Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
da* lens rubbish

has anyone know why the da* lenses dont focus properly
I have found that cheap sigma lenses out perform the most expensive pentax lenses. I keep getting out of focus shots which never happened with sigma lenses

07-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Simple solution, stick with what works for you (or with what you know how to operate correctly).

Jason
07-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
yea thanks

i take hundreds of pics every week i am a photo journalist and run 5 pentax cameras with lenses attached to them all these lenses dont come up to the mark and they should. its got me beat. so was just wondering why that was.
07-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It would help if we could see some pictures with EXIF. Maybe your camera/lens combo has a front or back focus problem. It can be solved on the K20D or K200D with focus adjustment. Or you might have a defective lens. If that is the case, and you didn't wait for the warranty to expire, you could have the lens fixed or exchanged. My DA* lenses are stellar performers.

07-06-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

How do you perform a focus adjustment with k200d?
07-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
yes how do you do that

I have 5 pentax cameras and just bought 2 da* lenses and they r both the same and 3 cameras are brand new. even on static objects the focus seems to vary. Has me beat this one and i take thousands of pics each month
07-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ranters Quote
has anyone know why the da* lenses dont focus properly
I have found that cheap sigma lenses out perform the most expensive pentax lenses. I keep getting out of focus shots which never happened with sigma lenses
My own experience with the DA* lenses (I have two) is that they both required slight micro adjustment to bring them into perfect focus, but out of the box they were acceptable.
I've found over time that most camera problems are user driven, not equipment driven.
I can't speak to your experience with Stigma, since you couldn't pay me enough to put one of their lenses onto my camera.

07-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
How do you perform a focus adjustment with k200d?

You can't.

As to the OP's issue, which DA* lenses are you referring to? My DA* 50-135 has had an instance where it stopped focusing altogether (had to clean the contacts), but other than that, it takes beautiful photos with my K200D. So not sure what the real problem is in your case.
07-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

welcome to the board. I hope you are not here just for the sake of trolling around. since this is you first rant.... I meant post in the forums. not to mention that you made a general statement against the recent Pentax lenses, DA*s in particular. I'm a bit skeptic to what your real intent since you said that cheap Sigma glasses are better in general, which I found untrue. maybe it's your preference but it doesn't make it any better unless they are an EX, HSM and APO type Sigmas which aren't cheap.
07-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two DA* lenses, and have never had any problems with either of them out of the box. Pentax glass (in my humble opinion) is the best out there. I assume (which is always dangerous) that that is why we shoot with Pentax bodies. You may, as others have suggested above, look at how you are shooting. Welcome to this friendly and helpful forum. Specific questions and requests for help almost always get answered by the great people here.
07-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two DA* lenses, as does Ari. They are both sharp. They both work just fine on my K10D. My 50-135 did have some AF failures - not out of focus, just would not focus. Contact cleaning solved the problem. The 16-50 has never given me a problem. Never.
07-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ranters Quote
yes how do you do that

I have 5 pentax cameras and just bought 2 da* lenses and they r both the same and 3 cameras are brand new. even on static objects the focus seems to vary. Has me beat this one and i take thousands of pics each month

Funny, you think Pentax lenses suck, but you're so invested in them to have 5 of their cameras? I'm assuming five of their DSLRs (as DA* lenses can/should only be used with them), and certainly 3 of the brand new ones are DSLRs. 3 brand new Pentax DSLRs??

Which ones, the K7, K20D and K-m??

My conclusion-> troll.
07-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ranters... good name
07-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Sniff....sniff.....sniff..... Does anybody else smell something funny under this bridge?
07-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ranters,

Welcome to the forum.

I can appreciate the inflammatory tone of your post. No one wants to plunk down big bucks for the "best" lenses and not get the results they are expecting. As a result, I am going to take you seriously and assume that you have a real issue that the users here might help to solve. Whether that problem is a result of bad technology or user error is not important. Can you help us help you? This information would be useful:
  • Which lenses are you having problems with?
  • On which cameras (you have five)?
  • AF only or both AF and manual focus?
  • How have you determined that the problem is focus?
  • Have you tested your lenses in a controlled setting (stationary subject, tripod, 2s shutter delay)?
With any luck, we can help you get to the bottom of your problem and help you get your money's worth from your lenses.

Steve