Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
First, yes this was outside. Second yes, it could have been a bit windy. Third. I was using the 300mm with the Raynox. ISO was 400 only thing I had in the camera at the time was Fuji Superia 400. fstop was probably 5.6 or f8, not entirely sure on that.
At f/5.6 or even f/8, DOF is tiny. Looks like a few of the hairs of the lower stem are in focus, but the rest is blurry. If your goal was more than a hair in focus, you'd want f/16 at least.

Of course, not sure what shutter speed you ended up with, but as you stop down, that gets slower. And outdoors, even the slightest wind causes enough motion to disrupt many macro shots. Furthermore, even tripod mounted, at those magnifications, camera shake can be an issue too - do be sure to use mirror lockup and/or remote release and/or a timer function. Also, it looks like the grain of the film isn't doing you any favors, although of course I understand that you'd want reasonably fast film to improve shutter speeds.

Anyhow, again, high magnification photography is not easy. The Raynox 150 at 300mm would be probably something like 2:1 or more, depending on where the focus ring was set. Probably twice the magnification of most "real" macro lenses (ie, twice 1:1, which is to say 10 times the 1:5 of your 135). The complications with that sort of magnification are enormous. If I were you, I'd be practicing at smaller magnification - use the zoom toward the lower end of the range (70, or maybe 100-ish). You'll be in the 1:2 to 1:1 range - still high magnification, but rather less complicated than the extreme magnifications you are dealing with trying to shoot at 2:1. Also, practice in settings where there is definitely no wind.

07-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
First, yes this was outside. Second yes, it could have been a bit windy. Third. I was using the 300mm with the Raynox. ISO was 400 only thing I had in the camera at the time was Fuji Superia 400. fstop was probably 5.6 or f8, not entirely sure on that.
Keep trying, you'll get it. Macros need extremely small apertures for DOF, especially for the powerful magnifications at 300mm.

Here's one I took today Raynox DCR-150 at 55mm, ISO 800, F16, 1/250s, infinity focus.

Here's 300mm with built-in flash, ISO 100, F32, 1/180s, infinity focus, no cropping.
The results would have been better with my big flash and a diffuser.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-25-2009 at 06:56 AM.
07-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #108
Inactive Account

Dan, those are nice photos on their own and great as illustrations for helping Photolady.
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Dan, those are nice photos on their own and great as illustrations for helping Photolady.
Thanks Dave. The M-150 shows some serious magnification at 300mm. I was surprised at how much DOF it had at 55mm and f16.

How are you finding your combo (55-300 and Raynox 150)?

07-25-2009, 06:54 AM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I've decided to wait for my new glasses before proceeding with photography, especially Macro since it has to be focused manually. My eyes do not see clearly while attemtping manual focus.
08-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thought I'd share this one photo I took using the DCR-150 last week. Don't know what you all think of this but as always, critique welcome.

08-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Not bad at all! Do you remember the exposure settings and film ISO?
08-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
ISO100 @f4 and 135mm because this critter was in our carport and I couldn't focus close with this lens at 300mm. No tripod as I had my arms propped up so they didn't move and camera didn't shake either.

08-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #114
Pentaxian

ISO100 @f4 and 135mm because this critter was in our carport and I couldn't focus close with this lens at 300mm. No tripod as I had my arms propped up so they didn't move and camera didn't shake either.
Ah. I would guess you didn't totally eliminate motion (hard to tell if it's the bug or your hands), but of course that problem just gets worse if you stop down, which would have been my next bit of advice. As you can see, DOF is extremely shallow at f/4, and the lens is probably not at it's best at that aperture, either. really, one of the big "secrets" in macro photography is that you need light and lots of it - enough to allow shooting at apertures like f/11 or f/16 and still get fast enough shutter speeds. Flash (usually ring flash, or off-camera flash that has been diffused) can help a lot; direct bright sun is really the only other light source that is typically bright enough.
08-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #115
Inactive Account

When you put the Raynox on a lens, the lens' actual f-stop goes down. To compensate for the loss in Depth of Field one can compensate by turning up the f-stop.

For the Raynox 150 on a 135mm lens an f-stop of greater than f16 might be appropriate.

Dave
08-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Thought I'd share this one photo I took using the DCR-150 last week. Don't know what you all think of this but as always, critique welcome.
It sounds to me like you're not terribly pleased with this image, but I think it's very interesting. Perhaps it isn't what you were trying to portray, but I feel a moodiness--a dark brooding maybe--that fits the critter. The shallow DOF adds the abstractness that accentuates the feeling. I like it.
08-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Steve. I was just trying to get the thing in focus.

I have another here, the only thing is, only part of it (the little silver horn) seems to be in focus and I used higher f stops on it. I believe this was taken at f11, on a sunny day outside. But now I can see there is more detail in these bugs then one can see with the naked eye.

09-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I see no one has commented on this last shot. I have one more subject I'm going to attempt to shoot with the adapter and if it does not work, I'm going to sell it here on PentaxForums Marketplace.

I'm too shaky to use this adapter.
09-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #119
Veteran Member

I see no one has commented on this last shot. I have one more subject I'm going to attempt to shoot with the adapter and if it does not work, I'm going to sell it here on PentaxForums Marketplace.

I'm too shaky to use this adapter.
What focal length did you shoot that bug at?

It can be pretty tough to use the DCR-150 handheld at low ISO, because you often need to be at f/16 or smaller. I frequently use f/25 - f/36 to obtain adequate DOF (especially when using a focal length of 200mm or more), and sometimes even that isn't enough. And I often use an external flash.
09-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
f/25 - f/36, my film camera doesn't have that option. And I wasn't hand holding the camera it was on a tripod. Still hard for me to use this, this way because the tripod is either too tall or too short, so I have to raise it to height then maneuver it close to the subject. Which for me is very difficult to do. I had it stopped down to f11. ISO was 400.