Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A used 'prime' decesion

I have the chance to to pick up one of the following two primes used. (see description below)

So many here say such good things about the f1.4, I am 90% sure that is the one I will get. The 'specs' (pun intented) don't bother me as long as it does not affect the image. He did have full disclosure so I gotta think all is good. Also I will be meeting him in person for this exchange so I can take a few pics. (not that I have a reference point or anything but I sould be able to see any obvious flaws) - he also offered I could bring a Laptop for a pixel peek - seems pretty much a straight shooter.

As a reference point he is selling the f1.4 for about 60% of what it would cost me new here anyway - plus a filter so I am happy with the price point.

The f1.7 will be about $60.00 cheaper than the f1.4 . Have not heard much about the f1.7 is the f1.4 that much better ? Thoughts ?

Descriptions :

I'm selling 1 of the following 2 jewels: F50mm f1.7 or FA50mm f1.4.* Both are autofocus. Whichever one sells, I'm keeping the other. Both come with front & rear caps + filters. The FA50 comes with box.

Disclosure: There are some specks inside the optics of the FA50/1.4. It was this way when I bought it. It's not fungus or haze. The salesman at Saneal Camera said it was the SMC coating (yeah, right) but he said his 67 lens had the same thing & it wasn't a problem. I took it to an authorized Pentax repair shop in Calgary. The guy looked at it and said I shouldn't worry about it. He told me to just use it normally and it wouldn't be a problem (he was correct). I asked him if I should get it cleaned anyway and he said no, don't bother.

Other than the foregoing the glass and body of both lenses are clean & unmarked/like new.

05-02-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I have the chance to to pick up one of the following two primes used. (see description below)

So many here say such good things about the f1.4, I am 90% sure that is the one I will get. The 'specs' (pun intented) don't bother me as long as it does not affect the image. He did have full disclosure so I gotta think all is good. Also I will be meeting him in person for this exchange so I can take a few pics. (not that I have a reference point or anything but I sould be able to see any obvious flaws) - he also offered I could bring a Laptop for a pixel peek - seems pretty much a straight shooter.

As a reference point he is selling the f1.4 for about 60% of what it would cost me new here anyway - plus a filter so I am happy with the price point.

The f1.7 will be about $60.00 cheaper than the f1.4 . Have not heard much about the f1.7 is the f1.4 that much better ? Thoughts ?

Descriptions :

I'm selling 1 of the following 2 jewels: F50mm f1.7 or FA50mm f1.4.* Both are autofocus. Whichever one sells, I'm keeping the other. Both come with front & rear caps + filters. The FA50 comes with box.

Disclosure: There are some specks inside the optics of the FA50/1.4. It was this way when I bought it. It's not fungus or haze. The salesman at Saneal Camera said it was the SMC coating (yeah, right) but he said his 67 lens had the same thing & it wasn't a problem. I took it to an authorized Pentax repair shop in Calgary. The guy looked at it and said I shouldn't worry about it. He told me to just use it normally and it wouldn't be a problem (he was correct). I asked him if I should get it cleaned anyway and he said no, don't bother.

Other than the foregoing the glass and body of both lenses are clean & unmarked/like new.
Both are very sharp. The 50/1.7 design is a bit sharper wide open than the 50/1.4 but if you stop down the 50/1.4 to say 1.8 or 2, it sharpens up really quick. Both are solid choices. Pick the one that fits your budget.
05-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #3

I am a little jealous. If I hadn't just spent my current budget (and then some) on a flash and a couple of lenses (including an 'A' 1.4), I'd probably grab one of these. I would agree with Pete. Check out the lenses carefully, and buy the one that fits your budget and makes you happy.
05-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Tough decision. Both are excellent lenses. The extra half stop of the 1.4 might be offset by the "specs". Your decision may come down to a coin flip.

05-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I have an F50/1.7 and it is a great lens, you certainly can't go wrong with it - since buying it, I have no desire to spend more on the 1.4 version. I also have an M50/1.7 as well - equally as good.
05-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice all - He brought both lens and in the 10 minutes I had to test in a dimly lit Tim Horton’s (It is a Canadian Dunkin Donuts eh) - I agree there was no discernable difference I could tell from the f1.7 and f1.4 - Man there autofous is fast ! And the preview on the Camera LCD pictures was sharp!

So I opted to save a few dollars and went with f1.7 - I will try and post a few pics later - been raining here last few days - hard to get outside , bugger.

Thanks for feedback everyone - looking forward to my First Prime !! (And now I need a bigger camera bag aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh it is like painting the Kitchen - new curtains, table, counter top .. hahah)

Silverbullet – he has a bunch of stuff for sale – nice guy – he said he would post that stuff later on – he does not seem in a rush to sell anything - so you may be able to satisfy that LBA locally soon ;-)

Yes a nice flash could be next .... awating Income Tax return ........ (oh and my Tamron to show up .... sheeeeesh another two weeks yet!)
05-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
some quickpics

da boy (no flash inside P mode) fast lens then why my pics are inside and finally the tools I rather be using.

Last edited by daacon; 05-10-2007 at 10:11 AM.
05-05-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter

You're welcome

You're welcome and I know you will like it. That F50/1.7 is a fine lens, especially for flashless or indoor photos. The British have a saying "horses for courses", the right tools for the right job.

To use it indoors or inside churches, just bump up the ISO and turn on the shake reduction. You won't even notice that it isn't a f1.4.

Enjoy!

05-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Good purchase daacon, I have both lenses, and fortunately I have 2 camera bodies so I dont have to struggle with which one to unload. They both perform very well, their abilities in lowlight conditions are awesome. I will admit I use the 1.4 more but I just back it down to 2.0, even 2.8 and it is tack sharp, very on par with the 1.7 when it is wide open and backed down a bit.