Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens reviews

I regard the Lens reviews section as an invaluable guide, it is immensely useful for those of us starting out and looking to buy lenses. However there are quite a few 'Reviews' posted by a: New Users and b: Members that do not post a lot.
I do not judge myself experienced enough to give a review even though I have a few lenses, What do you guys / gals think?

07-05-2009, 04:21 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Users reviews will just be that - any users who have something to say about the lenses they use.
The reviews and average scores don't necessarily reflect the lenses' worth/value/quality, but is a reasonable guide.

If you've tested out and used your lenses, and have something to say about them, you could be a newbie and still post a useful review...
07-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it’s more about how long you have been into photography and using Pentax gear, than a forum member.

I have only been a forum member since 2008, but have been into photography using Pentax gear, since 1975. So some “New” Pentax Forum users may be very experience with some lenses and their reviews are appreciated.

I would encourage you to write a review, it’s also fun!
07-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I think it’s more about how long you have been into photography and using Pentax gear, than a forum member.

I have only been a forum member since 2008, but have been into photography using Pentax gear, since 1975. So some “New” Pentax Forum users may be very experience with some lenses and their reviews are appreciated.

I would encourage you to write a review, it’s also fun!
Point readily accepted. I must admit I have extensively used the reviews when looking at building my collection but find that I am looking out mostly for reviews from members who's photography I respect and admire and whom post regulary in one of the clubs (i.e. Takumar club or K club to name but 2). Still don't think I know enough to give anybody a pointer in how they might spend their hard earned cash

07-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Still don't think I know enough to give anybody a pointer in how they might spend their hard earned cash
Me too. For many lenses, I can post an all-purpose review: "I bought it because it seemed like a good idea. I determined that it works as intended. I haven't taken any real photos with it. I have X other lenses in the same category. I plan to test them all someday, pick a winner, sell the losers and move on."

If I were looking for a lens review, I don't think I would learn anything from that one.
07-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use the lens reviews in conjunction with samples. There is a wealth of info on this site. This forum in particular has literally thousands of pictures with various lenses. Check the various "club" threads, etc to get a good idea of what can be produced from a particular lens and also go to the review site. Between the reviewers remarks and what you can see, you should be able to get a pretty good idea if this lens is for you or not. An example in point; I checked out the price of the FA 31mm ltd. "Whoa! too high! No lens is worth that!" Then I started seeing a whole bunch of shots taken with it, especially on the "FA limited club" forum" and read the reviews in the lens section. Now given that information I'm willing to save up for it.
Generally speaking I have been steered to many excellent lens choices by the collective wisdom of members here. And glad I am to have heeded their wisdom.

NaCl(the knowledge you want is here, but you have to look for it)H2O
07-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stans Pentax K-Mount is also a good site for lens reviews:

Brief Comments

07-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Kai

I found a few reviews/posts that rate the particular lens with "0" and comment about to review it further when recieving it. That did not help at all and decrease the over all score! Other than that I think the review is great and invaluable to have. - Kai
07-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Ash on this one, any user's experience should be welcome as a contribution. Also, like robbiec I am always looking for longtime member's reviews cause I would think they have more experience.

Here's my take on how to make the lens database even better:

Please make sure that your lens is the same as the one in the review. If you are not sure, please include pictures of your personal lens incl. fully readible front engravings and a photo of the back mount.

Please don't go away from the least common denominator of all other reviews here as well as on the internet, that is to say:
Please do the scoring exclusively on optical performance. The bang-for-the-buck is no scoring category.

Please include your self-estimate of your photographic experience in your review. (an easy option would be: "years of photog. experience:")

Please tell how long you have been using the tested lens til today.

Please include the set of similar lenses compared to the reviewed lens that you have used: (please include comparisons in your text whenever feasible)

Please include the type of camera you have been using the reviewed lens on: APS-C DSLR, Film SLR, Full Frame DSLR.

Those last 4 statements could be added to the head of the reviews as well as the head of the review form as questions.

Here's a good example imo for a lens review database where everybody's contributions are welcome and put into the right perspective:
Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.7 reviews

Looking forward to an even better lens database,
Georg (the other)
07-06-2009, 04:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
I'm with Ash on this one, any user's experience should be welcome as a contribution. Also, like robbiec I am always looking for longtime member's reviews cause I would think they have more experience.

Here's my take on how to make the lens database even better:

Please make sure that your lens is the same as the one in the review. If you are not sure, please include pictures of your personal lens incl. fully readible front engravings and a photo of the back mount.
up to this point i agree, but I can't accept much of the following
QuoteQuote:
Please don't go away from the least common denominator of all other reviews here as well as on the internet, that is to say:
Please do the scoring exclusively on optical performance. The bang-for-the-buck is no scoring category.
no but you ned to mention it. in the end the $10 lens which performs optically to 99% of the $1000 lens needs to get a ton of credit
QuoteQuote:

Please include your self-estimate of your photographic experience in your review. (an easy option would be: "years of photog. experience:")

Please tell how long you have been using the tested lens til today.

