Rikenon 50/2, I would suggest the Pentax-M 50/1.7. It is not much faster, but is lighter, has better build, has better coatings, and is better optically. If you must have an f/1.4 lens, be prepared for a fair amount of softness at apertures wider than f/2.8, regardless of brand. Here again, the Pentax-M 50/1.4 might be the best value over the XR Rikenon 50/1.4 unless the Rikenon was dirt cheap.

Steve
03-15-2010, 12:54 AM   #25

Interesting! I came across some Ricoh 50mm's recently while rummaging through old camera gear I had in storage, a couple of f2.0's and a f1.4. I probably should've grabbed them to compare with the Pentax equivalents.
08-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Shot with the Rikenon 50mm F2 @F2
08-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is what I think I know about the K-mount Rikenon 50/2 lenses:
  • XR Rikenon S...I have heard about this one, but have never actually seen it nor know anything about it
  • XR Rikenon L...This is the "light" version. Think plastic construction. I don't know anything about the optics
  • Rikenon...This is not an XR lens and is similar to the XR Rikenon L, if I remember correctly. There is an entry in the Third-party Lens Database for this lens, but I am not convinced that the photo is of the non-XR Rikenon.
  • Rikenon P...Optically similar to the XR Rikenon, but with the infamous Ricoh pin.
  • XR Rikenon...This is the version in this site's Third-party Lens Database (PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 50mm f/2.0)
As for the sharpest 50mm lens claim. I vaguely remember the original review back in the day and have encountered references since that time as well. A recent Google search turned up nothing reputable and of substance. Anecdotal evidence from my personal experience indicates that both of my XR Rikenon 50/2 lenses are pretty sharp. I did a quick test several months ago with all of my 50s and the Rikenon clearly beat out every 50/55mm lens in my signature. I did not post the results because I wanted to do a more complete test under more controlled conditions.

Here is a sample shot wide open:

Steve
Steve,
I have a Rikenon XR of the "S" type.
I have none other to compare it with but from what I have seen on a very few test shots, it is quite sharp.
However, it has been stored in the camera bag for quite a while and, frankly, haven't used it much at all. I bought during an LBA attack!

JP
08-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm a fan of the Rikenon 50s, I have to say: they're very sharp and dirt cheap, so why hasn't everyone got one?!

As for the variants, I don't think there's too much to choose between them optically - but they do differ in size and weight:

XR-Rikenon is biggest and heaviest.

Next is (plain) Rikenon.

Followed by the dinky Rikenon-P (NB: pin MUST be removed before fitting to an autofocus Pentax!). "P" could stand for "plastic" or "pin", but probably stands for "Program".

I've just acquired the less common XR f1.7, but have yet to test it out.
08-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Good to see this thread revived with more comments and pictures!

@bbluesman...great wide-open shot showing the "interesting" bokeh in all its glory!

Steve
08-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Hi. I had an XR Rikenon and used it a lot ca. 1980/81. A lot of shots I did with it published. (I was working for a small newspaper publisher at the time, and competing for space with other photogs.)

It was very sharp. However, when I got my first M 1.4 the Rikenon went on the shelf and mainly stayed there excepting particularly nasty conditions where I didn't want to risk the Pentax.

Why did I park the Rikenon? Not sharpness, or even speed. The Pentax was plenty sharp but it won because of flare control and colour rendition. Those were the things that really made Pentax lenses stand out for me.

The Rikenon was very good in that regard relative to other non-Pentax lenses, but it wasn't a Pentax.

One thing I find odd about discussions of MF lenses in the forums is the lack of recognition of the role Super Multi Coating in making Pentax lenses unique in their time. It doesn't really matter, except that I cringe a bit when some third-party MF lenses are discussed as equivalents to Pentax. Flare control is a very important part of image quality, and a lot of them just aren't in the same league as Pentax.

Of course, the XR Rikenon is a very good lens, and a real bargain at current prices. I would certainly recommed it to anyone on a really tight budget, or as a starter lens for someone wanting to try MF without a big financial commitment.