Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've just used my Raynox 150 a little bit, but I quickly found that a tripod or really sturdy support for arms/body is pretty much required to achieve any accuracy.

09-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #122
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I explained about my using a tripod. I also tried propping my elbows on a sturdy surface and shooting with this. It just isn't working for me.

While experimenting with this, I find that the tripod doesn't really help because even though my film camera is on the tripod, I have to move it in and out to get focus. Same with propping my elbows on a steady surface. Moving in and out I can't get focused.

What lens did you use Steve? I've been using my 70-300mm at 300mm. Tomorrow if the sun shines, I'm going to try a 50mm I have.
09-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Macro rails perhaps? I know many will pounce on me for suggesting some of the Ebay Chinese versions but if they do the job it makes them affordable.
09-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I explained about my using a tripod. I also tried propping my elbows on a sturdy surface and shooting with this. It just isn't working for me.

While experimenting with this, I find that the tripod doesn't really help because even though my film camera is on the tripod, I have to move it in and out to get focus. Same with propping my elbows on a steady surface. Moving in and out I can't get focused.

What lens did you use Steve? I've been using my 70-300mm at 300mm. Tomorrow if the sun shines, I'm going to try a 50mm I have.
Yeah, the tripod is very difficult to use with the DCR-150, because of how you have to focus.

I would say that lately I use a focal length of 90mm-240mm, using the Tammy 70-300. And, naturally, the longer the FL, the more I need to brace myself and also use the external flash. It can be really tough, but also very rewarding when the shot turns out well.

09-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #125
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, we'll see tomorrow if it works for me or not. I have a spider crab on ice I'm going to shoot and see if I can some sort of photo using the DCR-150 on a 50mm. I'm not sure of the mechanics of this, whether the 50mm will give me enough reach or I'm going to be butting up against the crab.
09-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #126
Pentaxian

With the Raynox 150 (or any closeup lens), the focal lenght of the lens has no bearing on the focus distance. You will be forced to focus at around 7 inches away regardless of the focal length of the lens. Longer focal lengths give more magnification at that focal length. The 50 won't allow you to focus any closer than the 135 does; it will simply provide less magnification (and hence slightly more DOF for a given aperture, which should work in your favor). But the real trick will remain getting enough light on the subject to get a higher enough shutter speed to avoid camera shake at a small enough aperture to get a DOF more of than a hair's breadth. This has nothing to do with the Raynox; it's just a perpetual issue with all macro photography.
09-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #127
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Marc. I'm going to try this with the crab in bright sunlight (its shining brightly outside today for once). I have not tried the 135 with this yet, or I did but couldn't focus with it, might try that too today.

So, 7 inches, eh? okay got that down now.
09-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Marc's assessment of focus distance is consistent with my experience (I've only used mine with the DA 50-200 and like it best at 135 where I get about 1:1). I didn't know definitively, however, that focal length has no effect on macro focusing distance. Good to know (as so much of Marc's other advice is).

09-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #129
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
Marc's assessment of focus distance is consistent with my experience (I've only used mine with the DA 50-200 and like it best at 135 where I get about 1:1). I didn't know definitively, however, that focal length has no effect on macro focusing distance. Good to know (as so much of Marc's other advice is).
If you put a Close-up lens like a Raynox 150 in front of a normal lens focused at infinity, the Close-up lens will be its focal length away from the subject when in-focus and combination's magnification will be the focal length of the normal lens divided by the focal length of the close-up lens.

The focal-length of the Raynox 150 is about 1000/4.8 diopters = 208mm (8.2"). On a 135mm lens focused at infinity this is a magnification of 135/208=0.65X.

If you turn the focus ring on the 135mm lens, you'll be able to move a little closer to the subject (maybe 25mm) and the magnification will correspondingly increase.

Dave
09-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #130
Forum Member

A few on my first outing with the DCR-150. I was using it on my Tamron 75-300. The first, yellow flower was about the size of a nickel.

As this was my first outing using the lens, it was quite difficult..but alot of fun! It's crazy how when you're looking through the lens trying to get that perfect focus, everything around you fades away. You're in your own little world.

09-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
I didn't know definitively, however, that focal length has no effect on macro focusing distance. Good to know (as so much of Marc's other advice is).
Thanks! Just to clarify, though - it has no effect *when using the Raynox 150* - it's not that macro photography in general is always done around 7 inches. The effect of the 150 is to make the "infinity" mark on *any* lens focus at around 7 inches (or maybe it's 8, I forget - it also depends on where you measure from). You can certainly get a lens to focus even closer by turning the focus ring to the minimum distance instead of infinity. But for most lenses, this only bring the focus in by another inch or so. That's assuming the minimum focus distance for the lens without the Raynox is maybe a meter or so. A macro lens that is able to focus within, say, 6 inches at minimum focus distance, might be able to even closer than that with the Raynox. I don't have a macro lens to try that with.
09-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #132
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Marc and all. I took the Raynox and the camera outside today and shot some photos of my spider crab. I used different mm and wrote them down so I'd remember which was which. I also wrote down which F stop for each photo. I'll get them developed tomorrow and post later in the evening.

Then I had to throw the crab away cause he was starting to stink.
09-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #133
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried to get the tip of the nose in focus but those didn't turn out well. Here are a couple I did of him/her. This is a Spider Crab that got caught in our crab trap. I decided to keep it to experiment with the DCR-150.

First one was shot at 135mm, 200ISO, F11

Second one is a photo of a barnacle attached to his back:

Tell me what you think.
09-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #134
Pentaxian

I like the first, even though I really have no idea what I'm looking at.

Don't they have flowers where you live? :-)
09-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #135
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Mark. Sure I have flowers but I've yet to get them in focus using that adapter.

The link shows you what he looks like in the whole.

eNature: FieldGuides: Species Detail

I didn't take one of the whole body.