Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #91
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Remember, with the Raynox the depth of field is only about a millimeter. Maybe less.

When the Raynox is on the lens you've got to move the camera very slowly in & out about 6" away from the subject regardless of which primary lens you use.

Always. Not just sometimes.

Practice this using your computer screen & you'll see what I mean.

Dave

PS using the Raynox with a zoom lens, put the zoom lens at minimum zoom, focus on the subject, then zoom in - the image will get bigger as you zoom, but you won't have to move the camera. This makes finding the subject easier.

Last edited by newarts; 07-20-2009 at 08:26 AM.
07-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by audiobomber....I don't understand why a lens would not be able to focus with a diopter mounted. Are you setting the focus at infinity? That would give you 1:1.5, a lot more magnification than the lens can manage on its own.
Well, I don't know the answer to that, but I couldn't get a focus with the 135mm set at 1.5x, without the diopter, unless I moved further back from the subject. Which from what you all have been telling me wouldn't work with the diopter because I would have to be as close as 6", right? I guess I could have walked up to after that, but didn't think of that option at that time.

QuoteQuote:
At 300mm you will definitely want to set focus at infinity, otherwise it's very hard to handle. I suggest you try infinity focus and about 200mm. That will give you 1:1 macro, which is enough for most any purpose.
From what Marc said, I need to focus at minimum, not infinity so that's what I was doing.

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Remember, with the Raynox the depth of field is only about a millimeter. Maybe less.

When the Raynox is on the lens you've got to move the camera very slowly in & out about 6" away from the subject regardless of which primary lens you use.
This is what I did. I moved the camera, a few inches, looked through the viewfinder, adjust focus, moved again and again until object was in focus. This is also the same with closeups.

QuoteQuote:
Always. Not just sometimes.

Practice this using your computer screen & you'll see what I mean.

Dave
QuoteQuote:
PS using the Raynox with a zoom lens, put the zoom lens at minimum zoom, focus on the subject, then zoom in - the image will get bigger as you zoom, but you won't have to move the camera. This makes finding the subject easier.
Ok, I'll try that today also. I want to finish this fresh roll so I can see if my shooting worked yesterday.
Now I have to go for a walk. I'm on my 4th day with no cigarettes, and walking keeps my mind off wanting one.
07-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
From what Marc said, I need to focus at minimum, not infinity so that's what I was doing.
But you'll try it my way now, right?

Seriously though, you should only use infinity focus at the long end of the 70-300, because that will give you more than enough magnification. Any more is overkill and very difficult to use. If you're using the Raynox on a shorter lens, you might try close focussing, but even on your 135mm I suggest you use infinity until you've gained some experience.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-20-2009 at 11:17 AM.
07-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #94
Inactive Account

This is what I did. I moved the camera, a few inches, looked through the viewfinder, adjust focus, moved again and again until object was in focus.
The magnification is so high you are best off looking through the viewfinder WHILE you slowly move the camera. The focus ring does very little compared to camera motion.

I'm almost certain that will help fix your problems.

Dave

07-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #95
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is what I did today. I set the camera up with the tripod, set the 70-300 at 300mm. Found a flower, got far enough back I could see the flower steman in focus at 300mm, then put the Raynox on, and moved up til it was close to the flower, and moved back and forth until it was in focus. Then I did it again this time focusing on a rain drop. At one point, I closed the legs on the tripod and used it like a monopod which made it easier to move in and out, and closer. And I believe I got it. We'll see as I shot two rolls of film. I won't get them developed today but probably tomorrow and will scan and post.

Now I'm thinking about getting a monopod.

