Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax 35mm F2.8 PK - any good?

I'm currently considering the old primes available and came across a 35mm F2.8, does anyone know the quality of the lens?

thanks

Simon

07-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I assume you are posting about the Pentax-M or Pentax-A 35/2.8 since there is not a Pentax K version 35/2.8. It appears to be a mediocre lens according to these reviews:
Pentax Lens Review Database - 35mm F2.8
07-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have had several of the -M and -A versions of this lens.
They have an annoying tendency to get a sticky diaphragm.

I replaced them with a Ricoh XR Rikenon 35mm f/2.8 lens.
I think it's better optically, and so far no sticky diaphragm...

Chris
07-05-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys, it is the "A" version. I spotted it in a local store as a used item, it is quite cheap so I guess that makes sense if it's not too good..it was worth thinking about anyway

simon

07-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
Thanks for the feedback guys, it is the "A" version. I spotted it in a local store as a used item, it is quite cheap so I guess that makes sense if it's not too good..it was worth thinking about anyway

simon
For some reason the A version rated excellent. It is exactly the same lens as the M except with the A setting. I don't know which reviews to believe - it is either mediocre or excellent. I guess it says the jury is out on this lens.

I just happened to have one that I have never used (it was part of a camera kit that I bought cheap). I checked the aperture blades on it, and sure enough - they had oil on them and were sticky.

I would very carefully inspect this lens before purchasing it if I were you. It would be even better to set it to the AV setting and go through the entire range of apertures and make sure the exposure stays the same.

Pentax Lens Review Database - 35mm F2.8