Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Takumar Fisheye 18/11 Pancake: Any experience with this lens?

Just discovered this one: Pentax Lens Review Database - 18mm F11

It sure as hell looks pretty sexy but the maximum aperture of f/11 makes me wonder if this lens is usable at all under anything but bright daylight? I can't seem to find any pictures taken with it. Any opinions?

I for one would love a pancake fisheye!

07-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it works decently, it would make for an awesome wide angle travel lens on digital. I have the 17mm F4 Fish-Eye (K-mount, same optically as the 17/4 SMCT I think), and it is quick compact as well. The fish-eye distortion is quite minimal on APS-C, and pretty much just looks like bad barrel distortion. It's not a bad effect to have if you don't mind a little distortion. Although the 17/4 Fish-Eye is pretty soft at f/4, but by f/5.6 it is very sharp and useful.

An f/11 aperture would be quite limiting, but that might be part of the appeal of this lens. Something to challenge yourself with. The SR mechanism in the newer Pentax DSLRs will certainly help keep your images sharp if your shutter speed needs to drop. Also, the viewfinder will be pretty dark with an aperture of f/11.

I'd say give it a shot and let us know how it goes!

-Jim
07-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I found a handful of (small) sample images and they all look extremely soft. So f/11 may actually not even be usable, haha! The thing is that I'd get this one as another ultra compact lens for my K-m - and if the only way to get sharp pictures is to stop down to f/16 and beyond so that I may need a tripod in anything but bright daylight then I doubt this lens is for me.

Anyway, I will definitely keep an eye open for an affordable copy because I simply love pancake lenses and this one looks very interesting indeed. The copies currently available on the net are all ridiculously expensive but I will definitely post back when I get one.

That 17mm Takumar also looks cool by the way. Is it available for K-mount, too, or are all Takumar lenses only available for M42?

Edit: Btw, the viewfinder may be dark at f/11 but this lens seems to be a fixed focus!
07-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
That 17mm Takumar also looks cool by the way. Is it available for K-mount, too, or are all Takumar lenses only available for M42?
Takumar lenses that are not M42 are not true takumars but budget lenses pentax released to capitalize on the Takumar name... IINM