Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Takumar 55mm 1.8 ?

I picked this up on fleabay and was wondering if it looks complete.

Does this side look ok? I've never seen the bottom of a 55mm.

The complete package.

Came with a Hoya filter

07-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you're missing the camera!

It looks complete with everything that's supposed to be there, and looks to be a good sample too.

Note the little pin in the mount at 5pm on your photo- if you get 'stuck' in Auto mode with the lens unmounted, push that in and it frees the a/m switch. It is the sensor for the open-aperture metering Spotmatics (SP-F, ES) and is designed to lock the a/m on Auto. Some people, me included, have at one time or another thought their lens defective due to this little feature.
07-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

looks very fine to me indeed..with original caps and a case..
the 55/1.8 is one of the very sharpest lenses out there, have fun!
07-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I was wondering why the switch didn't move, that is why I thought something was missing underneath.

07-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Thanks guys, I was wondering why the switch didn't move, that is why I thought something was missing underneath.
press the little button seen at the right lower part of your second photo, unlike the other one well seen in your third photo it hardly sticks out, but pressing it should enable you to move the A / M switch.
07-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
looks very fine to me indeed..with original caps and a case..
the 55/1.8 is one of the very sharpest lenses out there, have fun!
that's not an OEM case, nor is the rear cap OEM. not that it really matters. your 55 looks to be all there. enjoy it, because the 55 is a stellar lens. one of pentax's true gems.
07-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Now you have an excuse to get an ES, ESII or Spot F.
07-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that's not an OEM case, nor is the rear cap OEM. not that it really matters. your 55 looks to be all there. enjoy it, because the 55 is a stellar lens. one of pentax's true gems.
that's why I had written a case, but had overlooked that the rear cap was not original

07-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
that's why I had written a case, but had overlooked that the rear cap was not original
I misread that.
07-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Beautiful..... seems to have an "As-New" patina. You were lucky enough to get one with the older, more desirable metal focusing grip. Too many of the normal Multi coated Takumars came with the later rubber focusing ring..... great lens.
07-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Beautiful..... seems to have an "As-New" patina. You were lucky enough to get one with the older, more desirable metal focusing grip. Too many of the normal Multi coated Takumars came with the later rubber focusing ring..... great lens.
whats wrong with the SMC version? or S-M-C with rubber ring? I have an auto, super, s-m-c and an smc and I find the smc to be the leader of the pack. I prefer the auto because I actually like its lack of coating but I just don't quite get why people always seem to down the last generation takumars... build quality is just as good.
07-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The rubber grip comes in handy... in sub-zero weather when you get the urge to lick your lens
07-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
whats wrong with the SMC version? or S-M-C with rubber ring? I have an auto, super, s-m-c and an smc and I find the smc to be the leader of the pack. I prefer the auto because I actually like its lack of coating but I just don't quite get why people always seem to down the last generation takumars... build quality is just as good.
Inside, they appear to be the same, though I haven't compared parts. The screws can be different on older lenses. (I read somewhere that the slotted screws were dropped to comply with an international standard to use phillips-style.) It could be just my personal luck, but I've had several distance scales become unglued only on rubber-grip lenses.
07-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just noticed that the case says Vivitar on the bottom though I no not which lens it was made for. Thanks again guys, now I just need a 85mm 1.8 or 1.9 to complete my little Tak collection.
Super Takumar's 200/f4,135/f3.5,55/f1.8,28/f3.5
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Absolutely true. Just a personal preference for the feel & look of the older metal grips..... nothing more or less.