Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which 18-250?

I'm intent on buying a "walkabout" lens to cover all options. I know its a compromise but I am happy to make it at the moment, I have been getting irritated with myself because I can never make a decision about what I really want to be shooting and so find myself changing lenses at the drop of a hat. Its getting tiresome. So, until I work out what I am doing, I am intent on buying one of the 18-250s

My question though, is which one? Tamron, or Pentax?

In Australia, the answer is simple, when $$ are taken into account... its the Tamron which is about $350 cheaper than the pentax (I'm talking AUD here). If I were to import from the US the question becomes a bit muddier, because its looking like the Pentax is the cheaper of the two options.

Dollars do matter to me, but so does quality...

Is the pentax version simply a "badge engineered" Tamron? Or are there significant differences which might make me make a choice of one over the other, in spite of price differences?

I'd appreciate any and all input (even the ones which try to send me to look at something different, I'm all ears... or eyes, as it happens)

I'm off out now but will check in later in case someone has responded, but there is no urgency at all.

TIA
Sue

07-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Forum Member

For aud 350 you are only giving up a better coating I believe. Get the Tamron with the same optical formula as the Pentax. Also the sigma 18-125 used to be a kit lens in Australia so I'm guessing you could find it cheap and its sharper than the kit lens with a good range.
07-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Is the pentax version simply a "badge engineered" Tamron?
Yes, despite what some people say about SMC on the Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Or are there significant differences which might make me make a choice of one over the other, in spite of price differences?
No, except for maybe the length of the warranty.
07-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, thanks for the input, think I'll order the Tamron and be done with it. I can get an AU warranty which is good if, heavens forbid, anything should go wrong.