Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi ranters - an Aussie welcome to ya, mate.

Now, I also have DA* lenses and don't share your opinion with regards to their optical quality. I personally wouldn't go back to the non * variety because of the brilliant results I know I can get with them. Though your critique of these lenses is unsubstantiated and even unclear. Along with posting some photo examples, it would be helpful to know your particular AF concerns with the pentax lenses.

Steve's asked the specific questions to address your focusing problems, so answering these would certainly help.

07-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ranters Quote
has anyone know why the da* lenses dont focus properly
I have found that cheap sigma lenses out perform the most expensive pentax lenses. I keep getting out of focus shots which never happened with sigma lenses
Did you do your focus tests under tungsten light? DSLRs--other than, say, k7--front focus under tungsten light. My guess is that your cheap sigmas are too slow and consequently have a depth of field that's too deep to notice focusing problems. Try your lenses under white fluorescent or outdoors.
07-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sniff....sniff.....sniff..... Does anybody else smell something funny under this bridge?
I got a bit of that same whiff.
07-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
yep thanks for confidence in me.
I am serious. I take pics for local paper I am the photojournalist. As i said yea i did pay out big bucks for 2 Da* lens. No its not me. I do know what I am doing. The problem seems to be that on auto focus i get more out of focus shots than i do with my other lenses. I run 2 K2oo 1 K100 super and 2 older isd cameras. As I have previously said i do take hundreds of pics every week. the lenses take great shots of distance objects but not of closer ones. My experience tells me that the lenses do not perform otherwise i would not be here. To many people rely on my pics and i have lost confidence in these 2 lens which i though were top of the range.
I posted 2 pics in the nature part of the forum. you might be able to see the problem.

07-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #20

Original Poster
yes thanks mate. i am in central victoria and take pics for local paper and take pics of soccer for every club in central victoria. And there is something wrong in the way these lenses work. My pics get viewed by 9000 people in my local district plus my pics are circulated in 21000 homes across central victoria every week.
07-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #21

Original Poster
yes u have a point there the depth of field is the problem i think. Thats why the cheaper lenses seemed to work and when i changed over the results were different. But when i take action shots i still seem to get more out of focus shots than i did before
07-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Perhaps you might want to use AV mode and see what you get. Set the aperture to what you think will work for the light conditions so you don't end up with such a shallow DOF.
Just a suggestion on my part.
Bit nippy inland at the moment?

07-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Gday mate... I have found over the time that more complaints seem to come in regarding the DA* lenses for owners with cameras other than the K20. (apart from the initial DA* 16-50 problems)

This maybe me and what I have observed.

Can you beg borrow or whatever a K20 to test your lenses?

I have both the DA* 16-50 and the 50-135 and have no problems... both stellar lenses

Cheers mate... agree it would be nippy inland, was at Kerang last week, freezing cold mornings.

Neil
07-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #24

Original Poster
yea its a beaut frost here this morning just been for a walk
i have both those lenses
dont know anyone with a k20
i have stuck with k200 as they work great for action shots but i would have expected less out of focus shots with sdm lens than ordinary but this is not the case. its the close up shots that r the problem. i have posted 2 shots on the nature part of the forum that might help
07-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #25

Original Poster
if you like i can post a pdf file of 2day newspaper circulation 21,000 front page pic and story

yes i am a professional in my own right and i am posting on here because i am stuck.

having held numerous public exhibitions of my work with peopl saying how good the pics r when take with a cheap sigma lens i went out to get a better lens but found that this was not the case.

there r genuine people out there and i am one of them and u need to understand the frustration when u pay out for top quality lenses and they dont seem to work.
07-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are getting some good advice despite the silly title to your original thread.

It might help if you told us what the lenses are ,and posted some photos to this thread. You need to establish if it is your technique or you have a faulty lens (it does happen).

My experience with the DA* lenses is that they are great lenses, including the 16-50.
07-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #27
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ranters,

There's only one sample pic in the gallery (sample 2) and all I can see is that the kangaroo (if that's what you focused on) is not in focus but the background is. The image really isn't a good example of the performance of this lens.

Is this what you're getting at? If so, are you certain AF locked onto the kangaroo (while it was stationary) immediately before you released the shutter? There may be a backfocusing issue with the lens, rather than it being a 'rubbish' lens. This is easily fixed on the K20D, though I know you don't have one.

Really, instead of labelling DA* lenses as rubbish, perhaps address the simple problems that affect results and you may find you've been given the wrong impression. Most other users here would certainly vouch for the very lens you're doubting...
07-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #28
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You are getting some good advice despite the silly title to your original thread.

It might help if you told us what the lenses are ,and posted some photos to this thread. You need to establish if it is your technique or you have a faulty lens (it does happen).

My experience with the DA* lenses is that they are great lenses, including the 16-50.
Ranters, it helps if you use the 'Quote' button so we can see who you are replying to.
For multiple replies, you can use the 'Multiquote' button.
If you're not sure how to do that, PM me and I'll run through it for you.
07-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #29

Original Poster
yes thats the problem i am refering to. i did lock onto kangaroo. As i have said i have taken 1000s of pics . What i will do is swap lens onto another body to see if i get different results. Then i could isolate if it it is lens or camera
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
ranters,

There's only one sample pic in the gallery (sample 2) and all I can see is that the kangaroo (if that's what you focused on) is not in focus but the background is. The image really isn't a good example of the performance of this lens.

Is this what you're getting at? If so, are you certain AF locked onto the kangaroo (while it was stationary) immediately before you released the shutter? There may be a backfocusing issue with the lens, rather than it being a 'rubbish' lens. This is easily fixed on the K20D, though I know you don't have one.

Really, instead of labelling DA* lenses as rubbish, perhaps address the simple problems that affect results and you may find you've been given the wrong impression. Most other users here would certainly vouch for the very lens you're doubting...
07-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi ranters,
could you post the photo(s) again please with the exif intact? There are too many fine examples around of shots taken with these lenses to assume anything other than you have a problem, the exif data will help to answer a few questions and eliminate others.
Suggest you post them as an attachment in this thread.

Many thanks.