Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Promaster vs. Pentax Lenses

When I purchased my K100D Super 1 1/2 years ago, the salesman recommended I start with a couple of Promaster lenses. I have a 18-55, and a 70-300. I can't find much info about Promaster lenses so I'm beginning to think I need to upgrade. Will upgrading make that much of a difference in the quality of pictures?

Don

07-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterBugger Quote
When I purchased my K100D Super 1 1/2 years ago, the salesman recommended I start with a couple of Promaster lenses. I have a 18-55, and a 70-300. I can't find much info about Promaster lenses so I'm beginning to think I need to upgrade. Will upgrading make that much of a difference in the quality of pictures?

Don
Promaster lenses typically are made by Tamron - just compare the look.
07-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It looks like a welcome to the forum is in order Don.

You have done well so far steering away from the incurable LBA (Lens buying addiction). Be aware! Or should I say Beware.

If you like what you get from the lenses you have then I would see no need to upgrade,you have a fair range covered. I have never used a Promaster lens so I can not speak of the quality. But I will say, once you use a Pentax Limited or Star lens you will be hooked. So be careful, unless you have won the lottery or have a lot of self control this can get you in trouble.

But dont worry, you do have some other options though for some real quality glass in the used market. Especially Takumar lenses. You would have to get an adapter though but that is cheap enough. You might start with the Takumar 50mm f1.4. Exceptional quality! Check out this thread. Takumar club
Just one choice amoung many because you own a Pentax. My SMC 55mm f/1.8 is a gem and I only payed $30
There are a number of other threads here designed to cover most anything you might need.
This is a wonderful site with some very talented folks. Don't be afraid to ask question. Enjoy your stay.

Oren

Last edited by OrenMc; 07-04-2009 at 01:18 PM.
07-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I started with the Pentax DA kit lens 18-55mm AL II and 50-200mm and now have bought prime lenses.
I love the prime lenses (all manual focus) but all in different brands and focal lengths.
The first I bought was a 135mm f2.8 and 28mm f2.8.
I'm planning to get the 50mm f1.7 or f2 next time.
Once you have played with these lenses, you would use them more..plus I love the look of old glass on my new K100D super.
I seldom use the kit lens now.
I'm almost off the LBA as soon as I get the 50mm.
That would be my last (I hope) and my prime lens collection will be complete.
These prime lenses just are much sharper than the zoom lenses..and I trust my manual focusing better the camera's AF.
Promaster are Tamron lenses, same as CPC's before where Pentax, although they're lesser make of lenses or they're mass appeal lenses (less cost but almost the same optics, they just don't want it to directly compete with their original brand of lenses).

07-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #5

When I first broke into SLR photography 10 years ago, the camera shop owner swapped the kit lens on my ZX-10 with a Promaster 28-200. To this day it remains one of my favorite lenses. I also have a Tammy 70-300 as well as a Pentax 55-300, and both lenses take comperable pictures, IMO.

As noted, Promaster lenses are actually rebadged Tamron models, but so are some Pentax lenses (as noted elsewhere in this forum), so you really can't judge a book by its cover. Do your Promaster lenses take good pictures? If they do, keep 'em!
07-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Don
Hi Don, welcome...

I have the same 70-300 on my K100D, and it has never given me reason to trade it off... For the price, it is a great lens. Sure you can pay a lot more and get sharper images (especially if you invest in primes), but the key factor is whether or not you are satisfied with the photos you get out of the glass you're using. There's always going to be something better on the market - it's just a question of cost vs how much you "need" it.

Jim
07-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for replies

Yes, the glass seems to do well. It appears that at full zoom, I don't get the sharpest of pictures, but then there's probably more I can do to achieve that. After this discussion, I'm not preoccupied about the brand, but rather I think about what my NEXT lens will be, such as a 50mm prime or something to that affect.

Don
07-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It appears that at full zoom, I don't get the sharpest of pictures
That's quite normal for zooms. With the odd exception, they usually perform better a little short from either end. Make sure you stop down the lens to get the optimal sharpness.

07-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Promaster lenses typically are made by Tamron - just compare the look.
Sometimes they're Sigmas, but more frequently Tamrons.

So the OP's 70-300 is most likely a Tamron 70-300. Not sure if it's one of the Di IIs though.

The DiII 70-300 is a very well liked lens here. It's not the best (55-300 from Pentax has a slight edge in sharpness and major improvements in CA, the Tamron's achilles heel is purple fringing in certain situations), but at $150 it's an incredible deal.
07-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Sometimes they're Sigmas, but more frequently Tamrons.
I will be curious to see a Promaster branded Sigma ? do you have a particular lens in mind ?
07-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a Promaster 28-105mm, which is optically identical to both the Tamron AND Pentax variants in the same focal length. It's quite a nice lens and I got it for cheap.
07-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
I will be curious to see a Promaster branded Sigma ? do you have a particular lens in mind ?
I think Quantaray and Promaster were Sigmas in the late 90's and sometime during this decade, they went to being Tamrons.