Oh, and Dan I was doing what Marc said. I did not try your suggestion yet. Maybe tomorrow. Looks like rain outside right now so I probably won't get anymore shots in today. Though I had hoped to get to the river this afternoon, it now looks like I won't be able to do that either. Bummer!
07-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It will focus either way, but the difference will be only an inch or so. That is, you'll achieve focus at maybe 8" away with the lens focus ring on infinity, maybe 7" away with the lens focus ring at minimum. I use this fact to my advantage, depending on if I want a little extra magnification or a little extra working room.
07-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #97
Veteran Member

One thing I found when first using the 250 diopter was that guessing an approxiamate distance from the subject was very hit and miss so to get within a few mm I now move my hand in front of the lens till it is in focus and then I've got the distance I need to get in focus. Don't know if that's going to be of help but it worked for me.
07-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #98
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Marc, I figured it would but since I did it your way and it worked, I figured that was good nuff.

xjjohnno, my arms are not long enough for that. Me standing behind the camera looking through the viewfinder, my arm will not reach to the tip of the lens zoomed at 300mm.

07-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #99
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nothing, I got nothing in focus... I don't know if it's my procedure, or my eyes or what but nothing I shot yesterday using what you guys told me, come into focus. Even though it looked in focus, and the camera indicated it was in focus, after development and scanning, all are blurry.
07-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Hand held or tripod?
Hand held is going to be using seriously slow shutter speeds.
07-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #101
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Always tripod. I would never attempt this without one. I shake too bad for that.
I was focusing on the nearest part of the stamen near the bottom of the photo.

07-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Always tripod. I would never attempt this without one. I shake too bad for that.
I was focusing on the nearest part of the stamen near the bottom of the photo.

Oops, I can't see the photo, just a red X.

What lens were you using with the Raynox? What aperture, shutter speed and film speed?
07-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #103
Inactive Account

Photolady, your photo looks like a high ISO, high magnification shot of a moving subject.

I did a little correction for both side-side and in-out blur using Focus Magic on a clip - here's the result (deblurred on the left):

I could get one of the stamen hairs into reasonable focus & there are clear signs of other motion blur.

Was this a long exposure, high ISO, 300mm+Raynox photo outside where the subject might have moved in the wind a little bit?

Dave
07-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #104
Site Supporter

Original Poster
First, yes this was outside. Second yes, it could have been a bit windy. Third. I was using the 300mm with the Raynox. ISO was 400 only thing I had in the camera at the time was Fuji Superia 400. fstop was probably 5.6 or f8, not entirely sure on that.

Dave, it wasn't that blurry until I saved it as jpeg. The hairs were in better focus.
07-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #105
Inactive Account

First, yes this was outside. Second yes, it could have been a bit windy. Third. I was using the 300mm with the Raynox. ISO was 400 only thing I had in the camera at the time was Fuji Superia 400. fstop was probably 5.6 or f8, not entirely sure on that.

Dave, it wasn't that blurry until I saved it as jpeg. The hairs were in better focus.
Was what you posted an enlargement or full frame?

I'm thinking you should try at smaller zoom. If you were at maximum magnification at 300mm + the Raynox, I expect the size of the image on the film was about twice real life. Any small motion of the flower would be magnified by a factor of two on the film.

I don't think you need to take many test photos yet; instead focus on your computer's display while you look through the viewfinder; this will give you real good examples of focusing & how it changes with zoom, etc. Without the cost of development time or film.

I put my camera on a tripod, & pull the computer screen up towards the lens until I get focus. then while looking through the viewfinder I can see the effect of changes in position, zoom, focus ring, etc. If you tilt the display at 45 degrees with respect to the camera you can see what the actual depth of field is by counting the number of pixels in focus... each pixel is about .17mm wide most likely (5-6 pixels is 1mm)

I just got a 55-300mm lens & Raynox 150. I'll try what I suggested above & show my results.

I think you are doing ok; this real close stuff is hard to do.

Dave

Here's my quick results. The Zoom lens was at minimum focus. What's shown is a clip of a 100% crop (ie. full enlargement) of photos taken with a K100D, 400ISO, F5.6 (F5.8 at 300mm); remember, these little squares are really hard to see un-aided.

Don't worry about the lack of sharpness in these images, the LCD screen is inherently un-sharp, but it is a real easy subject to use for calibration purposes.

Last edited by newarts; 07-22-2009 at 09:28 AM.