Please include the set of similar lenses compared to the reviewed lens that you have used: (please include comparisons in your text whenever feasible)

Please include the type of camera you have been using the reviewed lens on: APS-C DSLR, Film SLR, Full Frame DSLR.

while I agree the review needs to be based upon camera type, putting your self apprasial I think goes too far, as does your length of time shooting. Many novices point out things that more serious people overlook, and also state things from their perspective which is helpful
QuoteQuote:
Those last 4 statements could be added to the head of the reviews as well as the head of the review form as questions.

Here's a good example imo for a lens review database where everybody's contributions are welcome and put into the right perspective:
Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.7 reviews

Looking forward to an even better lens database,
Georg (the other)
As for your example, I find it really disappointing.

it compares a ton of 20-24mm lenses with a 50mm.

Additionally it really says nothing about the lens, metering accuracy, focusing (in manual) etc.

Additionally to have someone proclaim themselves as an expert is a little arrogant.

I have done several reviews, and when I do them, I describe how the lens functions, both in manual and if applicable automatic modes, I highlight how metering behaves when used on the bodies I have, and any "feel" items, such as backlash in focusing and zoom mechanisms, rotation of focusing collar from minimum to infinity etc.

to simply state it is a good perfromer does not cut it
07-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Lowell,
maybe I was leaning too far out of the window. I appreciate your criticism and I really hope there will be a base of proposals left at the end of the day.

QuoteQuote:
Lowell said: ...no but you need to mention it. in the end the $10 lens which performs optically to 99% of the $1000 lens needs to get a ton of credit
I only wanted to hint at the score-number here, cause that's what everybody looks at in the first place and it's listed in the overview also. Any mentioning in the text of what was important to the reviewer (including the price) is valuable knowledge. The buying price is in the head of the personal review also.

QuoteQuote:
Lowell said: ...while I agree the review needs to be based upon camera type, putting your self apprasial I think goes too far, as does your length of time shooting. Many novices point out things that more serious people overlook, and also state things from their perspective which is helpful
Agreed, I'll withdraw those demands.

QuoteQuote:
Lowell said: As for your example, I find it really disappointing. It compares a ton of 20-24mm lenses with a 50mm.
This is valuable information to me. Better be disappointed than not knowing the basis of comparison at all.

QuoteQuote:
Lowell said: I have done several reviews, and when I do them, I describe how the lens functions, both in manual and if applicable automatic modes, I highlight how metering behaves when used on the bodies I have, and any "feel" items, such as backlash in focusing and zoom mechanisms, rotation of focusing collar from minimum to infinity etc.
I have seen your reviews and appreciate them.

Shortcut:
Hard demands: I would like to stick with a better/narrower qualification of the score/ranking number.
Soft demands: I would still love to see some comparison lenses included, if the reviewer had been using them.
In the review text any topic is up to the reviewer's likings and personal preferences.

Still thinking about a 'hints and tips for reviewing' though :-)
Best, Georg (the other)
07-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I seem to have opened a can of worms with this one. Interesting debate going on. I am coming around to the any point-of-view is a useful point of view but with a following restriction... an opt in or out to the various rankings depending on your experience or confidence.
07-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have done several reviews, and when I do them, I describe how the lens functions, both in manual and if applicable automatic modes, I highlight how metering behaves when used on the bodies I have, and any "feel" items, such as backlash in focusing and zoom mechanisms, rotation of focusing collar from minimum to infinity etc.

to simply state it is a good perfromer does not cut it
I think that including the exposure metering behavior on the newer digital bodies would be really helpful. A few days ago I tried to start a thread to do this, but got no bites. Perhaps a line in the review would be the best place for it.
07-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Forum Member

I would like to point out that post count and join date have little to do with actually photography knowledge (though they may in my case) and ability to accurately assess lens quality. Although, I have to admit that I tend to put a little more weight on reviews done by veteren members on this forum. But the reviews posted by low (or even non-existant) post count members cannot be overlooked.
07-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I think that including the exposure metering behavior on the newer digital bodies would be really helpful. A few days ago I tried to start a thread to do this, but got no bites. Perhaps a line in the review would be the best place for it.
somehow I missed that. I have offered to help establish this several times by post a standard for tests. after all no one will have all the different lenses or bodies, but if we extablish the "rules" so to speak, of an exposure test, then we can use this test to "normalize the entire thing.

As far as a test goes, here is what I do.

Select a uniform grey to white surface. My favourites are paved roads, block walls and side walks.

Set exposure to neutral, by this I mean contrast brightness etc all to neutral, and using JPEGs.

Use an ISO that allows you to cover the full range of exposure and then take a shot at each aperture indent (and / or dial position for A lenses)

Using a photo editor, measure the grey scale reading in the central 10% of the frame.

Plot grey scale (linear) vs aperture (log) in a spread sheet.

I have one all set up for this.

I find in neutral contrast one stop is about 45 greyscale (50 with high contrast, 40 with low contrast)

The method works and is repeatable.